Improve Z-Wave response speed?

rccoleman

4 hours ago, oberkc said:

I have not had luck with this approach.  It may depend on the brand or version of switch one is using.  It may also require the creation of a "button press node" and using that as a control condition.  I am still not satisfied with z-wave switches as much as I am with Insteon.

I also experience measurable delays in zwave devices.  I just live with it.  Most of my zwave responders are outlets, and they turn off at the end of the day.  Delays do not bother me that much.

Zwave doesn't come close to insteon as far as usability goes which is why I could never use it for lighting outside of specific single use cases such as occupancy for a bathroom (i use outlets for repeating).

If his devices have instant status and can be used with control, it should speed up his system as the Isy only needs to process based on individual button presses vs. checking the status of multiple devices which would take longer

6 minutes ago, oberkc said:

I do not claim to fully understand the relationship between insteon, z-wave, and the ISY-994.  I have a scene with almost my entire interior devices that I use at the end of the day.  Most are insteon, but more than a few are z-wave.  I just added a new z-wave outlet the other day and added it to this scene.  I noticed that, when I turn off this scene, the newly-added device is the last device to turn off, and it is likely 5-10 seconds before doing so.  It makes me suspect that the ISY runs through each of the zwave devices within the scene and turns each off individually.  This one is the last added, and is alphabetically the last zwave device in the list.  I cannot help but wonder if re-ordering the devices somehow would result in response times being different for various devices.

From my experience, the isy will process insteon first then zwave one at a time. I've never paid attention to the order I added my devices to see if that mattered in regards to the order zwave gets triggered.

Thats a good observation which could potentially help give the illusion of a faster system by triggering the most important devices first

On 3/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, lilyoyo1 said:

How long does it take for your devices to update in the isy? Are they newer devices with support for instant status?

One thing you can do is use control instead of status since you want the fan to come on with any switch.

To turn off you would want to use the status of all being off to turn off the bathroom light. While there will be a delay with the fan turning off, its not as big of a deal since you'd be leaving the room anyway

Hi,  I had to go out of town for work,  Im back next week.  For now I had to disable the program, before my wife killed me LOl.   Thanks for all the feedback, I will try looking at Control rather than status for the state checking.  

4 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Thats a good observation which could potentially help give the illusion of a faster system by triggering the most important devices first

My thoughts, also.  So far, the phenomenon has been repeatable.  It definitely does NOT seem random.