New Insteon Hardware - SBP-Wall - Smart Wall Switch

Teken

Another new listing for hardware has been added just today from Smartlabs and the FCC ID is: SBP-Wall / PS01

https://fccid.io/SBP-WALL

Initial testing data can be found here: https://fccid.io/SBP-WALL/Test-Report/S19101601506001-FCC-249-R1-4657462 

Perhaps we shall see a couple of new pieces of hardware for 2020 such as the PLM Pro with 4K links!

Thank you for the information.

I will give it a look when I can. Seems with all the internet being used from home. Unless I try and do something lets say at 5:00 AM. Many of my pages never load or data is lost.

6 hours ago, Teken said:

Another new listing for hardware has been added just today from Smartlabs and the FCC ID is: SBP-Wall / PS01

https://fccid.io/SBP-WALL

Initial testing data can be found here: https://fccid.io/SBP-WALL/Test-Report/S19101601506001-FCC-249-R1-4657462 

Perhaps we shall see a couple of new pieces of hardware for 2020 such as the PLM Pro with 4K links!

I'm sure they'll make us all happy this year or early next.... As well as piss off many others

I'm sure they'll make us all happy this year or early next.... As well as piss off many others

Well, if the Insteon Gods we’re listening perhaps it will be a LCD driven KPL? Incorporate energy monitoring? Built in Alexa / Google?

Just waiting for the FCC database to show the interior / exterior hardware and initial user manual.

On a related tangent hope a new dual band I/O Linc is in the pipeline along with more international offerings for our brothers & sisters across the pond!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Teken said:

Well, if the Insteon Gods we’re listening perhaps it will be a LCD driven KPL? Incorporate energy monitoring? Built in Alexa / Google? emoji848.png

Just waiting for the FCC database to show the interior / exterior hardware and initial user manual. emoji16.png

On a related tangent hope a new dual band I/O Linc is in the pipeline along with more international offerings for our brothers & sisters across the pond! emoji106.png

Yeah..... They aren't listening that much. Besides, not enough willing to pay for what it would cost

Teken.

Don't hold your breath on seeing things like the users manual, internal and external photos. They are listed as available 09/16/2020 on the FCC web page. Things like the schematics will probably never be released to the public. Unless something has changed. They never released schematics publicly in the past and I doubt the new management will change things.

Teken.
Don't hold your breath on seeing things like the users manual, internal and external photos. They are listed as available 09/16/2020 on the FCC web page. Things like the schematics will probably never be released to the public. Unless something has changed. They never released schematics publicly in the past and I doubt the new management will change things.
They even release white papers with misleading specs to confuse copycats.

Sent using Tapatalk

They even release white papers with misleading specs to confuse copycats.

Sent using Tapatalk

Larry,

I’ve seen you reference this a few times over the years. Is there something specific you can point out that you believe is less than factual in the Insteon White Paper?!?

I’ve read this document quite a few times over the years and can’t say there are any elements which aren’t grounded in facts or supported by the actual hardware.

The only thing I could probably call out that isn’t what most people would consider security is the fact Smartlabs over plays the linking process as being one of the primary security elements.

If they were serious like Z-Wave they would have incorporated true encryption along with local add linking to the topology.

25 minutes ago, Teken said:

Larry,

I’ve seen you reference this a few times over the years. Is there something specific you can point out that you believe is less than factual in the Insteon White Paper?!? emoji848.png

I’ve read this document quite a few times over the years and can’t say there are any elements which aren’t grounded in facts or supported by the actual hardware.

The only thing I could probably call out that isn’t what most people would consider security is the fact Smartlabs over plays the linking process as being one of the primary security elements. emoji1785.png

If they were serious like Z-Wave they would have incorporated true encryption along with local add linking to the topology.

This was one source somebody posted a years ago. Although he didn't succeed to hack into and control Insteon equipment while demonstrating he did discover many aspects of the documentation was false, mostly frequencies and some of the protocol, IIRC.

AS I continue to maintain, whitepapers are not specifications. They are proposals for comment. Most companies protect their intelligent properties by publishing old version off-spec documents.  THE USPO has become a poor system and checks nothing anymore except you signed the prior art docs.

Actually some things have changed.

The Operational Descriptions and Block Diagrams where in the early Insteon FCC Database files. They where still in the 2413U/S PLM  FCC Files. I suspect now that Richmond has taken over they have gotten more restricted on what the public can access.

The schematics and parts lists for the 2414U/S PLC and 2412S/U older PLM. Where in the Developers Guides. Us early Developers Group members had access to. When they close the group. For awhile the developers information files where publicly released for all to download.

I was thinking maybe this new 4 button KPL is like the wide button version some members have created in the past. Our dear friend Stu had made a few and show cased them in past threads.

I’ve been wanting to do the same for awhile but never got around to doing so. If this is similar then Smartlabs has saved me time and effort and the frame assembly will be purpose built to do so!

41 minutes ago, Teken said:

I was thinking maybe this new 4 button KPL is like the wide button version some members have created in the past. Our dear friend Stu had made a few and show cased them in past threads.

