Living on the Edge of Technolgy with Mac & Parallels

C Martin

I am re-posting this . I posted it in the wrong section - Sorry!

OK...

I live on the Cutting Edge of Technology.

I have decided to go to an IMac and have installed Parallels with Windows Vista. Believe it or not I have real legitimate reasons for this tehnology strategy. I do see a real convergence of technolgy in the Near Future and I need to be there, if not first, close to first.

First - I can't get Safari to open the ISY correctly. I do get the Admin Screen but it is missing the tabs for the Programs and Program Details. Running ISY has been spotty at best. Do I need to use a different Browser? - I have no problem with that - I really don't like Safari.

Second - Under Windows Vista I get much of the same results, but with BIG logon problems. I also can't see the MyLighting Icon on the main window (this may be a tough problem to solve).

I have downloaded the latest Java for Windows.

And I have the latest version of Java for the Mac also.

Under both OS's I use the Logon to My Insteon ISY.url

Any advice to solve my problems would greatly appreciated.

By the Way - My experience into this arena has been pretty good. I do get good fuctionality with Vista - some MS Applications have graphics issues. I am still testing other applications that require DirectX support.

C Martin,

Excellent post!

The first thing you should do is to use http://www.universal-devices.com/beta instead of the Logon to MyISY URL simply because I know for a fact you are running the Beta 2.5. If you use the Logon to MyISY URL, you will have a client/firmware mismatch which explains why you don't see the tabs on either of your IMAC and Vista.

Next, My Ligthing should appear in Network dialog in Vista. This has been thoroughly tested and currently used by many ISYers. If you don't see My Lighting in Network, then you might have setup your Vista Network for "Public" places which prevents all UPnP traffic.

In order to access ISY directly (without going to our website), please do the following:

1. Go to our website using http://www.universal-devices.com/beta

2. Login to the Admin Console

3. Choose Help->About and write down the value for My URL

4. Create shortcuts and/or put that URL in your favorites in Safari

The only problem with step 4 above is that ISY might be given a new DHCP assigned IP which causes your shortcuts/favorite links not to work in the future. To alleviate, you have three choices:

A. Make ISY use static IP address

B. Configure your router to make ISY's DHCP lease permanent

C. If your link fails, simply redo steps 1,2,3,4 above

With kind regards,

Michel

I am re-posting this . I posted it in the wrong section - Sorry!

OK...

I live on the Cutting Edge of Technology.

I have decided to go to an IMac and have installed Parallels with Windows Vista. Believe it or not I have real legitimate reasons for this tehnology strategy. I do see a real convergence of technolgy in the Near Future and I need to be there, if not first, close to first.

First - I can't get Safari to open the ISY correctly. I do get the Admin Screen but it is missing the tabs for the Programs and Program Details. Running ISY has been spotty at best. Do I need to use a different Browser? - I have no problem with that - I really don't like Safari.

Second - Under Windows Vista I get much of the same results, but with BIG logon problems. I also can't see the MyLighting Icon on the main window (this may be a tough problem to solve).

I have downloaded the latest Java for Windows.

And I have the latest version of Java for the Mac also.

Under both OS's I use the Logon to My Insteon ISY.url

Any advice to solve my problems would greatly appreciated.

By the Way - My experience into this arena has been pretty good. I do get good fuctionality with Vista - some MS Applications have graphics issues. I am still testing other applications that require DirectX support.

Thanks Michel,

I now have the Mac working.

Interesting situation though -

When the Mac downloads the file, it automatically unzips the archive. To solve the problem- I actually re-archived it so that the manual update could unzip & load the update.

But the Vista running under Parallels is aother story. I will keep you posted as I try different options.

Is there a possibility (in a future release of the ISY) that the serial connector will be replaced with a USB port? Serial ports are just about obsolete in our industry.

C Martin,

My pleasure!

You can use the "Ctrl" button when downloading a zip to MAC to stop it from automatically unzipping the file.

I am not sure why your Vista does not work. Please do keep me posted.

Yes, we have plans for the future products to have a USB connector.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel,

I now have the Mac working.

Interesting situation though -

When the Mac downloads the file, it automatically unzips the archive. To solve the problem- I actually re-archived it so that the manual update could unzip & load the update.

But the Vista running under Parallels is aother story. I will keep you posted as I try different options.

Is there a possibility (in a future release of the ISY) that the serial connector will be replaced with a USB port? Serial ports are just about obsolete in our industry.

I think that I discovered the problem when I was working on the Mac side of things.

The Mac ask if this is a trusted site. If you say no, the screen opens in an inoperable state. This is the same thing that happens in Vista. So, I suspect that I need to look into how Java interacts with ISY (permisiions and so on).

C Martin,

Ah ... I think you got it.

On Vista, type Java in the Search bar, and in the ensuing dialog, click on the Security tab, and remove the Universal Devices Inc. entry.

On MAC, go to Applications-> J2SE5.0 -> Properties and do the same.

Please let me know how it goes.

With kind regards,

Michel

I think that I discovered the problem when I was working on the Mac side of things.

The Mac ask if this is a trusted site. If you say no, the screen opens in an inoperable state. This is the same thing that happens in Vista. So, I suspect that I need to look into how Java interacts with ISY (permisiions and so on).

AHA!

No wonder then ... the main issue is that your Vista can NOT find your ISY. We just have to figure out why!

Here's my suggestion:

1. Use your iMAC to find your ISY's URL ... Help->About->My URL

2. Open a browser window on Vista, and just type in ISY's URL as you found in step 1

If you do NOT get the splash page, then we have to trouble shoot the network. If you do, then we have to figure out why you can't get to ISY through our web-site.

With kind regards,

Michel

That's how I had to run the ISY program - My lighting does not show up on my computer.

C Martin,

Yes truly!

But, at the end of the day, are they all emulated except the MAC?

Better yet, what software is it that you use so that we can test it with our MAC?

With kind regards,

Michel

no, when you run Parallels, you create a virtual machine that allows you to run multiple OS's on the Mac.

You can run Vista, XP, Linux or or any at a time.

See what I mean by Cutting Edge?

Aha .... finally things are becoming crystal clear! Apologies ... I must've sounded like a ... while discussing Parallels!

Ok, now that I understand where we are, I think I am better able to handle the situation.

Can you try accessing http://75.80.22.57:64390/0/x . Please let me know what you experience.

Thanks!

The software is called Parallels. Sells for from $60 to $80, depending on where you buy it.

Yes, that's the internet address for the ISY in our lab. So, this tells me a few things:

a. Your Java settings are correct

b. You do not have any firewall issues

c. The problem is "finding" ISY on your own subnet

Have you tried accessing your ISY's URL directly and, if so, what's the result?

With kind regards,

Michel

it works!

Isn't that the Internet Access address for the ISY?

OK, I feel dumb...

I was trying to log on using the Logon to My Insteon ISY.

I was lso trying the Beta address given before.

I thought I tried using the IP Address before - but to no avail, but I must have done something wrong - It now works just fine.

How do i solve the No Icon problem, any ideas?

C Martin,

I am so glad that we finally resolved at least one of the issues. The no icon problem is due to how Vista configures networks.

1. In the Network dialog, click on "Network and Sharing Center"

2. In the ensuing dialog, at the center, you will see "Sharing and Discovery"

3. Make sure Network Discovery is On

This should do it.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK, I feel dumb...

I was trying to log on using the Logon to My Insteon ISY.

I was lso trying the Beta address given before.

I thought I tried using the IP Address before - but to no avail, but I must have done something wrong - It now works just fine.

How do i solve the No Icon problem, any ideas?

Archived