Is my keypadlinc dying or is my plm or?

danbutter

TL;DR: keypadlinc went stupid. Tried to replace with new. Couldn't get new to take programming. Put old back in and it worked...for a week and went stupid again.  Tips?

So of course while out of town for work last week my 8 button keypadlinc stops working.

When I get home I grab a 6 button new in the box and hook it to power factory reset it and did the hold a and h button thing and covert it to an 8 button. Added to isy and it popped in all 8 buttons. Went into the admin console and hit replace old with new. 

Well it took off and looked like it was going to be fine so since there was a lot of info to write I walked away for a few.

When I came back the little green icon of 1010101 was beside all 8 buttons. So I hit write changes and it started saying writing to, but then when I looked at what it said it was writing to it was zwave devices and nodelink stuff...not the insteon address of my new keypad.

So it never wrote to the new keypad.

I tried it and only the main (A) button did anything which you would think is normal, but I don't even have a load connected to the keypad. It's linked to a fanlinc and it turned that light on, but not off.

So I wired up the old keypad to power and did the replace back the other way and it worked fine again so I reinstalled it. Now it has gone goofy again and isn't working right.

No other issues with any of the insteon in my house.

Anything anybody can suggest I try with the new keypad to get it to work?

Do you have to have an 8 button to replace an 8 button? The new one showed 8 buttons in the AC and let me hit replace.

Could this be the plm?

I'm grasping at straws now. Any help is appreciated. 

2 hours ago, danbutter said:

TL;DR: keypadlinc went stupid. Tried to replace with new. Couldn't get new to take programming. Put old back in and it worked...for a week and went stupid again.  Tips?

So of course while out of town for work last week my 8 button keypadlinc stops working.

When I get home I grab a 6 button new in the box and hook it to power factory reset it and did the hold a and h button thing and covert it to an 8 button. Added to isy and it popped in all 8 buttons. Went into the admin console and hit replace old with new. 

Well it took off and looked like it was going to be fine so since there was a lot of info to write I walked away for a few.

When I came back the little green icon of 1010101 was beside all 8 buttons. So I hit write changes and it started saying writing to, but then when I looked at what it said it was writing to it was zwave devices and nodelink stuff...not the insteon address of my new keypad.

So it never wrote to the new keypad.

I tried it and only the main (A) button did anything which you would think is normal, but I don't even have a load connected to the keypad. It's linked to a fanlinc and it turned that light on, but not off.

So I wired up the old keypad to power and did the replace back the other way and it worked fine again so I reinstalled it. Now it has gone goofy again and isn't working right.

No other issues with any of the insteon in my house.

Anything anybody can suggest I try with the new keypad to get it to work?

Do you have to have an 8 button to replace an 8 button? The new one showed 8 buttons in the AC and let me hit replace.

Could this be the plm?

I'm grasping at straws now. Any help is appreciated. 

If your old (original)  KLP is currently installed then do a diagnostics | show device link tables. After the link table fully populates then click on compare. If the compare shows any mismatched link tables then do a restore device.

Exactly what is the keypad doing or not doing. Can you be more specific.

What type of load is connected to button A

If the problem is only with the KPL and no other devices then your PLM is most likely OK.

Ok so the keypad is not acting normal.

I have the keys linked to scenes for lights and fan speeds as well as a basement off program.

When I got home last week it wouldn't control anything. I pulled the tab out to air gap it for a bit and after that it would turn on the light linked to the A button, but not off or anything else.

I have no load connected to this keypad. The red wire is simply capped in the box. The A button is linked to a scene that controls the light in a fanlinc.

After the whole thing last weekend it was back to normal for a few days. 

Now it seems random as to what works and what doesn't. The backlight is odd and doesn't correspond with the scenes. 

I can control other insteon lights from my phone so I assume the plm is okay also, but not sure why I can't write to the new keypad.

I'll try the diagnostics when I get home tonight.  I did try a restore last weekend, but that didn't work. It was only after I tried the replace with the new keypad and then went back and did a second replace with the old one that it began to work again.

3 hours ago, danbutter said:

Ok so the keypad is not acting normal.

I have the keys linked to scenes for lights and fan speeds as well as a basement off program.

When I got home last week it wouldn't control anything. I pulled the tab out to air gap it for a bit and after that it would turn on the light linked to the A button, but not off or anything else.

