What will I need to purchase?

I'm currently using an X10 system that I wish to transition eventually to Insteon. I will have some devices in each format. What will I need to purchase when getting an ISY99 that will allow this interoperability?

You wouldn’t be getting a ISY 99 Series Controller. You would purchase 994 Series Controller, 2413S PLM, and perhaps the X-10 module for the 994 so the devices show up in the device tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you consider the (smart) move beyond X10, then I would suggest that you not only consider Insteon but also Zwave. 

While I understand that the move from X10 to Insteon makes logical sense, Zwave can be complementary to Insteon, and why not use what is best in these different technologies that easily co-exist in I994ZW?

If you consider the (smart) move beyond X10, then I would suggest that you not only consider Insteon but also Zwave. 
While I understand that the move from X10 to Insteon makes logical sense, Zwave can be complementary to Insteon, and why not use what is best in these different technologies that easily co-exist in I994ZW?

Thanks for your replies. I would of course be buying a new (current) unit; I didn't realize there was an older option. Would I be able to use X10, Insteon, and Zwave together? And about how much would the X10 'module' cost?

Yes, you would purchase the Z-Wave model of the 994 Series Controller. Once the controller arrived and set up on the network you can go to the top of the Help menu and select purchase modules.

This will bring you to a web page and present you with available modules like X-10. I believe it’s under $5.XX so great value and allows the X-10 device to be represented as a Node in the device tree. Keep in mind if you do absolutely nothing you can still control X-10 devices simply by going into the programs folder and input the house / unit codes.

Lastly, you must purchase a Insteon 2413S PLM from Amazon / Smarthome to allow that integration.

NOTE: Once you get your feet wet consider purchasing the Network Module, ISY Portal. Having both will allow you and the controller to be a super Ninja.

If you're planning on using insteon, I would look at getting rid of your x10 completely (finances willing). The more insteon devices you add, the more your x10 will suffer. While things may work well in the beginning with only a few insteon devices, you'll find yourself with a multitude of issues over time as you add more.

I love insteon over zwave for lighting. Door locks and sensors I would use zwave. I prefer outlets for building out my zwave mesh network. 

Focus on 1 technology at a time. While it's easy to jump in and try to use everything, the nuances of the different protocols can be troublesome when combined together and lack knowledge about the inner workings. 

33 minutes ago, Teken said:

Lastly, you must purchase a Insteon 2413S PLM from Amazon / Smarthome to allow that integration.

When purchasing the 2413S PLM from Amazon, make sure that the PLM is the latest version. Not sure as to what that is at the moment.

Revision 2.5 is the latest I have seen reported for the 2413S.

If you are using X10 2 wire wall switch dimmers. That do not need a neutral power connection. Insteon wall switches do nee a neutral connection. So you may want to look inside the switch boxes and see if their is a neutral wire bundle in the box.

Also another data point to keep in mind as you initially grow your new home automation network. Those using X-10 know this quite well with respect to coupling and paying attention to noise makers / signal suckers. Both Insteon and Z-Wave also require a level of bridging to help propagate the the network and if anything this means a financial investment.

Keep in mind if you have some really old X-10 blasters or couplers its possible they will help bridge the split single phase electrical system. I have three 240 VAC Dryer Lincs and one of them has the two LED's indicating transmit / received. All three were noted to help bridge the network but only the none LED version was intended to be used for Insteon. Regardless, I left the dual led Dryer Linc in place and it has never caused any issues for me.

I've learned so much from the tips in this thread and had many other questions answered. Thank you all! I'll definitely be expanding Insteon in my home as finances allow. I do have several lights that are on two-wire AC feeds with no easy way to upgrade the wiring without tearing up the walls. I plan on using the Insteon 2-wire switch modules for those lights. I'd gotten pretty good at identifying signal suckers and unplugging or filtering those, as well as signal bridging and tracing using X10 thanks to JV Engineering products.

Does anyone make signal tracers / identifiers like the JV engineering meters for X10?

35 minutes ago, TheHarbinger said:

I've learned so much from the tips in this thread and had many other questions answered. Thank you all! I'll definitely be expanding Insteon in my home as finances allow. I do have several lights that are on two-wire AC feeds with no easy way to upgrade the wiring without tearing up the walls. I plan on using the Insteon 2-wire switch modules for those lights. I'd gotten pretty good at identifying signal suckers and unplugging or filtering those, as well as signal bridging and tracing using X10 thanks to JV Engineering products.

Does anyone make signal tracers / identifiers like the JV engineering meters for X10?

No official device exists any longer as there was an Insteon diagnostic tool for a short period of time held in a KPL frame kit. Lastly, please keep in mind the 2-Wire insteon switch requires a specific incandescent load. 

If you are using the XTB-IIR for X10 repeating between the two incoming power lines. It does not step on Insteon power line commands. It will not pass an Insteon command between the two lines but will not corrupt it like some of the other brands did. I still have one in use in my setup.

Archived