Multiple Load Switch?

MustangChris04

Besides using micro on/off modules linked to buttons on a keypad, is there any other solution for having multiple independent loads on a single switch? I wonder if Insteon well ever develop a multi-load keypad.

I often run into double switches in a single gang box, typically one for the bathroom light, the other for the exhaust fan. My current solution in my house is a micro on/off to an always on current to the fan. If I want light and fan, then single tap the switch. If I only want light, press and hold. Fan only, turn on light them press and hold off to turn off the light and fan remains on. This is fine for somebody that knows how it's programmed but for the average user this is definitely not ideal. 

While I can change out the box for a double gang in this situation, there are times where I have a 5-gang switch bay and I need to add more switches. All can be solved with a single 8 button keypad and micro modules, but is this the best way about doing it? 

For example, I have a bathroom with recessed lighting, exhaust fan, shower light, two sets of vanity lighting, and a light above the toilet, all which needs to be independently controlled. I have wired all the Romex to a single junction box. I really dont want to have to put in a 6-gang box. I only want a single keypad. Are the micro units the best and only way to do this? Where do you all keep your micro units while still maintaining code compliance? I wouldn't have room in a single gang junction box, for 5 micro modules plus a switch and I can't put them in the attic. Ideas?

I generally won't separate the fan from the light when it's set up that was as I feel the way to control it is worse than both running at the same time. If a bathroom has enough loads where having a kpl makes sense then I would simply put a micro-module in at the loads themselves. 

My bathroom is setup with a similar amount of loads except the loads are close to each thing vs all at the entrance. Walking into the bathroom I have a single light that turns on the recessed lights. The shower is in the middle of the bathroom against the back wall between the closets and sinks. with a switch on either side and tub lights is next to the tub. Our sinks h has their own switches next to them. The toilet is in the water closet with it's own light and fan inside. The entrance has a keypad which sets the bathroom up for us as we walk in. This one controls the recessed lights in the bathroom.

I would probably do the same in your bathroom. While I prefer having the individual loads wired to switch locations (just in case a device fails it makes it easier to change) I understand not wanting a large amount of switches. I would probably wire the kpl to the recessed lights like I did my bathroom and then put individual micro modules or inlinelincs (my preference) at the fixtures themselves.

I have been finding that for my go-forward solutions I remind myself of 2 things.  First, people are already controlling their life though touchscreens and it will not be many years before most people are used to controlling their environment at least partially by voice.  Second, it no longer really matters where the loads are, what matters is having control where you want it.  I would wire the loads to a single access-panel if possible and use devices like Inlinelincs or din-mounted controls.

So... I've been strategically placing Alexa devices (Echo Dot, Echo Spot, etc) in range of just about everywhere in my home.   In areas with a large number of loads that need to be controlled like the bathroom(10+ individual loads, not counting the tub)  and great room (9 loads, 15 switches) I believe a touchscreen will be the control of choice as I change things out.  To your point, why would I want to continue to stare at a bank of switches trying to remember which controls what when I can be looking at a friendly app with labels & interaction? 

Secondly in the places where it is convenient to a have switch I try to remember that switches no longer necessarily look like switches, they don't need to be powered and they don't need to be in a gang-box.  They can be big color push-buttons stuck on a wall or little switches like the Insteon 8 key remote that can sit on the coffee table,  they can be "hacked" Amazon Dash buttons or a dedicated tablet.  It really depends on how your particular home is set up and where it makes sense to have control.

I'm not sure if I've helped you but that's my $.02.

Archived