I have no load connected to this keypad. The red wire is simply capped in the box. The A button is linked to a scene that controls the light in a fanlinc.

After the whole thing last weekend it was back to normal for a few days. 

Now it seems random as to what works and what doesn't. The backlight is odd and doesn't correspond with the scenes. 

I can control other insteon lights from my phone so I assume the plm is okay also, but not sure why I can't write to the new keypad.

I'll try the diagnostics when I get home tonight.  I did try a restore last weekend, but that didn't work. It was only after I tried the replace with the new keypad and then went back and did a second replace with the old one that it began to work again.

After you run your diagnostics you might want to do a factory reset on the KPL then a restore device.

What is the firmware version of the KPL ( it will display in the admin console )

I have a large number of KPLs installed  and occasionally have issues with their non-volatile memory becoming corrupted, especially with the older firmware versions. I've only noticed this with the KPLs and not with any other Insteon devices. 

Ok did the checks with device link tables and ended up with the 101010 again as it couldn't write to the keypad.

I did query insteon engine and they (the 101010) vanished and then I was able to run the device link table diag.

It found two mistakes.  I did a restore and it wrote to the keypad.  Tested it and it takes between 5 and 10 extra button hits before it will do what it is supposed to.

I'm using the admin console to turn on and off various lights around the house and everything works fine.

Soooo....I'm going to assume the keypad is just dying.  

Now how do I go about swapping it out for the new one I have.

Would I do anything different than just add it to the ISY and then hit replace old with new?  After taking it out of the folder that it is in of course (for anyone who stumbles across this later and didn't know that already).

Thanks for all the help.

Oops I forgot to mention the unit is a 2334-2 Keypadlinc Dimmer 8 Buttons v.43

2 minutes ago, danbutter said:

Ok did the checks with device link tables and ended up with the 101010 again as it couldn't write to the keypad.

I did query insteon engine and they (the 101010) vanished and then I was able to run the device link table diag.

It found two mistakes.  I did a restore and it wrote to the keypad.  Tested it and it takes between 5 and 10 extra button hits before it will do what it is supposed to.

I'm using the admin console to turn on and off various lights around the house and everything works fine.

Soooo....I'm going to assume the keypad is just dying.  

Now how do I go about swapping it out for the new one I have.

Would I do anything different than just add it to the ISY and then hit replace old with new?  After taking it out of the folder that it is in of course (for anyone who stumbles across this later and didn't know that already).

Thanks for all the help.

It's important to replace like for like, i.e. an 8 button with an 8 button.

You can physically remove the old keypad, then install and link the new keypad in its place. The old keypad will still show in the admin console, just right click on the old keypad and click on replace with - click on the new keypad  (which will show up in you device list with its address) After the ISY completes the replace procedure the admin console will shut down.

When you open up the admin console the new keypad will have replaced the old one.

Well first things first...I just made a backup of the ISY with everything "normal" at least as far as the ISY can tell.

Now on to the keypads.  So are you saying even though the keypadlincs can be switched back and forth from 6 to 8 buttons that I can't replace one that started as an 8 button with one that started as a 6?  It (the new keypad) did show up with 8 buttons in the admin console and it did do a replace...it just didn't seem to finish.  I had never tried the query insteon engine thing that seemed to help early this evening though.

I'll likely try the whole replace thing again this weekend assuming I have time.  It beats spending $80 on a new one if I can get what I already have to work.

10 hours ago, danbutter said:

Well first things first...I just made a backup of the ISY with everything "normal" at least as far as the ISY can tell.

Now on to the keypads.  So are you saying even though the keypadlincs can be switched back and forth from 6 to 8 buttons that I can't replace one that started as an 8 button with one that started as a 6?  It (the new keypad) did show up with 8 buttons in the admin console and it did do a replace...it just didn't seem to finish.  I had never tried the query insteon engine thing that seemed to help early this evening though.

I'll likely try the whole replace thing again this weekend assuming I have time.  It beats spending $80 on a new one if I can get what I already have to work.

You're fine using the 6 or 8 button. They just just be in the same mode.

They are the same device except in how they come programmed from the factory. The difference would be coming from a 2486 to a 2334 or vice versa.

Archived