Smart Thermostat Insteon - Turning Off

Just recently I have found the home furnace turned off with the Smart Thermostat in the off position.  I have had this Thermostat for many years 3+ and have had no issues.  This is now the 3rd time in two weeks I have found the systems off.  Once I turn the thermostat back on and restore the devise from ISY dashboard, I can restart the furnace.  The last occurrence of this has been just over the last 6-7 days.  I though I was good until this evening.  I started to feel the temperature  dropping in the house and upon investigation, found the furnace and thermostat in the off position.  

Not sure where to begin my investigation or if the Thermostat needs to be replaced.  I also have a module connect to the furnace that adds what I believe is the 5th wire to the original thermostat configuration.  Again not sure if it's the thermostat or module causing this.  Just not sure where to begin the investigation, or what needs to be replaced.  

Thanks,
Rudy

1. ITEM #: 2441TH. Insteon Remote Control Wall Thermostat. 

2. Linked to ISY.  Shows on dashboard

3. Had a program that turns the stat down 2 degrees at 9 p.m.   up 2 degrees next day 6 a.m.  however this program was not enable.  I was away and disabled the program.  Was not running during the failures.  

Thanks for you quick response.  

R

Those stats are known to be sensitive to motor noise causing them to crash.

Have you done a search for other occurrences of your stat mentioned in other programs or checked for scenes using it?

Have tried to compare the stat's links to your ISY database?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

No other links or scenes connected.  Just the one and only program.  Just odd to me that I am starting to have trouble, and all occurring within the last 2 weeks and at various time lines.  One day two failures, 6 days later another failure.   I’ll check the wiring at the stat and furnace in the morning.  

R

To Larry’s point, I had this problem. After repeated heating calls, the igniters for my 2 gas furnaces would overwhelm the 2441ths, they would switch modes and sometimes eventually lock up. In the summer or with infrequent heat calls, it was fine.

Since it was within the first few months of purchase, smarthome eventually refunded me and I moved on to something else.

There’s a very long thread around here from about 3 years ago. In that thread, someone added filters or something on the wiring between the 2441th and the furnace and my understanding is that it fixed it.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s for your feedback Paul.  I actually had issues at the original purchase time years ago and retuned / replaced the thermostat within 3-4 of purchasing.   Should have been a clue I guess.   But like I said I’ve had no issues with the thermostat for the last three + years.   

This morning upon waking, again I found the furnace/stat in the off position.  I have now disabled the program and re-created a new program that alerts me via email when the stat turns off.  Still trying to understand the failure point.  Thus far I have had 7 hrs continuous heat.  YAY

R

That’s for your feedback Paul.  I actually had issues at the original purchase time years ago and retuned / replaced the thermostat within 3-4 of purchasing.   Should have been a clue I guess.   But like I said I’ve had no issues with the thermostat for the last three + years.   
This morning upon waking, again I found the furnace/stat in the off position.  I have now disabled the program and re-created a new program that alerts me via email when the stat turns off.  Still trying to understand the failure point.  Thus far I have had 7 hrs continuous heat.  YAY
R
I have two 2441zth units. They work ok and probes.

3 to 4 years ago these were some of very few options.

My Davis weather station recorded -35.2 F just before dawn this morning.

Any thermostat that behaves as yours does would be in the trash can, with no hesitation.  Automation of HVAC is not like automation of lighting -- there's real engineering required to make a thermostat that's reliable, and fail-safe -- and Insteon hasn't met the bar (in fact, most of the alternatives also fail to meet the bar).  Based on this thread and the many others like it on this forum, just say "NO" to automation of thermostats.

My Davis weather station recorded -35.2 F just before dawn this morning.
Any thermostat that behaves as yours does would be in the trash can, with no hesitation.  Automation of HVAC is not like automation of lighting -- there's real engineering required to make a thermostat that's reliable, and fail-safe -- and Insteon hasn't met the bar (in fact, most of the alternatives also fail to meet the bar).  Based on this thread and the many others like it on this forum, just say "NO" to automation of thermostats.
I go for remote automation and mostly internal stat automation but with ecobee and NodeLink I can never mess with temperatures but rather mess with the climate presets from ISY only.

Having said that, I do use ISY to monitor the set points and resultant temperatures they indicate as leftovers from using less secure methods.

I use deadbands of 0.5c or less. The Insteon stats would have sweating and then chilled several times per day with their horrible inaccuracy so prevalent in stats full of heat generating components, these days.

I've been using the Honeywell z-wave thermostats and they are rock solid.  Never had an issue.

I'm also using the GoControl z-wave thermostats in my mountain home as my boiler is only two-wire, and those have been rock solid as well.

I have daily programs to change temps at night while I'm around, and vacation modes for when away.

I turn on the thermostats in my mountain home several hours before heading up so the place is warm when I arrive.

I use 4 Insteon stats (2 hardwired and 2 remote) with two gas furnaces. I don't ever recall having a stat shut off or turn on by itself. If there is a spurious signal coming back up the 24v line, you might be able to kill it by taking a small ferrous toroid ring (found on the AC input of many electric devices and power supplies) and running all the signal lines to the furnace thru it a couple of wraps. That should kill any higher frequency interference on the line and it is cheap to try. Just bury it behind the stat so it doesn't touch the circuit boards. 

BTW @larryllix I wrote a very simple program for the ISY that dithers the insteon thermostat up and down 1 degree F when the AC is on every 20-30 minutes and it keeps the room temp very close to my chosen set point. Now I can sleep in the summer very comfortably. 

Archived