Need New Garage Door Opener

rpsa

I have three older garage door openers (Overhead Door 556/656). Each has an Insteon kit.  The insteon I/O Linc's output relay allows me to open/close via two-wire contacts.  One opener died and needs to be replaced.  But, it seems that all the new door openers use coded keypads, not two-wire push buttons.  Does anyone know of a garage door opener that will allow a simple relay (two-wire) contact interface to my Insteon network so I can open/close using MobiLink or the admin panel?  I would like to think that there must be one, even with coded remotes, that will allow a two-wire interface.

I chose to solve the problem by looking for an opener that had a simple single-button wired operator.  The unit came with a multi-function button (that shows the date and time -- just what I want, another clock to reset every time DST changes! :-(  And lets me turn on/off the built-in light.. .which nobody does ever... etc...).  However, they also offered a simple one big-button wired-in unit.   I simply wired the IOLinc (and now the z-wave unit that replaced the Insteon IOLinc) to the button's switch, rather than to the GDO itself.

That way, I could use a modern GDO, with battery backup and all that, and still be able to remotely operate it.

BTW, modern GDOs tend to make a lot of power-line noise -- so put an Insteon FilterLinc up on the ceiling to plug that GDO into...

I ran into this problem as well, so i went ahead and got a liftmaster with the MyQ technology.  Pre-Polyglot I soldered a wire across the new push button and used the I/O linc with no issues.  Then when polyglot was released I switched over to that and it works flawlessly as well.

31 minutes ago, rpsa said:

Thanks.  What brand/model GDO did you use?

I used a Genie -- not sure what model (and I'm not home right now to check - sorry!).  I specifically chose the model that had provisions for a backup-battery (due to an elderly person in the home at the time who couldn't have operated the door manually) -- and that limited choices greatly.  I think there's a lot more companies with reasonably-priced (and self-installable) battery-backup units on the market now, and the trick of soldering wires directly across the pushbutton further broadens the selection.

29 minutes ago, bdw72 said:

I ran into this problem as well, so i went ahead and got a liftmaster with the MyQ technology.  Pre-Polyglot I soldered a wire across the new push button and used the I/O linc with no issues.  Then when polyglot was released I switched over to that and it works flawlessly as well.

I'm also very happy with MyQ and Polyglot Node Server.

6 minutes ago, rpsa said:

Thanks all. 

Decided on Liftmaster 8355W with the MyQ technology.  I've never played with Polyglot or Nodeserver.  Guess I have some homework to do.  

That was the one I just installed that crippled my Insteon system with noise. Get a filterLinc. The soft close and soft open are nice. They seem really slow but the overall timing is exactly the same as the older 3/4 hp models.

The MyQ is cloud only AFAICT. I left it and installed a CAO Tag at the top of the door to notify me if open and the car is out or we are not home. I have very good neighbours to close my GDs safely without any toys or children under the doors. I didn't want to destroy the warranty on the GDO by cracking them open to solder wires to the pushbuttons. However if somebody cracks the MyQ coding to operate via Ethernet???? :)

6 minutes ago, rpsa said:

I don't suppose the power supply that comes with the  Insteon 74551 Garage Door Control & Status Kit includes noise filtering.  Too much to ask??

The GDO kit comes with an IOLinc, some wire, a magnet, and a sensor. I use one for my older AC motor GDO. It created a little Insteon noise interference for a few years but the Battry backed up unit drove it over the edge.

Mine both have filterLincs with the GDO plugged into the bottom (filtered) and an IOLinc plugged into the back (unfiltered), now. Not one problem since.

3 minutes ago, larryllix said:

The GDO kit comes with an IOLinc, some wire, a magnet, and a sensor. I use one for my older AC motor GDO. It created a little Insteon noise interference for a few years but the Battry backed up unit drove it over the edge.

They both have filterLincs with the GDO plugged into the bottom (filtered) and an IOLinc plugged into the back (unfiltered). Not one problem since.

I'll have the GDO in by tomorrow.  FilterLinks might take a few days to get here.  So, I'll find out if noise is a problem.

2 minutes ago, rpsa said:

I'll have the GDO in by tomorrow.  FilterLinks might take a few days to get here.  So, I'll find out if noise is a problem.

I discovered it by unplugging the GDO. Then I put the new GDO on a long extension cord and plugged it into a receptacle much further away from the main panel and problem Insteon devices,  until my FilterLincs arrived. That was how I diagnosed the problem, before spending more money on the first signal filters I ever needed in five years.

I have a MyQ as well.

However, I’ve not done the Polyglot solution as it won’t work if the Internet is down (cloud dependent).

In my case I got an extra remote and wired an Elk output across the push button on the remote. I have an Elk zone on a mag switch on the door and a zwave tilt switch on the back of the door for additional status.

I’m not comfortable with Insteon for controlling the garage door - but you could easily wire an iolinc in place of the Elk if you are ok with the lack of security in the Insteon protocol.

Archived