Any issue running a PLC + Homeseer concurrently with PLM/ISY

RichTJ99

Hi,

I am in the midst of playing with my ISY/PLM combo. I am not done setting it up. I do have a PLC/Homeseer plugged in at the moment, though Homeseer is turned off.

If I am not adding devices & I am unconcerned with things becoming out of sync, is there any issues having both devices on at the same time?

The PLC doesnt store links & if I am not adding new items, then I cant figure if there would be an issue provided I dont install new devices.

Any comments on what could be a possible downside?

The upside is I can use the Homeseer/PLC combo while I am setting up the PLM/ISY combo.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

The HomeSeer PLC plug-in has to have created at least one link in the PLC for each device so that it can get status change messages. It may have created a corresponding link in each device.

Using the ISY, under the tools menu, there's a way to read the device link tables. Pick a device, read the table and look for links to the PLC's address. If you find any then you know.

You'll have to add the device to the ISY first, and when you do this, select the option to leave existing links. This isn't the recommended selection, but by using it, you won't break your existing setup. However, this is fine for some initial testing and experimentation with the ISY.

I don't think there's any good way to migrate from one system to the other. The cleanest method is to reset all the devices to factory defaults, start adding them to the ISY and then re-create any scenes using the ISY. I'm assuming you're also going to switch to my HomeSeer plug-in, in which case you fire that up next, let it import everything and then start re-creating HomeSeer events as needed.

There are a few people that have done this migration. Don't know how many regularly hang out here, but take a look here http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91 there are a few posts on the subject.

Bob,

My main issue is time. It seems I get a few hours here & there to mess with things.

I have done a full factory reset on all the insteon devices & the ISY. I didnt do anything to the PLC.

With my own factory resets being done, if I turn on Homeseer, shouldnt the PLC still be able to turn on & off lights even if the Insteon light has been factory resetted (as the ID number should be the same)?

Yes I am planning on using your plugin once I get enough time in one day to swap things around.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

The HomeSeer PLC plug-in has to have created at least one link in the PLC for each device so that it can get status change messages. It may have created a corresponding link in each device.

I didnt reset the PLC, so the PLC should still have links for the insteon devices, will it try to create new links if the device doesnt have a link?

Using the ISY, under the tools menu, there's a way to read the device link tables. Pick a device, read the table and look for links to the PLC's address. If you find any then you know.

I did the factory resets, so I am guessing the links are gone (or they should be).

I have done a full factory reset on all the insteon devices & the ISY. I didnt do anything to the PLC.

With my own factory resets being done, if I turn on Homeseer, shouldnt the PLC still be able to turn on & off lights even if the Insteon light has been factory resetted (as the ID number should be the same)?

Yes I am planning on using your plugin once I get enough time in one day to swap things around.

The PLC should still have any links in it's link database. HomeSeer should still be able to control the devices.

The rest of your devices should be clear of any links. Everything should be ready for you to start setting up everything with the ISY. Now all you need is some time :)

Hi Rich,

I don't know HomeSeer but I will tell you what I know.

The PLC/PLM can control Insteon devices directly as long as it knows their address. The only need for links is for scenes.

You could factory reset the PLC and it should still be able to directly control the Insteon devices that HS knows the addresses of.

Rand

Archived