Another Insteon MSII Query

JLOB

I will add one more warning to those from Michel about this MS-II.  I finally found time to get back to testing my three MS-II units, which had been giving me trouble in September.  Now two months later, while all three units have been powered up but not accessed, I ran several queries every few hours for two days as the temperature in the room changed by a couple of degrees each time.  Two of the sensors tracked well and one hick-uped only once.  The third behaved erratically as it had two months ago.  Most queries reported the same value as the previous read, returning a new value rarely.  And many of those values were negative numbers.  I had heard about some of this from others on the forum but the problem with this unit was that I often would have to query more than 10 times without a change to an actual value. There is no way to tell when the read back is valid or just stuck on the previous value.  I contacted Smarthome to have this one replaced.  At first, I was told that the MS-II isn't a temperature sensor so they would only respond to problems sensing motion. After pressing the person, he asked me to send him a screen shot of the ISY console and a description of the problem.  He would discuss this with the developer.  No final resolution yet, but it appears that they may not back their product for temperature sensing.  

• 1 month later...

To finish my post of 21-November-19, the SmartHome contact got back to me stating the following, which I will paraphrase:  

The temperature sensor in the MSII was never fully developed and therefore is not supported by their Insteon hub, etc.  Those with an ISY have access to that sensor, but it is still not supported by SmartHome.  They offered to replace all three of my MSII units but warned that the replacements will behave  in the same way. [What I had reported was that one unit often simply returned the previous value and would continue to do so for up to 10 consecutive queries before I would give up and wait some time before trying again while my other two sitting next to it reported different temperatures.] 

I replied that since two were operating as expected, I would like to replace just one and not all three.  They agreed to that and sent me one replacement, covering the shipping in both directions.  

The replacement has been operating correctly for about a month while I again tested all there positioned next to each along with a mercury thermometer.  I collected readings over a 20F range.  I couldn't get the calibration process to reach exactly the correct reading so decided to use a software correction.  Using just an offset got within 2F but a linear fit got close to1F so I am using that.  There may be a quadratic term but my test range was not wide enough to capture that. 

I have the three MSII units positioned now in their final operating places.  

Archived