Looking for wiring advice for WiFi thermostat(s)

Athlon

12 minutes ago, keepersg said:

My nest thermostats were wired by the installer with just two wires to control a TACO zone panel for a gas fired radiant system.  The valves chattered  because of the power stealing strategy of the thermostats.  Might take a look at this:  http://cocoontech.com/forums/gallery/image/1150-img-2027/     which was my solution to the problem.

Certainly an option - thanks.

My 24v AC adapter arrived yesterday from Amazon - still waiting on the first Ecobee from Mass Save (only $70 each). My plan is to give each new stat it's own 24v adapter. I don't think it will be difficult for me to hide their leads.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, larryllix said:

for basement, I was taught to drill up through the bottom plate with a large bit ~3/4 - 7/8" and then drop a string with a nut on the end down from the stat hole. Keep bouncing and pendulumming the nut, until it drops through the hole. I did this once through two floors. You just keep bouncing until you feel the string go tight again. :)

You could drill the 3/4" hole from the basement and tie a large steel nut to a string and slip it up into the above wall. From the thermostat opening connect an earth-magnet to a string and lower it into the wall, by swinging it back and forth it will catch the steel bolt and pull it up

Updating this thread...

I got all three Ecobee3 Lite's installed yesterday and everything is working great so far. I went with the FAST-STAT solution. Dropping a wire down to the baseboard was problematic at two of them because of light switches under them being in the way.  The FAST-STATs made it very easy. They are installed at the boiler.

I ordered 3 FAST-STAT devices from Home Depot on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday with free shipping. They had the best price by far for them.

Because of my 'unusual' three zone wiring from my three zone valves not matching any of the suggested schematics (not even close) supplied by FAST-STAT, I called their support line on Friday.  The tech I talked to was incredibly helpful. He actually provided me with a customized schematic! It took him about 20 minutes to create it on his PC. This made installation very easy!

Common Maker - U - Honeywell Zone Valve.pdf

I've emailed Ecobee so they will update the firmware in each stat. The old firmware on them doesn't allow me to 'connect' any smart sensors to them yet.

I've also installed the Polyglot-Cloud Nodeserver and I see all three in my AC.

Now to look for ideas on how to use all of that info in there!

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.

Archived