Adding Scenes: Downloaded the cookbook and I'm a little overwhelmed

The over 600 pages is a little intimidating.  So far I have just linked a couple switches to control the same load.  I'm wanting lights come on at certain times and turn on when sensing motion.  Are there some easy to follow instructions for doing this?  In the scene I created for one light, it says "default" under "action" and link type.  Does default mean it is the controller?

There aren't really easy instructions as there are different variables to any given situation. There are plenty of programs that people have used on these forums as well as the wiki.

With the cookbook being overwhelming, I would suggest starting with the basic stuff first such as creating and configuring your scenes before trying to add programs. Start small with a single scene or 2. Try the different options to see what happens. That alone will do more than a person simply telling you what to do

Once your scenes operate properly throughout the house, you can then move on to basic on/off programs. As your knowledge grows and you start understanding program structure, you can build on those experiences. 

Whether something is a controller or responder is determined by how you add it to the scene. The action under the drop down is for you to choose whether you want the device on/off etc.

25 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

There aren't really easy instructions as there are different variables to any given situation. There are plenty of programs that people have used on these forums as well as the wiki.

With the cookbook being overwhelming, I would suggest starting with the basic stuff first such as creating and configuring your scenes before trying to add programs. Start small with a single scene or 2. Try the different options to see what happens. That alone will do more than a person simply telling you what to do

Once your scenes operate properly throughout the house, you can then move on to basic on/off programs. As your knowledge grows and you start understanding program structure, you can build on those experiences. 

Whether something is a controller or responder is determined by how you add it to the scene. The action under the drop down is for you to choose whether you want the device on/off etc.

Makes sense. When you say start easy with scenes, do you mean just linking groups of lights together to control the same load? Also, do mean there are programs that I can copy/paste to turn lights on at certain times, etc.? Thank you. 

11 hours ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Makes sense. When you say start easy with scenes, do you mean just linking groups of lights together to control the same load? Also, do mean there are programs that I can copy/paste to turn lights on at certain times, etc.? Thank you. 

That is what I mean when it comes to scenes. Play around with a few things just to see how different options effect things. Then you can start adding more devices to your scenes etc. Experimenting early on will set you up for success later on as you learn what does what.

There are programs that you can follow not necessarily copy and pasting them. However I do not recommend that route as you will not learn how to program the isy. A copied program doesn't teach why it was done a certain way or how it works better than another way. It takes time and effort to learn that. There are no shortcuts. 

While everyone is here to help, most don't want to do the work for you. You'll find people's willingness to help dwindles if they see you are simply trying to have them program for you vs learning how to on your own. 

Archived