Phase coupler

shergenr

I have a pretty simple insteon setup.  Have setup scenes to turn on outdoor lights when gate opens. Have a few switch links and lamp lincs scattered around house.  When I first set up system I had comm issues that were taken care of by a insteon phase coupler.  I think the coupler is dead.  My problems began to occur again after a storm which knocked out one of the 120 legs coming to my house.

is there anyway to test the phase linc to determine if it's any good?  

If not, can I use the Levitron or the simple automation phase couplers as a substitute?

I have a pretty simple insteon setup.  Have setup scenes to turn on outdoor lights when gate opens. Have a few switch links and lamp lincs scattered around house.  When I first set up system I had comm issues that were taken care of by a insteon phase coupler.  I think the coupler is dead.  My problems began to occur again after a storm which knocked out one of the 120 legs coming to my house.
is there anyway to test the phase linc to determine if it's any good?  
If not, can I use the Levitron or the simple automation phase couplers as a substitute?

With Insteon dual band devices a couple shouldn't be needed unless there us some other noise problem going on.

Insteon plug-ins have a four tap phasing test to prove comms across different phases.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, shergenr said:

If memory serves me, in the old X10 days, if you have a 220VAC device such as a clothes dryer in the house you can use it as a "test" phase coupler by turning it on and see if the phase couple problems go away when it is running.  It is not a direct test of your possibly failed coupler, but it might give you an idea or not.

You remembered correctly. A restive  220 Volt appliance. Can couple signals between the two incoming power lines.

A passive type coupler like a XPCP would probably couple an Insteon power line command between the two incoming power lines. The simply automated ZPCI sales page says it can also do X10 and Insteon. A X10 coupler repeater like a XPCR or Leviton  HCA02 probably will not work. Many of them see the tail end of an Insteon power line command as an X10 one and try and repeat a X10 command that was not there.

I would try the communications test mention to see what you can find

Archived