Help with IOLinc+gate+keypad

copumpkin

I just figured out how to get both the sensor and the relay portions of my IOLinc to speak to my old gate controller and am feeing pretty happy! Now however comes my first foray into setting up an IOLinc with my ISY and keypad and I’m a bit lost. Here’s the rundown of the gate setup:

- My gate has a momentary toggle switch mechanism that will open the gate if it’s closed, stop it in place if it’s opening, and close the gate if it’s open. This is connected to my IOLinc N/O and COM pins.

- The gate controller also has a hookup that closes a circuit if the gate is open. This is hooked up to my IOLinc S and GND pins.

Inside my ISY admin panel, I’ve also configured a 0.5s hold time and Momentary C mode, which claims to trigger based on sensor input.

Here’s the problem: I assumed (based on an ISY wiki page for the IOLinc) that this would set it so the on and off commands to the relay would track the open and closed states of the gate, but the gate still only seems to respond to the on command on the relay, effectively behaving as if I were pressing the gate opener.

Here are my questions:

1) How do I configure the IOLinc in isolation to handle on and off correctly based on the sensor input?

2) What’s the correct way to bind the combined sensor and on/off control to a keypad button such that it lights up when the gate is open (even if the keypad had nothing to do with opening the gate, like if someone used the old fashioned gate opener). I tried creating a scene with it but was a bit confused about who would be a controller and who would be a responder for it, since it’s bidirectional.

3) I’ve noticed my ISY admin panel needs me to press query on the sensor before it updates the status properly. Do I need to set devices up to poll periodically or will the IOLinc push its status?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, copumpkin said:

How do I configure the IOLinc in isolation to handle on and off correctly based on the sensor input?

Momentary C mode is the only mode that I am aware that changes relay responses based upon sensor input.  If I recall correctly, there is a little LED that is either on or off based upon the sensor input.  Does this LED change state when the gate is open and closed?  Is the LED on when the gate is open or when it is closed?  (I must admit that I am unsure why it is important to you to establish this relationship.)

What’s the correct way to bind the combined sensor and on/off control to a keypad button such that it lights up when the gate is open (even if the keypad had nothing to do with opening the gate, like if someone used the old fashioned gate opener). I tried creating a scene with it but was a bit confused about who would be a controller and who would be a responder for it, since it’s bidirectional.

As you initially tried, create a scene with the sensor as controller and keypad button as responder.  That will cause the sensor to trigger the keypad when the sensor changes state.  

I’ve noticed my ISY admin panel needs me to press query on the sensor before it updates the status properly. Do I need to set devices up to poll periodically or will the IOLinc push its status?

No.  The sensor status should be accurately reflected without a query.  If not, then I cannot help but wonder if the sensor is actually changing state or, if it is, whether the signal is reaching the ISY.

Having responded to these specific questions, I will offer the opinion that you might be taking a less-than-ideal approach to your problem.  This is not unlike a garage door to me.  It sounds as if you want a single keypad button to perform double duty: to control the gate, and to display current status of the gate.  It sounds as if you want the keypad button to be ON when the gate is open and OFF when the gate is closed.  I assume that the gate controller closes a circuit when the gate is anything but fully closed (that is, "open" is defined as not fully closed).  I am hoping that your IOLinc sensor node is ON when the gate is not fully closed and OFF when the gate is fully closed.  If these things are all true, I recommend reading the wiki article on programming for a garage door and treat this the same.

Archived