Google Home Hub

asbril

I now have had the Google Home Hub for two weeks and would like to share my impressions.

I am not overwhelmed by this device. I already had several Google Home devices and  like them. Voice control of my ISY linked Zwave devices generally works well.

On the Hub I can also control my devices. However, though I can switch ON or OFF, and even DIM and Brighten these devices, there is no indication whether the lights are actually ON or OFF. It shows switches on the screen with ON or OFF but these do not actually show current status. Furthermore, frequently when switching a device on OR or OFF (and it does what I select), there is an error message that the device is not connected to my Wifi. Obviously my ISY linked devices (all Zwave) are not connected to Wifi.

The Google Hub has no camera. Some may find this an advantage in terms of privacy, others may find this a limitation compared to similar devices by Amazon and Facebook.

The hub looks nice as a clock (default screen is time), but other than that I don't use the screen functions very often. I find so far limited advantage of the visual versus the voice control, especially taking into account the price differential.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

I now have had the Google Home Hub for two weeks and would like to share my impressions.

I am not overwhelmed by this device. I already had several Google Home devices and  like them. Voice control of my ISY linked Zwave devices generally works well.

On the Hub I can also control my devices. However, though I can switch ON or OFF, and even DIM and Brighten these devices, there is no indication whether the lights are actually ON or OFF. It shows switches on the screen with ON or OFF but these do not actually show current status. Furthermore, frequently when switching a device on OR or OFF (and it does what I select), there is an error message that the device is not connected to my Wifi. Obviously my ISY linked devices (all Zwave) are not connected to Wifi.

The Google Hub has no camera. Some may find this an advantage in terms of privacy, others may find this a limitation compared to similar devices by Amazon and Facebook.

The hub looks nice as a clock (default screen is time), but other than that I don't use the screen functions very often. I find so far limited advantage of the visual versus the voice control, especially taking into account the price differential.

I keep telling you to come over to the Dark side = Alexa! :)

What is the basic difference between the GH Hub and regular GH devices?
I hear screen with clock for looks. Do you connect directly to it or via the GH app?

BTW: I rebuilt my GH stuff from scratch again and the casting involving my Onkyo receiver is kind of cool. (The initialisation each time is very time consuming) I don't usually do much streaming but the synchro with four devices around the house is very amazing. This exemplifies the ridiculous price of Sonos speakers very well now. (I have none...it was some of those,  or a new luxury car :) )
On the similar vein I see iHome stuff (brand?) is supporting Alexa using  larger speakers and other gadgets where an Echo puck drops into the top of volcano holes and enhances sound etc...

I've played around with Alexa a little bit. My main concern with it is on the Fire Devices I have to use my Amazon account. So if I used these devices around the house anybody using it can go into my Amazon account and go on a shopping spree. I've tried to make a fake family account within my Amazon account but the Fire won't associate with this account only my own. Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, larryllix said:

I keep telling you to come over to the Dark side = Alexa! :)

What is the basic difference between the GH Hub and regular GH devices?
I hear screen with clock for looks. Do you connect directly to it or via the GH app?

BTW: I rebuilt my GH stuff from scratch again and the casting involving my Onkyo receiver is kind of cool. (The initialisation each time is very time consuming) I don't usually do much streaming but the synchro with four devices around the house is very amazing. This exemplifies the ridiculous price of Sonos speakers very well now. (I have none...it was some of those,  or a new luxury car :) )
On the similar vein I see iHome stuff (brand?) is supporting Alexa using  larger speakers and other gadgets where an Echo puck drops into the top of volcano holes and enhances sound etc...

Larry, I have nothing against Alexa and like it. I started with GH because my Son gave me one and then I got a few more. The set-up of the Hub is exactly like GH or Google Mini via the GH App. There IS a lot of info available on the screen but I don't really see much need for it myself. It is just my kitchen clock with GH voice control and a screen on top of it. There are nice gimmicks, such as when you cast a radio station it will show the song that is playing. and when ask for the weather it will actually show you what you would see in your browser...... nice but not used often.

Like you I have an audio setup, using Chromecast devices that are connected to an amplifier and speakers. There is one for audio in the living room and kitchen and another one in the master bathroom. I can instruct what to play by asking GH "Play radio station XYZ on Chromecast Bathroom".   I can even setup GH to automatically choose a specific Chromecast without having to specify which Chromecast every time. Before I was using Sonos but the radio stations stream was interrupted multiple times every day. This occurs a lot less with Chromecast, and I was able to sell my Sonos devices on Ebay close to the original purchase price (which I got with a  30 % discount at the time) and Chromecast gives me   better results and is so much cheaper.

What I really would want is to have a ISY program that instructs my Chromecast to play a specific radio station at a specific time.

34 minutes ago, asbril said:

Larry, I have nothing against Alexa and like it. I started with GH because my Son gave me one and then I got a few more. The set-up of the Hub is exactly like GH or Google Mini via the GH App. There IS a lot of info available on the screen but I don't really see much need for it myself. It is just my kitchen clock with GH voice control and a screen on top of it. There are nice gimmicks, such as when you cast a radio station it will show the song that is playing. and when ask for the weather it will actually show you what you would see in your browser...... nice but not used often.

