DS10a with ISY?

ergodic

As I understand it, when you change the battery or press the reset button on the DS10 security sensor, it picks one of a limited number (256?) wireless security codes at random. It will continue to use the same security code until the reset button is again pressed or the battery dies or is removed.

Current model ISYs communicates with the outside world using an Insteon 2412S Power Line Modem (PLM) interface, capable of transmitting and receiving Insteon standard and extended messages and x10 standard power line signals. The PLM alone cannot receive wireless x10 or wireless 10 security signals, at least not without a little help.

WGL Designs builds and sells one such solution. You can program their V572RF32 32 bit wireless tranceiver (http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html) to receive a wireless x10 or x10 security signal, then map that to and transmit a standard x10 power line signal. The ISY could then use the resulting x10 power line signal to trigger programs.

Each time you did a battery change you'd need to reprogram the WGL interface to respond to the new, random code. It's certainly doable, but it isn't nearly as easy as using the wireless Insteon TriggerLinc or a plug-in IO Lincs.

Thanks - I already have an EZX10RF for the RF codes, but that's what I was afraid of. Glad I asked and appreciate the response.

I'm not reallly sure how much 'security' is afforded by 1 / 8x8, (I suppose a little more than 1/1.) Anyway these will just be interior door sensors and I don't care about the security issue and the price is right of course at $5@ but I'll have to look at the other options. The Triggerlinc doesn't look to bad and is a little smaller than the DS10a which is nice.

Archived