Text your Google Voice Number From ISY

apostolakisl

I have been using ISY to send email to text using the standard carrier texting.  ie @vtext.com for verizon.  But I use a google voice number, and you can't do that with google voice.  I found a work-around.  There is a plug in for gmail called CloudHQ.  Cloud HQ automates the process of using your gmail to send texts, and it works for a google voice number.  You don't need to know what carrier the person has, you just put in their phone number and CloudHQ does the rest.  As far as I know there is no limit.  CloudHQ has a feature to automatically forward any email to your phone as a text.  So I set it up to forward all emails that come from my ISY to my Google Voice number.  So far so good.  You just set the rule for forwarding.  I use my gmail smtp server for ISY sending, so I input the gmail address as for the "from" field, and in the subject field I put "ISY".  So now, any text from my gmail address that includes the letters "ISY" in the subject get forwarded to my GV number as a text.

@Scottmichaelj

The lag has, in my testing, been at least one minute and no more than 2.

I am not sure, but this looks like it runs on the pc, not in the cloud.  So if the pc isn't on or logged off of gmail, I don't think it works, still have to confirm this.  The one thing that it definitely does do that is not exactly kosher, is that if you are logged into two gmail accounts on the same pc, it will forward emails as texts regardless of which account the email came in on.  For example, I logged into both my wife and my account on gmail on the same pc at the same time.  I set the forwarding rule for both of our accounts.  I sent an email to me, and it forwarded to both me and my wife via text.  And vice-versa.  Hard to complain for free.  It looks like I'll need to keep two pc's running with gmail open for me and my wife.

Archived