ISY Portal Maintenance - 11-25-2018

bmercier

14 minutes ago, barrygordon said:

Something strange has started happening. <snip>

Why are you replying to an admin post from last year (2018)? I would say your problem isn't really related to this post. Should have started a new thread. 

But, to help, I'd say you probably have multiple verbals that might be too close in sound that Alexa is picking up that that might be two devices in your system. 

Ways to check:

On a computer go here: https://alexa.amazon.com/

Left side of screen click on "Smart Home" -> Devices - this lists all devices seen/known to Alexa. If you find there are multiple names you need to go to the ISY Portal and correct. Don't just delete/forget them on the Alexa site/page as they'll come back if you ever run discover devices again. 

Perhaps easiest fix is to just remove the device "Office Lights" from the ISY Portal, be sure to sync/refresh (the little circle icon at the top of the device list in the ISY Portal page). You might go back to the Alexa tab and refresh that list to see if it removed "Office Lights", if not then hit "Forget" on the right side of the device list. Then add the device back. 

I've found that if I have a device that I later assign a verbal name to that is too similar sounding sometimes Alexa cannot tell the two apart and gives up. 

Good luck. 

I selected this topic by mistake.  Alexa actually did have two things named office lights, one being marked off line.  I deleted the one marked as offline and the problem disappeared.  I guess I should listen to Alexa suggestions. Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have with good software like the ISY and my NAS I have is that they stay up for so long with no problems that I forget what I need to do when a problem comes up.  The NAS has been up for over 171 days, the longest stretch being over 500 days,  since I last rebooted it to change software version. The ISY has been up a similar amount of time for the same reboot condition. 

Archived