Like you I have an audio setup, using Chromecast devices that are connected to an amplifier and speakers. There is one for audio in the living room and kitchen and another one in the master bathroom. I can instruct what to play by asking GH "Play radio station XYZ on Chromecast Bathroom".   I can even setup GH to automatically choose a specific Chromecast without having to specify which Chromecast every time. Before I was using Sonos but the radio stations stream was interrupted multiple times every day. This occurs a lot less with Chromecast, and I was able to sell my Sonos devices on Ebay close to the original purchase price (which I got with a  30 % discount at the time) and Chromecast gives me   better results and is so much cheaper.

What I really would want is to have a ISY program that instructs my Chromecast to play a specific radio station at a specific time.

The newer Onkyo receivers have Sonos support built in. My Onkyo Receiver (a year or two old) has Chromecast built now. When I bought the receiver I don't think Chromecast even existed. I am not sure if that was a recent upgrade though as I upgraded the software about a year ago. It works well alone by streaming at the GH command and shows that info on the front of the screen. I like it but will not likely use it unless I go to unlimited Internet bandwidth at extra cost per month.

I use my ISY to command the Onkyo (above) to receiver a few preset stations from Alexa and GH, the same. These are RF FM stations however but every third or fourth try GH likes to think it outsmarts me and stream the station instead of just sending the commands to ISY. The commands are completely different between the streaming command (no ISY required) and ISY commands directed to the Onkyo receiever (FM reception) excpept for one word in the name string, the nickname for the station, and again GH is using it's AI guessing to substitute what it thinks I wanted. Grrrrrr... Very annoying...so again my Alexa units get used instead, because they don't guess making errors. GH sound quality and listening quality in a noisy room is better, for sure.

Nothing is perfect, except for you and me and I am not so sure...... :)

I have played around now with both echo and google devices.  I am underwhelmed by both.  My particular hub has a bad habit of reverting back to “set up with google home” messages on the screen, but I think it is related to a particular location in the house (in proximity to ipads and other bluetooth devices).  

One thing I prefer with the hub is direct control over a roku device.  I also find it a little better at recognizing vocal commands than an echo.  I like the display of the home hub, also, but find it expensive for the value it offers.  I dont like voice control in a bedroom, so I find the hub to be not useful for the obvious location.  I dont like thatthere is very limited touch control for some very basic functions (like setting or disabling an alarm). 

On the echo, I like the “drop in” function as an intercomm.  

I really dont like that neither can be configured for specific hubs/echos to control specific, but different, harmony remotes.

I find both to be roughly equal at controlling my lighting and other devices.

8 minutes ago, larryllix said:

unlimited Internet bandwidth at extra cost per month

I fully understand. In our condo unlimited bandwidth comes included with our building maintenance fee.  At least one benefit coming from our too expensive condo maintenance.

Just now, asbril said:

I fully understand. In our condo unlimited bandwidth comes included with our building maintenance fee.  At least one benefit coming from our too expensive condo maintenance.

Wow! You are a well kept man! Hawaii and expensive condo? :)

I have my GH working better  (I thought) than previously. One that has me baffled badly yet. This works flawlessly with Alexa but with GH all the colours work fine except "Red"

Alexa/GH Turn on red headboard.
......OK turning on two red lights. Turns on my Gathering room Red lights also. Gathering room lights are just "Red Lights". I eliminated the ending word "Lights" or GH fails on all colours by operating all programs/lights/scenes with that colour name in them.
All colours I have tried work fine but GH, hearing the word "Red" turns on or off every device or program with the work "Red" in it?????

You seem to be doing better with GH. Maybe you know of some type of element name or reserved word I should be avoiding? I have just given up on GH except for more entertainment items, which it mostly performs better than Alexa.

The Google Home app on Android shows status for lights, but not scenes. This is the scene limitation of Insteon in action again.

If you are controlling scenes with your Google Home Hub then this would likely explain why they are not showing current state.

Can you confirm that you are exposing devices rather than scenes?

10 hours ago, larryllix said:

expensive condo

Never make assumptions...... Sometimes I wish living in a house in the prairie, having the freedom to do (almost) whatever I want. How is that luxury in Canada ?

BTW Comcast may try to change our condo contract when it expires in 3 years and take away the unlimited bandwidth. Hopefully there will be more competition so that we are not 'married' to Comcast.

10 hours ago, larryllix said:

Maybe you know of some type of element name or reserved word

The only thing that I consider a successful 'reserved' word use are the shortcuts for my Zwave curtains. Rather than using ON and OFF (which sounds weird) I can use Open and Close through the short cut option of GH.

8 hours ago, MWareman said:

The Google Home app on Android shows status for lights, but not scenes. This is the scene limitation of Insteon in action again.

If you are controlling scenes with your Google Home Hub then this would likely explain why they are not showing current state.

Can you confirm that you are exposing devices rather than scenes?

MWareman, I will have to check again. I am indeed using scenes but, if not mistaken, within the scene on the hub, I can see the individual devices without status. Later today I will try directly with devices (without scene).

Archived