TriggerLinc as water sensor & reversing modes?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I have been using a DS10A with a waterbug circuit http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=1544 as a cheap water sensor. The idea being that you connect the leads from the DS10A to the water sensor & when theres water, you can run whatever events you like.

Anyway the Triggerlinc has two leads which make this pretty easy to replicate. I am playing with it now & it works OK, but the triggerlinc is always Open unless there is water, & then its closed.

Is there a way to reverse the way the ISY sees this device? I think I want to start moving away from the X10 stuff & go for a full insteon solution.

I dont really like seeing that the My Lighting has these devices on. I know its a bit nickpicky but hey...

Would MultiScene mode help?

Thanks,

Rich

Multi-scene mode would send an ON command when the trigger is both opened AND closed (1 to each scene), so I don't think it would help you.

What you really need is a normally open sensor, but I'm not sure if there is a water sensor that is normally open.

Mike,

I guess I will just live with it as is. One other thing, I am having a hard time getting the triggerlinc to change from on to off when the wired leads are in the triggerlinc.

Meaning, when there is nothing wired into the triggerlinc, the magnetic contact opens & closes it fine.

When I put the wire (I am using cat 5 for testing) into the triggerlinc - the other end has the water board, it doesnt seem to be changing on its own. It was doing that earlier.

I am wondering if I somehow put it into a different mode.

If I press the test button while the wires/sensor are plugged into the trigger linc, it does toggle on & off, but it stays in that last position.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

That sensor relies on the conductance of the water it is detecting. It is not a dry closure like a switch contact and maybe hundreds of ohms when wet. That can lead to all kinds of problems; if the TriggerLinc needs a good low resistance closure to be reliable. I did read correctly. You only are using the sensor and not the whole Moisture meter Board that has added electronic parts to interface with the moisture sensor.

Smarthome is using a similar sensor in their Flood Detect Kit with an I/OLinc and some are having problems with theirs. I measured my sensor wet [looks bigger than the one you have and may have more surface area] and it measures eight hundreds ohms when wet with my water that corrodes copper pipes from the inside. Just found their Flood Detector Kit is marked as "Unavailable while improvements and enhancements are added." IMHO the sensor will be different in the updated kit.

Side note. My I/OLinc's sensor LED can be partially on with a resistive load but not be pulled low enough to trigger the event. My tests show 1000 Ohms where a I/OLInc is marginally triggered.

Archived