Dimming through Alexa changes local on setting?

brianp6621

I am a long time ISY/Alexa/Insteon user but hadn't messed with it in a while after the initial setup in the old house. Now I've completely rebuilt the system at the new house and I'm running into an issue I don't remember.

I am using 2477D switches, alexa, and mobilinc connect.

I have a single device for my whole bedroom. The issue happens when I try to dim. If I say "turn on bedroom to 50%" or "Dim bedroom to 50%", it properly dims the light but ALSO changes the local on setting of the switch to 50%. I can watch this in the admin console. This means that if I later just turn off the light and then turn it back on, either locally or through alexa, it does to the last dimmed setting. I don't want that. I don't ever remember my old setup doing that before.

What's going on?

Hi @brianp6621

This is how we've implemented the Alexa skill for dimming. It "remembers" the last state it was in by setting the local ON level to the dim percentage. We're considering changing this to only adjust the percentage and not the ON Level, but that would mean the dimming device wouldn't remember the last setting. Also the Alexa app will seem to work a little differently with dimmers as you couldn't adjust ON Level without also turning on the light. If you have additional questions or feedback you can reach us best at: support@mobilinc.com

Wes

Thanks Wes,

Well good to know at least that it is working as designed (did this ever change because I don't remember it being this way in my other house, in fact I'm almost certain it didn't as I used to use it in my bedroom all the time).

I would strongly push for the dim not adjusting the ON level. To me if I want a specific light to have an on level less than 100% (like when I replaced my 6" incandescent cans with LEDs that were much too bright) the user should set that manually. But a temporary dim can be a completely dynamic request specific to that environment/needs at the time the command is given and shouldn't (IMO obviously) have a lasting effect.

Ok, I found a way around this.

I just created a program that everytime that switch is turned off, it sets the on level back to 100%.

However I noticed something else odd. When the device is off and I tell alexa to set or dim it to 50% it goes to full on first and I have to issue the command again. If the device is on first it dims to 50% on the first command.

Why is that?

Archived