MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: MobiLinc X for iOS and Android

InsteonNut

Hi Folks,

After a year in development, I'm VERY excited to announce MobiLinc X for iOS and Android.

I launched MobiLinc 10 years ago this month and have been blown away by the support the community has shown me and the continued investment over the last decade. MobiLinc X is a full evolution on what a mobile app should be for home automation, your family, and ease of use for ISY controllers and our MobiLinc Connect service.

MobiLinc X features:

• iOS and Android are identical and will remain in sync with features, changes, enhancements, etc.
  • Supports Lights, Thermostats, Garage Doors, Doors, Outlets, Irrigation, Leak Sensors, Motion, Scenes, ONVIF Cameras, Programs, Variables, Fans, Rooms, ELK Security, and Weather.
  • Supports full ISY configuration including creating/editing/deleting rooms, devices, scenes. Admin Console is not required.
  • Instant startup status and control of any device, scene, program, variable, security item.
  • Supports Family Management with creating admin and user accounts. Accounts are shared with a QR Code. No usernames/passwords are required to get family members connected.
    • Admin Users have full control and can edit/change/delete items.
    • User accounts can control items only. Can not edit.
  • Supports up to two ISYs.
  • Add/Change/Delete Alexa or Google Home spoken names right from the app. Quickly see all your spoken items in one view.
  • Feature Request: Upvote and suggest new features. See what I'm working on next and vote for the next feature to get added to MobiLinc X.
  • Requires MobiLinc Connect.

Beta testing will launch tomorrow for iOS and will run limited for about a week to get early and wide feedback. A full launch of iOS and Android is scheduled for later this month.

Monitor this post for the iOS public beta tester link tomorrow as well as further beta tester instructions.

Wes

UPDATE 2-21-2019: Beta testing has closed. Apps have been submitted to Apple/Google for review.

UPDATE 2-22-2019: Apps are now live in the App Store and Google Play:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobilinc-x/id1449594859?ls=1&mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileintegratedsolutions.mobilincx

Screen_Shot_2019-02-03_at_2_22_22_PM.png

Sounds exciting. Can you please clarify a couple things that initially come to mind?

- Is this an upgrade of the current app or something that requires a new purchase ?
- You mention “require MobiLinc connect”. Is that for the entire app or certain features?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @TrojanHorse

Thanks for the questions.

24 minutes ago, TrojanHorse said:

- Is this an upgrade of the current app or something that requires a new purchase ?

This is a new app called "MobiLinc X" for iOS and Android. It's free to download and try for 14 days. After 14 days you can either cancel or continue with the MobiLinc X subscription. Pricing is still being worked, but there are three service levels depending on the features you want. No additional in-app purchases required. It's a one subscription price, simplified pricing model with everything included at that level. Family members just need the free MobiLinc X app and get access to your ISY with the Family Account Management feature from the paid account holder.

26 minutes ago, TrojanHorse said:

- You mention “require MobiLinc connect”. Is that for the entire app or certain features? 

The entire app. MobiLinc X requires that the ISY have the MobiLinc Portal installed. A MobiLinc X subscription replaces the current MobiLinc Connect subscription for the current MobiLinc Pro/HD apps. MobiLinc X is highly integrated with our backend servers for MobiLinc Connect which allows us to do things not possible with a direct IP connection like an instant startup with status and control along with real-time syncing of your ISY configuration and custom settings between all your iOS and Android devices...all synced and saved in MobiLinc Connect.

Wes 

13 hours ago, InsteonNut said:

Hi @TrojanHorse

Thanks for the questions.

This is a new app called "MobiLinc X" for iOS and Android. It's free to download and try for 14 days. After 14 days you can either cancel or continue with the MobiLinc X subscription. Pricing is still being worked, but there are three service levels depending on the features you want. No additional in-app purchases required. It's a one subscription price, simplified pricing model with everything included at that level. Family members just need the free MobiLinc X app and get access to your ISY with the Family Account Management feature from the paid account holder.

The entire app. MobiLinc X requires that the ISY have the MobiLinc Portal installed. A MobiLinc X subscription replaces the current MobiLinc Connect subscription for the current MobiLinc Pro/HD apps. MobiLinc X is highly integrated with our backend servers for MobiLinc Connect which allows us to do things not possible with a direct IP connection like an instant startup with status and control along with real-time syncing of your ISY configuration and custom settings between all your iOS and Android devices...all synced and saved in MobiLinc Connect.

Wes 

Hi Wes - sincerely hoping you aren't going to require lifetime MobiLinc Connect/Orchestrated MobiLinc subscribers to purchase all over again... That would not be great customer service to say the least... I opted for the higher cost of a lifetime subscription to avoid ongoing fees, so not wanting to be "punished" now for the decision to pay so much more initially...

Hi @Greg P.

As I mentioned in the original post, pricing hasn't been finalized yet including the MobiLinc X upgrade path for lifetime members. Feel free to shoot me your thoughts on what looks like a fair upgrade path to MobiLinc X to support@mobilinc.com. I'm open to suggestions and ideas. There's a number of paths I'm considering and I'd like to hear from you.

