ISY integration with Ring Security

Is there any interest, other than by me, or has anyone been able to successfully connect the Z-Wave components of Ring's security devices to the ISY?  It would be great to be able to at least trigger home automation events when a door is left open or the system is armed, etc.  I was able to connect the gateway successfully to the ISY, and can see what I think are all of then nodes (I have 3 motion sensors, 4 door sensors, and two sirens), and I can actually trigger the sirens to sound, but that's is far as I've been able to go.

ISYRingCapture.PNG

Edited by zeusling

Well...it's been a few months since I connected the two together, and now I wish I would have noted the steps because I don't remember exactly.  I attempted to delete the connection this weekend and set it back up...unsuccessfully.  I was able to get one of the door sensors to connect directly to the ISY and it's reporting status.  I just can't seem to get it connected back to the ring gateway now.  I thought I read there was a way to put the ISY Z wave in more of a promiscuous mode where, which I think is what I was trying to to the first go round.  I'm going to have to keep playing with the devices to try to get this working again, sorry guys.

image.png.7013e68b4b4625d47452209f4fb00bb9.pngimage.png.48a3c41f7fc3bfec6157e8179436e2ba.png

I think I figured out how to add them back to the ISY.

1. Login to ISY admin and go to Z-Wave and Recive (Learn Mode)

2. Go to Ring app (I'm using Android) and pretend like you are going to add a new contact sensor, when you get to the point where it wants to scan for a QR code, click add manually and enter 12345.  Basically you want to get the app into the listening for device mode.  It will time out but keep clicking "Try Again" and "Got It" until your ISY console is done finding devices.

By doing this I was able to get the ISY back to where it found the Z-Wave stuff from the Ring.  It still doesn't do anything, hence the basis of the original post.

image.png.484ea19606c7a3edc3b1bf97f4fe64d7.png

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I see that there is Ring NodeServer now for use with Polyglot/ISY Portal, however it appears that support is limited to Ring doorbell and camera. Ring security is based on z-wave plus but it appears that there is still some proprietary behavior. For example, one can add other z-wave devices to Ring (e.g., I added monoprice contact sensor) however they report basic status in Ring app and cannot configure/trigger anything. It is not clear if there are similar issues in the other direction, i.e., trying to get ISY to recognize Ring z-wave devices.

image.png.204e2c99e059b52b0e3d41e3b7eed86e.png

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I'm using the Ring Node Server with their cameras. Nice substitute for a motion sensor... However the alarm would also be helpful. Specifically, triggering events based on door openings, or motion in an interior room (with the ring motion sensor, not camera).

Here's hoping it will be expanded.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm looking to revive this thread to see if there's been any advances on the above request.

I have a couple Yale z-wave locks that I'm considering adding to the Ring z-wave hub mostly for UI (wife thing) purposes, but I would like to take action from the ISY based on events triggered from code unlocks or other user interactions with the lock.

Has the nodeserver expanded to add some of their other products and does it allow for the enablement of viewing z-wave lock status?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, macbannai said:

I'm looking to revive this thread to see if there's been any advances on the above request.

I have a couple Yale z-wave locks that I'm considering adding to the Ring z-wave hub mostly for UI (wife thing) purposes, but I would like to take action from the ISY based on events triggered from code unlocks or other user interactions with the lock.

Has the nodeserver expanded to add some of their other products and does it allow for the enablement of viewing z-wave lock status?

That's not part of the Ring API so no.

If you can get the isy added as a secondary controller to Ring then you could do so. Not sure if this is possible however. You would want to contact Ring for that

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • 7 months later...

As Ring is an alarm system I understand it's need for security and not opening up potential vulnerabilities by allowing other systems access but a "read only" status of system arm state would do wonders for home automation. Examples: 1) system is armed and goes into alarm -> ISY turns on all lights. 2) system goes from disarmed to armed -> ISY waits x min and then turns off all lights. 3) system is armed and goes into entry delay -> ISY turns on hall light near keypad.

If we could just get a status only output of disarmed, home, away, entry delay, exit delay, and alarm it would both keep ring secure and allow so much more function of home automation!

33 minutes ago, DHogan said:

As Ring is an alarm system I understand it's need for security and not opening up potential vulnerabilities by allowing other systems access but a "read only" status of system arm state would do wonders for home automation. Examples: 1) system is armed and goes into alarm -> ISY turns on all lights. 2) system goes from disarmed to armed -> ISY waits x min and then turns off all lights. 3) system is armed and goes into entry delay -> ISY turns on hall light near keypad.

If we could just get a status only output of disarmed, home, away, entry delay, exit delay, and alarm it would both keep ring secure and allow so much more function of home automation!

I have this working but it will require a little lot of leg work (unless you are already familiar with setting up home assistant).  I setup https://www.home-assistant.io/ and used the following integrations: HACS, ISY, and Ring.  Between ISY and Home Assistant I have been able to automate an incredible amount of stuff.  With this setup it's not just "read only" but allows for 2 way communication which I prefer.  I like to be able to set the Ring alarm from the ISY and use the Ring motion/door sensors to trigger ISY programs, devices, etc...

Edited by isyrocks!
47 minutes ago, isyrocks! said:

I have this working but it will require a little lot of leg work (unless you are already familiar with setting up home assistant).  I setup https://www.home-assistant.io/ and used the following integrations: HACS, ISY, and Ring.  Between ISY and Home Assistant I have been able to automate an incredible amount of stuff.  With this setup it's not just "read only" but allows for 2 way communication which I prefer.  I like to be able to set the Ring alarm from the ISY and use the Ring motion/door sensors to trigger ISY programs, devices, etc...

I did some reading and I didn't see where the ring alarm status could be monitored by ISY. Can you make an ISY scene/program run when ring alarm is armed?

1 minute ago, DHogan said:

I did some reading and I didn't see where the ring alarm status could be monitored by ISY. Can you make an ISY scene/program run when ring alarm is armed?

Hi Yes, there are many different ways you can accomplish this using the integrations I mention above.  I am accomplishing this with in the "automations" section of Home Assistant.  Home Assistant is able to detect the Ring Alarm state (disarmed, armed, home) and when the state changes it is able to trigger an ISY scene, variable, program, etc.). If you are new to Home Assistant you will likely want to spend some time learning the fundamentals first which is what I did.

I've started home assistant on a raspberry p i4 and connected to Ring but no keypad or alarm status has appeared. I can see cams, Chimes, and sirens. I'll keep reading but I find little about ring alarm specifically. Any pointers would be much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, DHogan said:

I've started home assistant on a raspberry p i4 and connected to Ring but no keypad or alarm status has appeared. I can see cams, Chimes, and sirens. I'll keep reading but I find little about ring alarm specifically. Any pointers would be much appreciated. 

I sent you a PM.

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, JLee07 said:

I bought some Ring contact sensors for triggers on door and window status before reading this thread....  Are you saying the only way to get the "open/closed" functions to work is to use Home Assistant?

Yes, you can do that if you have the ring sensors tied to a ring security system and follow this thread: 

I don't believe you can connect ring sensors directly to a zwave controller.