Detecting Paddle On and/or Off with Dimmer Switches

MasterMog

I know that I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't seem to get a program to detect that a dimmer switch has been turned on or off by local control (paddle being pressed).

For Example: if I do a simple test as shown in the code below then it works fine with a relay switch or socketlinc but does not work with a dimmer switch that has a pre-set on-level such as 60%.

If
       Control 'GB Vanity Lights' is switched On

Then
       Set Scene 'GH Light' On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

It seems to be easy to have the program detect switched on & off state for a relay type device but I can't seem to get the same thing to work with a dimmer switch that has a pre-set level. I can check the status but that won't work for me since I'm trying to execute some action based only on a dimmer switch paddle being turned on and/or off.

Question: Does anyone know how I can detect the paddle switch ON and/or Off state of a dimmer switch that is has pre-set local levels less than 100%?

Thanks

Mack

Hi Mack,

Switched On or Off should work with a dimmer switch as long as you are not holding the paddle to brighten/dim the switch. A quick press should be an On or Off. The local level should not have any affect on the command sent.

If you open the Event Viewer (Tools | Diagnostics) you will be able to see the command sent from the dimmer when you tap the switch (DON or DOFF). If you don't see any event then the switch press is not being seen by the PLM. This would indicate a communication error.

Rand

Hi Rand,

You were correct that is was some kind of communication error. I was not getting the DON or DOFF in the event viewer for either dimmer switch I was trying to program. I factory reset both switches and now I'm seeing the DON and DOFF commands. I tried moving access points around, installing additional filters and even turning off some circuits completely but nothing worked until I factory reset the two switches. In fact, after the resets I now only get one single communication error when I start the admin interface when I use to see about 4 or 5. Now, if I could just figure out why I get a comm error on my EZRAIN Zone 1 every day then I would be all set :D . I appreciate your help and will keep my fingers crossed with the hopes this problem will not return.

Thanks

Mack

Archived