MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: MobiLinc X for iOS and Android

InsteonNut

New update - 

I removed the app, rebooted ISY, reinstalled the app (build 14), and saw no rooms / folders. did the trick to create new folders in ISY, which they appeared in the app as rooms, only the newly created. existing ones are still gone.

however, once I moved the devices from the old folders to the new folders (in ISY admin), all reflected in the app, except for my scenes - the app reported I have 0 scenes.

closed and reopened the app, and it is now crashing on startup.

This confuses me since I assumed that app was using Mobilinc Connect to see ISY rather than connecting locally, so not sure why it is doing local UPnP discovery?   -- I just realized when Mobilinc X asked me to connect it gave me two options, one including my local IP address--which I was surprised to see.  

May I suggest you only enable UPnP for the purpose of establishing the subscription?     That way you could tell new users in the app to make sure SONOS is closed before setting up the subscription and then there would be no interference from Sonos (and no extra network UPnP traffic from Mobilinc) once the subscription is established.  Presumably as it is now Also  if it's running on someone else's network it's running UPnP on all these foreign networks? Seems odd. What if these networks don't allow UPnP?  I sort of think running UPnP without a very good reason is sort of creepy.  

At my home network, I ran Sonos. MB-X app crashed on launch as expected. I exited Sonos, and eventually every other app, and still MB-X crashed.

The only thing that got me back into business was a full iPhone reboot.

Makes sense?

Eran

Note -- this post has been edited after I was able to get rid of the ill effects on my ISY from the trial of the Mobilinc X Beta  by multiple reboots.  However to me the risk that you might lose your existing mobilinc access as I have is a matter of concern not adequately highlighted in the Mobilinc encouragement of forum members to participate in this beta. 

The following is just based on my experience. Others may have had better luck.  But I wish I had seen a post like this before trying the Mobilinc Beta.  

Trying this BETA may result in losing your current access to Mobilinc HD.  For me after some effort I never could get anything like the same functionality as I had with Mobilinc HD,and then the Mobilinc HD app denied me any access and said my subscription had expired -- and I have a "lifetime" subscription.     

I assume Mobilinc support will respond at some point and fix this but I regret having followed the announcement's suggestion that this new version was essentially ready for release. 

Despite some effort, the X version would not show all my devices and showed no scenes. Mobilinc support provided no help. 

Mobilinc X's display of devices is much more cluttered than Mobilinc HD.  So far as I could tell, you can't sort devices by on/off as you could in Mobilinc HD.  I didn't see any display options.  It appears to lack the ability to enable/disable programs that worked well in HD.     I couldn't find the dashboard feature that is useful in Mobilinc HD.   And you can't load it if you have the Sonos app active.  On the other hand it gives access to variables and may have some additional features that I was unable to test.    

Maybe the Beta I downloaded following instructions was some sort of crippled version.  But based on my experience -- if you have ANY need for your current Mobilinc connectivity, stay way from this until you have authoritative assurances that these problems are fixed.   I made the mistake of believing the representations that it was essentially ready for launch and assuming the beta would not affect current service. 

Plus I was assured that the Beta would not affect my ISY.  Now it is taking forever (OVER 30 MINUTES)  for the admin console to load and I am seeing errors I have never seen before:

Wed 2019/02/06 10:39:47 PM    System    -170001    [Network] Established    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:39:47 PM    System    -110022    /CONF/PORTALS.PSF    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:45:42 PM    System    -140005    ISY    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:46:53 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL55 [33 F F6 4] (MC1 has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:47:54 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL55 [33 10 24 4] (MC1 has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:48:55 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL55 [33 14 55 1] (MC1 has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:49:21 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [39 7A 8B 4] (MC1 has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:49:56 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL55 [33 14 DE 2] (MC1 has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:50:22 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [39 7A 8B 4] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:50:57 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [2C 93 E5 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:51:24 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BD 56 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:51:59 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : MC1 [2C 94 ED 1] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:52:25 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BC D 8] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:53:00 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [2C 94 ED 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:53:26 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 A2 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:54:01 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : MC1 [2C 96 7C 1] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:54:27 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BD 56 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:55:02 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [2C 96 7C 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:55:28 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BC D 8] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:56:03 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : MC1 [2C 96 7E 1] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:56:29 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 A2 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:57:04 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [2C 96 7E 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:57:30 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BD 56 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:58:06 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [33 75 6C 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:58:31 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BC D 8] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:59:07 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalRampRate [33 75 6C 1] (Unknow    
Wed 2019/02/06 10:59:32 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 A2 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:00:08 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [33 F F1 1] (Unknown     
Wed 2019/02/06 11:00:33 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BD 56 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:01:10 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalRampRate [33 F F1 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:01:35 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [2F BC D 8] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:02:12 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [39 7A 8B 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:02:36 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 A2 7] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:03:13 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalRampRate [39 7A 8B 1] (Unknow    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:03:37 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 E5 2] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:04:16 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalOnLevel [33 13 F8 1] (Unknown    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:04:38 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : CSL52 [33 14 F7 1] (Unknown has it)    
Wed 2019/02/06 11:05:17 PM    System    -6    AutoPin : getLocalRampRate [33 13 F8 1] (Unknow    

This after I went something like 2 days without any errors except a missed NTP time check.   Of course I don't know that Mobilinc caused this but I sincerely regret ever having tried the Beta.

