Are my keypads outdated?

ResIpsa

First, let me say that I have occasionally made attempts at tracking version numbers and install dates for my Insteon devices, but I have been grossly inconsistent about it.  I have a number of 8-button keypads that I believe are rather old, but I'm not sure just how old they are.  What I do know is that they seem to present quite a bit more difficulty when writing scene updates compared to some of my newest devices, which don't usually present any problems at all.  So, for example, if I have a KeyLinc Dimmer 8 Button v.2C, just hold old is it, and is it dual band?  Maybe a better question is this: is there is a list somewhere of all the versions of each device, so Insteon owners can determine just old old their devices are?

There's a 4 digit date code on each device i.e. 0516 would be a manufacture date of the 5th week of 2016

Depending on how old your devices are they could be single band rather than dual band. The older firmware in the devices was much slower than the current versions. There are most likely hardware improvements as well.  The hardware version on the device you mention is 2C.  The firmware version is shown in the admin console for that device.

The hardware version for a KPL dated 3415 was v7.8, firmware version was v.45

Your V.2C Keypadlincs are a bit on the old side.  I still have a number of these installed.  They work fine, but they are "dated":

1) The V.2C devices use I1 messaging.  Newer devices use I2 (extended) messaging.  I2 messaging will greatly increase the speed of reading/writing updates to the device (link table reads, scene includes, etc).  I ran a quick device table link read test on one of my newer I2 device using for I1 and I2 modes.  The link was 103 lines long (103 * 8 words).  In I1 mode, the isy required 15 minutes to read the table.  In I2 mode, it read the table in 4 minutes 11 seconds.  Your V.2C devices can only be read in I1 mode.

2) Power supply - uses an older power regulator that is prone to overheating/burnout.  Newer designs use a switching power supply that consumes less power.  That said, I am running mine until they die.

3) Features - dual band, backlight, beep, I2-c and other newer features are not included.

As I said, there is nothing really wrong with these older devices.  They can and to work alongside the newer versions.  There are many nice features (and speed) in the newer versions.  Whether these features are worth the price tag is up to you.  I plan to keep mine in place until they give up.

Hope that helps,

IM

I have have experienced more issues with older Keypads and Appliance links than with any other devices.  In addition to  the detailed information IndyMike provided - I suspect either hardware and/or firmware  updates in newer devices have improved the simulcast performance.   I spent a lot of time viewing/analyzing the Power line signaling a while back.  I had a couple of keypads  that appeared  to be transmitting at full signal levels, and receiving without error in an isolated test environment,   yet they would fail communications intermittently when part of a full network.

Replacing the devices solved the communications intermittent fails when part of the  network.   You might say they played better with others :)

On 4/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, ELA said:

I have have experienced more issues with older Keypads and Appliance links than with any other devices.  In addition to  the detailed information IndyMike provided - I suspect either hardware and/or firmware  updates in newer devices have improved the simulcast performance.   I spent a lot of time viewing/analyzing the Power line signaling a while back.  I had a couple of keypads  that appeared  to be transmitting at full signal levels, and receiving without error in an isolated test environment,   yet they would fail communications intermittently when part of a full network.

Replacing the devices solved the communications intermittent fails when part of the  network.   You might say they played better with others :)

This pretty much perfectly describes my experience.  I am in the process of replacing my older KPLs and ApplicancLincs for this very reason.

Archived