List programs in which a device is used

Old Surfer Dude

I have a lot of programs.  There are times I'd like to see into which programs a device is used or referenced.  Is there a utility for this?

Current reason.  When I turn on my "Kitchen Island" light, it comes on for a second, turns off for a second, then turns on.  I have a scene with the relay that is the actual switch and three other buttons.  I know I have a program that is triggered by a double tap (fast on/off). But I don't know if the device (relay) is in any other program.

Any thoughts out there?

- One suggestion is to verify that its not something else, e.g. the problem is not a program. What happens if you use the ISY admin console to:

• Turn the device on / off directly?
  • Turn the scene on / off directly?

Same behavior or different?

- Another suggestion: There's a way to get the program(s) to reveal when they've been run, you can use this after recreating the issue:

• Go to the programs tab in the admin console
  • Click the Summary tab to the left
  • Find the Last Run Time column in the table
  • Click it twice so it shows the most recently run programs on top
  • Test the switch to recreate the issue, then press the refresh button on the right
  • the program(s) will be on the top of the list

image.thumb.png.6fa67ca4fc88e78bb2e0bba9316da2a6.png

Paul

2 hours ago, Old Surfer Dude said:

I have a lot of programs.  There are times I'd like to see into which programs a device is used or referenced.  Is there a utility for this?

Current reason.  When I turn on my "Kitchen Island" light, it comes on for a second, turns off for a second, then turns on.  I have a scene with the relay that is the actual switch and three other buttons.  I know I have a program that is triggered by a double tap (fast on/off). But I don't know if the device (relay) is in any other program.

Any thoughts out there?

There is a secret search function but if I tell you , dont spread it around! :)

Right click on any program title in the program tree under the Detail tab.
Select the search option where you will find search by device, variable, etc.. as well as raw text. While the search box is open you can even edit your programs etc.. without closing the search function box.

3 hours ago, Old Surfer Dude said:

You fellow automators are awesome!  Two new tricks learned!  Now all I have to do is get the symptom to appear on command!  (BTW it's "find/replace" not "search". :) )

OK...OK.. it wasn't "Search" but I am not much of a detail type guy!
BTW: The words "Find/Replace"  both have  caps! (sarcasm)    :)  :)   :)
Yeah...ISY is pretty awesome but like the rest of the whole app world now...it's all hidden to the person that doesn't finger every spot on their screens just to see what happens. If we write a manual it will all be obsolete by the time we are done. YUK!  :( 

Enjoy!!

@paulbates

I tried this and no unexpected programs were run.  I looked at the event log and it was as expected.

Shortly after the On-1s-Off-1s-On event, I turned the light off.  Then I turned it on.  Different symptom: On-1s-Off, though the button was still lit.  I turned the button Off, then On and the light stayed on.

This is not a priority, it's just a curious bug.  I suppose I could create a program:

IF:  buttonA TurnedOn or buttonB TurnedOn or buttonC TurnedOn AND (not buttonA TurnedOff and not buttonB TurnedOff and not buttonC TurnedOff)

THEN: turn on relay

ELSE: turn off relay

Watch your parenthese.

IF: 
  (
     buttonA Swicthed On
    OR
      buttonB Switched On
     OR
     buttonC Swicthed On
   )
   AND
      buttonA is NOT Switched Off
   AND
       buttonB is NOT Switched Off
   AND
      buttonC is NOT Switched Off

3 hours ago, Old Surfer Dude said:

right! AND is like multiply and OR is like add when employing the distributive theorem.  Also, everything in the parenthesis are evaluated, then AND, then OR.

I knew something didn't look right.  I appreciate the correction!

Not sure if Larry’s advice fixed it... if no;

Are you sure the expected programs aren’t “stepping on each other” ? Disable all but one and retry. Also, if you have scenes and programs for the same function, that could be causing it

Paul

"Switched" and "Status" have two completely different behaviours.

Using a switchLinc for example:
Status has two opposite states. ie: On and Off are opposite.
Switched has four states ie: Switched On is not negative logic of 'Switched Off'. They are two different signals. We won't touch dimming values here.

Common problems are created in programs by using the status of a 'device' in an If section condition of the same program that is controlling the status.
If
     status  deviceA is On
Then
    set deviceA Off
Else
    ---

will oscillate because you are controlling the status of the electronics that you are triggering with. (I didn't say 'on' there :) )
However, using 'Switched On', instead, will monitor the status of the switch paddle and you cannot control that, so no feedback can occur.

Archived