My OG Mobilinc works fine still....

Beta software is a beta for a reason - it's buggy.  I've been working with Wes the past few days overcoming issues with IP Cameras and he has been nothing but responsive.  Far more responsive than app developers with a team behind them for support requests only.  

Have you sent a support request from the app?  I'm sure he'll get to ya as soon as he can considering time zones.  

I helped him diagnose the SONOS incompatibility and he was online regarding that issue but for at least six hours he did not respond at all regarding my inability to see devices or scenes and then the whole thing turned to disaster.   He represented that the software was ready for release and he was just getting advice on features.   UDI would never have released an ALPHA that was this much of a problem -- and in this case with no way to roll back or to delete the  Mobilinc portal from my ISY without bothering UDI Support.                                                    

UPDATE: After more than an hour I got up the courage to reboot again despite the Admin Console saying not to remove power.    That seemed to have cleared up the weird errors and ISY seems to have survived intact.  So that's a relief.   Presumably Mobilinc can restore the "expired" lifetime Mobilinc HD subscription during the work day, but I won't get the several hours back I wasted on this.

Hi @stillwater,

I sent you a follow-up email with details from my end I won't post here, but in summary, your ISY disconnected from MobiLinc Connect back on December 18th and we haven't seen it since. The error log you sent me via email confirms that the ISY is unable to connect to the MobiLinc Portal.

Since the ISY isn't connected to us we don't have the current cache of your items to display in MobiLinc X. 

MobiLinc X does not change your lifetime subscription with MobiLinc HD/MobiLinc Connect combination. Full Stop. I confirmed that your lifetime subscription is still active for MobiLinc HD/MobiLinc Connect. As soon as your ISY reconnects to MobiLinc Portal, both MobiLinc HD and MobiLinc X will show your items and both apps can and do work together. 

As for the Admin Console issues, I sent you an error log line that might indicate the ISY is or was stuck running a program in an infinite loop which would explain why the Admin Console took a while to load. Rebooting the ISY would cause the ISY to re-evaluate the programs which would free up ISY resources and allow you to get back in with Admin Console to find the possible offending program.

Wes

What Mobilinc says cannot be true.  My host in mobilinc HD is MOBILINC CONNECT and it synched as recently as yesterday morning.,   Mobilinc HD would not have worked over the cell network without Mobilinc Connect and it worked in that mode this week.  I wasn't inferring that Mobilinc lifetime subscription mysteriously expired --it's what the Mobilinc app said in so many words before demanding a new subscription payment.  

Wes agrees that he jumped to a wrong conclusion with this story about the ISY being absent from Mobilinc Connect since December and how this resulted in the cache not being current to populate Mobilinc X.  My ISY connected fine yesterday before the beta and the Mobilinc HD app worked fine, connected through Mobilinc Connect. 

Wes has restored my Mobilinc HD service by adding the isy back to the account.  It turns out that removing the ISY from the Mobilinc X app, as I did to see if re-adding it would make the missing scenes and devices appear, and then to remove the app from my system, actually removes the ISY from your global Mobilinc account, not just from the new Mobilinc X "subscription" just "purchased" from the App Store.  There were warnings that this would remove the ISY from my "account" but no indication this would extend beyond Mobilinc X.   People should be cautioned that the new BETA is not independent of your other Mobilinc access.     Wes proposes to make the various warnings clearer on these points. 

The notice about your subscription expiring, Wes explains, happens when the ISY loses contact with Mobilinc Connect and so it had little to do with reality in my case.    Wes says an expired subscription is usually the reason.  He has it in mind to improve the wording of the notice. 

The weird problems with ISY being busy that Wes blames on my programs  happened on a reboot after I gave up on Mobilinc X and was trying to restore Mobilinc HD. So it could not have been the cause of any of the Mobilinc X problems .   I continue to suspect it had something to do with the beta or the events surrounding its installation and removal.  Certainly it would not have happened last night it I hadn't accepted the offer of a "solid" beta. 

On the other hand Wes identifies some other errors  ( System -170001 UDQ: Queue(s) Full, message ignored)  as indicating troubles in connecting with Mobilinc.  I have seen these in the past and they have never before been associated with the novel errors from the period when the system was so slow.   I'll watch for future episodes and maybe we can diagnose whether the problem is congestion in http traffic from my node server or some weirdness between 5.0.x and Mobilinc Connect.  Generally I don't think it  can be caused by any of my programs as Wes guessed. 

Wes seems to confirm that some of the features  I identified as missing from the  Mobilinc X interface that I found very useful in Mobilinc HD have not been included in Mobilnc X and will only be added back as voted by participants in the Beta (or perhaps after publication on the app stores).    It seems like a mistake to shape the ultimate product based on a very small sample of eventual users, but maybe the target audience is much smaller than I assumed.  

Archived