New garage door opener options?

It appears our garage door opener is dead (the actual motor that lifts the garage door)?  This was very old and I had never connected it to my automation system.  Since I am going to have to replace it I was wondering if there are specific models and brands I should consider so I can add it to the automation.  Or is the more accepted strategy to get a ‘regular’ opener and then get an additional device to control the automation?  

Any advice or lessons learned is appreciated....Thanks!

From stories here it appears that garage doors with z-wave activated openers are becoming more popular. Also some are wifi activated like the chamberland my q. However going that route would mean setting up z-wave and repeaters if you don't have them already or having wifi that reaches your garage. Also there are some connected by nodeservers if you have the v5 version of ISY firmware.

If you have z-wave deployed already or planning to go z-wave that would be an option. If you wifi reaches your garage and you have ISY V5 firmware, something like the chamberland mq. There's also the insteon garage door kit that uses the iolinc. I've had my garage door on that since 2011 and its worked great.

Paul

• 9 months later...

I think Chamberlain's Hub effectively turns your existing garage door opener into one of the company's smart garage door openers . You get all the same features and capabilities and access to Chamberlain's app. Even if you don't have a Chamberlain or LiftMaster garage door opener, the Garage Hub might work with your equipment.

Just some advice on Garage doors.  Do not buy a "Smart" garage door opener that is tied to the same vendor's app or ecosystem for control.  Most vendors are not open to integration and MyQ is one of the worst out there for integration.  It's easier and cheaper most of the time to get a "dumb" opener that you then have the choice in deciding how you want to control it.

Basically agree although the MyQ system is easy enough to hack for local control through a relay, Insteon, Elk or whatever.  The MyQ nodeserver works great.  I actually do like getting notifications from the MyQ app on when the door opens and closes when I'm away.

image.png

2 hours ago, keepersg said:

The MyQ nodeserver works great. 

I actually do like getting notifications from the MyQ app on when the door opens and closes when I'm away.

I agree on both of those points.  I also trust that the push notifications from the myQ app will always be delivered even if slightly delayed, on the other hand on the other hand due to lack of "retry" with regard to Network Resources I've seen a few of those get lost in the process. 

In reality when my house is in away mode most notifications are sent multiple times, once by email to an MMS gateway AND to the inbox of the 'From' email address, which also notifies my phone, and via a network resource  and Pushover.  For most important notifications I should see them on my phone 3 times, for the garage doors I should actually see it 4 times, Once in email, once in MMS/text message, once from Pushover and in the case of MyQ-- the MyQ push notification.  Of the first 3, sometime one will go missing... the MyQ notification never goes missing.

Archived