Open / Close status flipped in Alexa

tmorse305

The sensor status coming from my security panel is flipped in Alexa.  I'm using the NodeLink Server to connect my DSC panel to ISY via Envisalink.  The status is correct in ISY(closed) but it gets flipped on it's way to Alexa(open).  Easy enough to fix but I'm wondering if that is normal or do I have something set up incorrectly.  See screen shots, ISY, ISY Portal, and Alexa.

Thanks

Annotation 2020-03-10 125249.png

Annotation 2020-03-10 125418.png

Photo Mar 10, 12 54 30 PM.png

On 3/11/2020 at 8:30 AM, bmercier said:

What is the result of /rest/nodes/n001_dsc1_z03 ?

Most likely, the issue lies with the value used by the nodeserver to represent open/close.

Benoit

<nodeInfo>
<node flag="0" nodeDefId="DSCZone" nls="102Z">
<address>n001_dsc1_z03</address>
<name>Garage_Door_1</name>
<family instance="1">10</family>
<parent type="3">6745</parent>
<type>1.1.0.0</type>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
<wattage>0</wattage>
<dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
<startDelay>0</startDelay>
<endDelay>0</endDelay>
<pnode>n001_dsc1</pnode>
<ELK_ID>M12</ELK_ID>
</node>
<properties>
<property id="ST" value="0" formatted="Closed" uom="25"/>
</properties>
</nodeInfo>

Looks like the value 0 is associated with 'Closed', right?  Does 0 correspond to 'Open' in the Alexa world?

On 3/12/2020 at 11:21 AM, tmorse305 said:

Looks like the value 0 is associated with 'Closed', right?  Does 0 correspond to 'Open' in the Alexa world?

Yes and no. ISY Portal interprets 0 as a Open, and tells Alexa. To my knowledge,  that how other devices work.

Benoit

17 hours ago, bmercier said:

Yes and no. ISY Portal interprets 0 as a Open, and tells Alexa. To my knowledge,  that how other devices work.

Benoit

This may be an instance where the conventional definition of 'open' differs between Alexa and Security Panels. Perhaps @io_guycan weigh in on this.

Meantime, I can just use a program to flip the definition for Alexa purposes.

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bmercier said:

Hello,

I made a fix to address this case.

Would you mind testing again? Please test by looking at the Alexa app, but also using a routine.

Thanks,

Benoit

Hi Benoit,

The door sense(open/close) is now correct in Alexa.  I also created a routine using the door as the trigger condition and that also works.  I configured the door in the Portal as a contact sensor. 

I also tried it using the new category 'Device with Open/Close syntax'.  When Alexa discovered it this way it comes through as a device that displays as 'Power is On/Off'.  That was a surprise, is that correct?

Thanks for fixing this, it works correctly when configured as a contact sensor.

Tim

Thanks for the quick feedback.

The "Device with Open/Close syntax" is something totally different. I understand that intuitively one would expect to get an Open/Close status. The thing is that to achieve this open/close syntax, we need to use one of the "controllers" that supports it, one of them being the "ToggleController". Then, to also support turning it on/off, we need to combine it with the Power Controller. All this results in the UI that you can see.

I think it would be possible to show open/close instead, if we got rid of the PowerController, but that would mean those devices would not longer be able to be controlled with turn on/off. Only with Open/Close.

Benoit

Archived