Wes

Hi @asbril

MobiLinc X requires MobiLinc Connect. Since Polyglot Cloud is an ISY Portal feature only, you would lose that integration, but keep the local Polyglot and Nodelink integrations assuming that these don't also require ISY Portal. 

Depending on your needs for Polyglot cloud, I would encourage you to consider using our IFTTT channel for MobiLinc Connect that integrates thousands of products and services with your ISY: https://ifttt.com/mobilinc

Wes

2 hours ago, InsteonNut said:

Hi @asbril

MobiLinc X requires MobiLinc Connect. Since Polyglot Cloud is an ISY Portal feature only, you would lose that integration, but keep the local Polyglot and Nodelink integrations assuming that these don't also require ISY Portal. 

Depending on your needs for Polyglot cloud, I would encourage you to consider using our IFTTT channel for MobiLinc Connect that integrates thousands of products and services with your ISY: https://ifttt.com/mobilinc

Wes

Thanks Wes, I will need to study this a bit more. I just recently learned to install the RPi and install Polyglot, Polyglot Cloud and  Nodelink. The first two work without problem and I need to resolve Nodelink, but generally when something works well I prefer not to change.... (That is why I am still happily married  ?)

Sounds like a great app. Unfortunately a non-starter for me due to mobilinc-connect.  Unless I misunderstand with MC if the internet connection to isy is down (at isp level) then ML-X would not function?  IE no route to isy from ML servers?

Same here. I was hoping for an upgrade for Mobilinc Pro (android) which I still use. My ISY sends me my ISP IP address every day while I am on vacation. I don't need to write and edit ISY programs while on vacation.

I had a DDNS service that worked wonderfully for about two years while I never depended on it, fail on me while I was on a three week cruise a few years ago. Now I avoid those third party things as much as possible.

It's bad enough depending on an unbacked up router, let alone a few more data jump stops to break.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The competition between ISY Portal and Mobilinc Connect is unfortunate, and now one of my favorite front-ends for the ISY and Insteon has gone all in and is requiring users to choose one or the other. Too bad.

But it's this kind of built-in incompatibility and desire to dominate the entire stack that has plagued home automation for decades. Imagine if the Internet had evolved this way!

Sounds like a great app. Unfortunately a non-starter for me due to mobilinc-connect.  Unless I misunderstand with MC if the internet connection to isy is down (at isp level) then ML-X would not function?  IE no route to isy from ML servers?

Same here. The requirement to switch to Mobilinc Connect and the cloud dependency to use the app to control local devices makes this a complete non-starter for me.

I just renewed ML Connect a few weeks ago thinking there was an Android update coming. Sounds like this subscription will not support the update. Very disappointed. Wish I had gone with ISY Portal now.

12 hours ago, eyaniv said:

ML-X is crashing on startup. it was working most of the day, but now it's crashing. last I did was defining 3 rooms and moving switches to these rooms

Hi, @eyaniv I sent you a follow-up email for more information and a couple of things to try. Thanks for the report.

Wes

On 2/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, InsteonNut said:

Hi Folks,

After a year in development, I'm VERY excited to announce MobiLinc X for iOS and Android.

I launched MobiLinc 10 years ago this month and have been blown away by the support the community has shown me and the continued investment over the last decade. MobiLinc X is a full evolution on what a mobile app should be for home automation, your family, and ease of use for ISY controllers and our MobiLinc Connect service.

MobiLinc X features:

• iOS and Android are identical and will remain in sync with features, changes, enhancements, etc.
  • Supports Lights, Thermostats, Garage Doors, Doors, Outlets, Irrigation, Leak Sensors, Motion, Scenes, ONVIF Cameras, Programs, Variables, Fans, Rooms, ELK Security, and Weather.
  • Supports full ISY configuration including creating/editing/deleting rooms, devices, scenes. Admin Console is not required.
  • Instant startup status and control of any device, scene, program, variable, security item.
  • Supports Family Management with creating admin and user accounts. Accounts are shared with a QR Code. No usernames/passwords are required to get family members connected.
    • Admin Users have full control and can edit/change/delete items.
    • User accounts can control items only. Can not edit.
  • Supports up to two ISYs.
  • Add/Change/Delete Alexa or Google Home spoken names right from the app. Quickly see all your spoken items in one view.
  • Feature Request: Upvote and suggest new features. See what I'm working on next and vote for the next feature to get added to MobiLinc X.
  • Requires MobiLinc Connect.

Beta testing will launch tomorrow for iOS and will run limited for about a week to get early and wide feedback. A full launch of iOS and Android is scheduled for later this month.

Monitor this post for the iOS public beta tester link tomorrow as well as further beta tester instructions.

Wes

UPDATE: Beta Testing is now live: https://testflight.apple.com/join/526E9zi9  

BETA TESTER INSTRUCTIONS:
Anyone with an iPhone can use the link to get added to the public beta test for MobiLinc X. Simply tap the link from your iPhone to install or launch TestFlight which will deliver MobiLinc X to your iPhone.

