This Device is not Supported

robandcathy1

so with the new email about alexa voice, I was excited to try it out, did some research and trouble shooting. I was able for the most part get pretty far, here is where I stand. im on ver 5.0.13D I have 33 devices, my isy portal is linked (and has been for a year) voice commands work with alexa (well as good as possible) I can control all devices via the alexa app so far all is good, but since today is sat I decided to try to set up alexa to talk back as outlined in email a few days ago. reading that things had to be switch or motion,changed the status of a light switch from light to contact, had error this device is not supported. rediscovered devices and same issue. Tried same with another switch and again the error. Now im by no means a programmer and was trying to keep it simple at first eg. set switch up and if pressed alexa would say xxx is on. So if that worked I would venture on and experiment further. So any help getting this fixed would be great.

I also mentioned this in past it might be a great idea that there could be a section for people less knowledgeable about programming  to be able to hire someone with skills to write more complex skills and get paid via paypal or something. Better yet RDP into a system and help clean up stuff or troubleshoot outside normal udi business hours. Me personally work during those same hours so it difficult to call. Again thanks in advanced

EDIT as I was on phone with Amazon went back to give them the error and it started working, their answer is it takes servers up to 24  hours to register the changes. Amazingly you can buy and pay for items in seconds

1 hour ago, robandcathy1 said:

so with the new email about alexa voice, I was excited to try it out, did some research and trouble shooting. I was able for the most part get pretty far, here is where I stand. im on ver 5.0.13D I have 33 devices, my isy portal is linked (and has been for a year) voice commands work with alexa (well as good as possible) I can control all devices via the alexa app so far all is good, but since today is sat I decided to try to set up alexa to talk back as outlined in email a few days ago. reading that things had to be switch or motion,changed the status of a light switch from light to contact, had error this device is not supported. rediscovered devices and same issue. Tried same with another switch and again the error. Now im by no means a programmer and was trying to keep it simple at first eg. set switch up and if pressed alexa would say xxx is on. So if that worked I would venture on and experiment further. So any help getting this fixed would be great.

I also mentioned this in past it might be a great idea that there could be a section for people less knowledgeable about programming  to be able to hire someone with skills to write more complex skills and get paid via paypal or something. Better yet RDP into a system and help clean up stuff or troubleshoot outside normal udi business hours. Me personally work during those same hours so it difficult to call. Again thanks in advanced

The error "this device is not supported" is shown when the chosen device is not a motion sensor or a contact sensor.

This list of devices currently includes devices that are not yet supported, such as doorlocks. Choosing a doorlock would give you that message. Please double check that you are adding the correct device to your routine. If you just created or changed the type and rediscovered, refresh the Alexa list of devices by swiping down.

Another troubleshooting tip, first go to Alexa Devices, locate the device, and make sure that you can see the motion sensor being detected/not detected, or contact sensor open/close.

Benoit

Hey Benoit..great to see someone providing so much help on this stuff!

I have gone through all the steps to get these routines setup and even done as you suggested above (verified the alexa app can see motion detected from a motion sensor). I've setup the routine properly as far as I can tell, but Alexa never actually says anything. I've also tried the same thing with an IO linc to no avail.

I have an up and running portal account, ISY, and the latest version of the Alexa app running on my phone. And to be clear, I have (for a while now), had Alexa controlling lights and other insteon devices very reliably, so I know that my connection to the devices and Alexa is working.

I'm just somehow missing the final piece or something is not set right. I've attached a screenshot of my routine for reference. It seems like it should work, but no matter what I try, she will not actually say anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

File Oct 06, 3 44 06 PM.jpeg

@Tuckerdude , Make sure that Live Update is checked in your ISY Portal. I went through the same struggles as you are only to discover that Live Update was not checked. I checked Live Update and then followed these instructions from Benoit:

1. Disable the skill, then re-enable the skill. 
  2. Delete the routine and re-create the routine

I edited my post to reflect that unlike isy and most real world wants that change in a second amazingly amazon takes up to 24 hours, as I was on tech support with them the changes took place about 6 hours after my post also for reference I did manage to make the status of a switch to contact and every time the switch was turned on my echo would announce my custom phrase, but it dose take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5min to do it again. Maybe one of the admins can rewrite this in their own word and sticky it. When I get time ill try to write a detailed hands on walk through for new people to help the community

2 minutes ago, robandcathy1 said:

I edited my post to reflect that unlike isy and most real world wants that change in a second amazingly amazon takes up to 24 hours, as I was on tech support with them the changes took place about 6 hours after my post also for reference I did manage to make the status of a switch to contact and every time the switch was turned on my echo would announce my custom phrase, but it dose take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5min to do it again. Maybe one of the admins can rewrite this in their own word and sticky it. When I get time ill try to write a detailed hands on walk through for new people to help the community

Are you saying that you had to wait 24 hours for the Amazon servers to register if you change a device's type from the Portal? or from the Alexa app! Totally agree that a step-by-step would be a good idea. I'm thinking of doing the same on my end as it's not completely obvious how this stuff works!

yes I played with isy and amazon for hours trying this and that and knowing that udi is on top of things (also thinking amazon) after 6 hours I called amazon and while on the phone call I tried to give them the error we\hen I noticed  it was now working and they said might take 24 hours because those servers are different from shopping servers. But once set up changes should be instant bare in mind the 30 to 5min wait

Archived