Filterlinc Circuit

palayman

This was found on the net. I looked inside one and it traced out correctly.

FilterLinc was originally an X10 120KHz filter. I don't think they changed anything to bump it up to the 131.65KHz. I believe it was not sharply tuned.

The only difference I have seen between the 1626 5 Amp now discontinued and the 1626-10 was the fuses rating. Unless they updated the design with a high value resistor on the AC Input or C3. If you unplug it with no load on it and C3 is charged. Touching the AC Input pins can give you a surprising shock.

FilterLinc.pdf

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Here is an article comparing an doing scope analysis of a few different filters. FiilterLinc included.

http://www.nomad.ee/micros/x10filter.shtml

Larry,

Thanks for this link. What would have been more interesting is if they had included the output stage of the  Insteon/X10 device and some reasonable line resistance.  In the Insteon docs they talk about 5 ohms, but it strongly depends on distance etc. My big concern with this type of device is that they attenuate the 131.65 KHz on both sides.  Putting one to close to an Insteon device may cause more problems than good.

Paul

1 minute ago, palayman said:

Larry,

Thanks for this link. What would have been more interesting is if they had included the output stage of the  Insteon/X10 device and some reasonable line resistance.  In the Insteon docs they talk about 5 ohms, but it strongly depends on distance etc. My big concern with this type of device is that they attenuate the 131.65 KHz on both sides.  Putting one to close to an Insteon device may cause more problems than good.

Paul

Been a long time for me, but when you look at the FilterLinc schematic there is an  parallel tuned tank circuit on each entrance side. That should produce a high impedance (notch) to the tuned frequency (Insteon) and not tend to be a drain to Insteon signals entering the FilterLinc.

I was concerned about  that too when I was trying to damp out my new GDO noise. AFAICT the filterLincs block Insteon from passing through them, both ways. Don't plug any Insteon device into the filtered receptacle.
I have two of them now, both with a very noisy GDOs on the filtered receptacle and an IO/Linc plugged into the non-filtered receptacle of the same FilterLincs. They work like a charm, whereas before, on the latest battery backed GDO, my comms went down to a failure every few operations.

Archived