After MobiLinc X Install:
- You'll need to add the MobiLinc Portal to your ISY if you don't already have it. Open the Admin Console and go to Help->Purchase Modules to install the MobiLinc Portal. Then Help->Manage Modules to install.
- Once your ISY reboots, the MobiLinc X app.
- Pick a subscription and choose yearly. You will NOT be charged.
- Once "purchased" with your iTunes account, log in with your MobiLinc Connect subscription OR create a new account if you are new to MobiLinc Connect.
- Add your ISY when prompted.

IMPORTANT: Once you are up and running, you must email me at: support@mobilinc.com with your MobiLinc Connect email address so I can enable your subscription for the week. TestFlight test subscriptions are only valid for about an hour.

Screen_Shot_2019-02-03_at_2_22_22_PM.png

My Subscription is now due.  Should I wait for the new Mobilinc X which has the functionality I truly need or will we be able to roll over into this new app when it completes the beta testing? 

Hi @Hatchman

29 minutes ago, Hatchman said:

My Subscription is now due.  Should I wait for the new Mobilinc X which has the functionality I truly need or will we be able to roll over into this new app when it completes the beta testing? 

If you need access today, Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, etc, then I would say renew to keep access as we're finishing up the app with the end of the month target. There will be an upgrade path for those that recently renewed and would like to switch to MobiLinc X. I'm still working out the details on this but will have this announced by the time we go to the App Stores for release.

Wes

24 hours of usage - here's my first impressions:

• overall - very impressive update. looks good, and gives us more admin functionality.
  • I like the fact that you can eliminate the need for admin console on few simple things - voice names, simple scene management, folder work, etc. however, you still need the admin console for all of the "complex" things - mixed scenes, programs, debugging, etc.
  • Folder in ISY = rooms in the app. it is working only for folders created in the app, but the sync between them is quite funky. App should get all of the folder information from ISY, without the need for "shadow" DB on the cloud.
  • Need a way to "hide" devices from the interface - i.e. 2 Insteon switches that control the same light via a scene - I'd like to show the scene and hide the individual devices, or all of the polyglot controllers. old MB used to be sensitive to a prefix, that would indicate the device to be hidden.
  • would like to hide unused groups from the main screen - I don't have an ISY connected sprinkler controller, yet I still need to see 0 sensors on the irrigation tile.
  • instead or in addition of the recently used devices, can I add favorites?
  • love the search bar under lighting, but why just lights? can we have a search bar at the main screen for everything?

Thanks for all of the work

Eran

1 hour ago, InsteonNut said:

Hi @Hatchman

If you need access today, Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, etc, then I would say renew to keep access as we're finishing up the app with the end of the month target. There will be an upgrade path for those that recently renewed and would like to switch to MobiLinc X. I'm still working out the details on this but will have this announced by the time we go to the App Stores for release.

Wes

Thanks Wes...

Thanks @eyaniv

3 minutes ago, eyaniv said:

Folder in ISY = rooms in the app. it is working only for folders created in the app, but the sync between them is quite funky. App should get all of the folder information from ISY, without the need for "shadow" DB on the cloud.

There is no shadow DB. Everything is live from the ISY. Folders are created in the ISY and propagated through back to MobiLinc X. There may be a UI bug here. Do you have the steps I can use to reproduce?

4 minutes ago, eyaniv said:

Need a way to "hide" devices from the interface - i.e. 2 Insteon switches that control the same light via a scene - I'd like to show the scene and hide the individual devices, or all of the polyglot controllers. old MB used to be sensitive to a prefix, that would indicate the device to be hidden.

Add a tilde (~) in front of anything you want to hide. You can turn this on and off under Settings->Current Account->ISY.

5 minutes ago, eyaniv said:
  • would like to hide unused groups from the main screen - I don't have an ISY connected sprinkler controller, yet I still need to see 0 sensors on the irrigation tile.
  • instead or in addition of the recently used devices, can I add favorites?

Both of these are under Feature Requests. Make sure to Upvote for these.

6 minutes ago, eyaniv said:

can we have a search bar at the main screen for everything?

It's possible to do. May think on this and add it to the Feature Request for voting.

Wes

13 minutes ago, InsteonNut said:

There is no shadow DB. Everything is live from the ISY. Folders are created in the ISY and propagated through back to MobiLinc X. There may be a UI bug here. Do you have the steps I can use to reproduce?

I had an isy account with folders, however, upon launching MB-X, there were no rooms at all.

Created rooms in MB-X, and realized that they are creating folders in ISY. the only way for me to see the rooms, was to create them in the app, and drag and drop the devices from my existing folders to the new ones.

renaming a folder that was pre-existing in ISY still does not show it in MB-X.

creating a new folder in ISY (after the first MB-X connection) will show it as a room in MB-X. this condition is only for folders that were created before the first MB-X connection.

Thanks

eyaniv

Archived