I’ve been wanting to do the same for awhile but never got around to doing so. If this is similar then Smartlabs has saved me time and effort and the frame assembly will be purpose built to do so! emoji106.png

A 4 button would be great. I'd have greater need for that over a 6 button

2 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

A 4 button would be great. I'd have greater need for that over a 6 button

Yes. Larger buttons are easier to label and tap. To many buttons on a wall plate makes it more intimidating for non-HA people to us. All my keypad, battery and power, except one got junk boxed, once Alexa and Google Home came out. With dozens or hundreds of vocal buttons I can push, why limit myself to 6 or 8 unlabelled, 'try and see what happens',  type buttons.. :) 

Then there is the cloud aspect though. :( 

36 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Yes. Larger buttons are easier to label and tap. To many buttons on a wall plate makes it more intimidating for non-HA people to us. All my keypad, battery and power, except one got junk boxed, once Alexa and Google Home came out. With dozens or hundreds of vocal buttons I can push, why limit myself to 6 or 8 unlabelled, 'try and see what happens',  type buttons.. :) 

Then there is the cloud aspect though. :( 

Automation as well as voice control has freed up most of what I used the extra buttons for. I still have them for some stuff but in the near future, I can see not needing more than 4 at all

• 8 months later...

As of this writing the bulk of the internal / external photos have been released for the various products.

An interim user manual is also published but with nothing called out (TBA). Sadly, the dial switch isn’t listed anywhere for review.

The biggest news in all of this is Smartlabs appears to be involved with another company. There doesn’t appear to be much information as it pertains to their business relationship so hard to say how they fit into the mix.

After 15 years even this new owner has failed make any in roads with any major third party hardware vendor. The fact Insteon continues to sell and have some market share is truly amazing and unbelievable.

Their next generation Hub is the latest FCC filing which affirms (yet again) they believe this is money well spent. Instead of investing money in solid components for higher reliability in all of their hardware?!?

If the picture of the latest hardware are to be accepted someone must be a fan of Wemo because that’s what it looks like an ugly turd.

2021 is fast approaching and Smartlabs continues to offer hardware with no encryption, no energy monitoring, no field upgradable firmware!

I received 27 Alpha, Beta, and Market Ready pieces of hardware in the last 14 months. Every one of them has some form of industry standardized encryption whether it be via software / hardware chip. All of them can monitor the voltage, frequency, power, and current!

Lastly, all of them can be upgraded with the latest firmware?!?

How the hell companies from small to large in different parts of the world do this yet Smartlabs - Can’t????

The answer is inept and out of touch CEO’s and people below them - period. The reality is Insteon would not have any market share if it wasn’t for the 2413S PLM which has allowed great companies like UDI to band aid their hardware.

Unlike many here I won’t follow any lighting vendor as the last ten years as proven it’s still a clown show. For me the long term solution and future is in smart panels.

No more can’t use this load, no more replacing $50 - 100.00 switches every random year. No more WiFi, BLE, Power Line, RF, and no more proprietary bull sh^t protocol like Insteon, Z-Wave, Zigbee, X-10, blah blah.

It just works - that’s the road I’m traveling on in the near term!

17 minutes ago, Teken said:

As of this writing the bulk of the internal / external photos have been released for the various products.

An interim user manual is also published but with nothing called out (TBA). Sadly, the dial switch isn’t listed anywhere for review.

The biggest news in all of this is Smartlabs appears to be involved with another company. There doesn’t appear to be much information as it pertains to their business relationship so hard to say how they fit into the mix.

After 15 years even this new owner has failed make any in roads with any major third party hardware vendor. The fact Insteon continues to sell and have some market share is truly amazing and unbelievable.

Their next generation Hub is the latest FCC filing which affirms (yet again) they believe this is money well spent. Instead of investing money in solid components for higher reliability in all of their hardware?!?

If the picture of the latest hardware are to be accepted someone must be a fan of Wemo because that’s what it looks like an ugly turd.

2021 is fast approaching and Smartlabs continues to offer hardware with no encryption, no energy monitoring, no field upgradable firmware!

I received 27 Alpha, Beta, and Market Ready pieces of hardware in the last 14 months. Every one of them has some form of industry standardized encryption whether it be via software / hardware chip. All of them can monitor the voltage, frequency, power, and current!

Lastly, all of them can be upgraded with the latest firmware?!?

How the hell companies from small to large in different parts of the world do this yet Smartlabs - Can’t????

The answer is inept and out of touch CEO’s and people below them - period. The reality is Insteon would not have any market share if it wasn’t for the 2413S PLM which has allowed great companies like UDI to band aid their hardware.

Unlike many here I won’t follow any lighting vendor as the last ten years as proven it’s still a clown show. For me the long term solution and future is in smart panels.

No more can’t use this load, no more replacing $50 - 100.00 switches every random year. No more WiFi, BLE, Power Line, RF, and no more proprietary bull sh^t protocol like Insteon, Z-Wave, Zigbee, X-10, blah blah.

It just works - that’s the road I’m traveling on in the near term!

We don't say "clown show". We are not supposed to talk politics here. :):)

I would be happy with one decent Insteon device this decade/century/millennia. An Insteon load meter that could be used for device activation sensing...and with capacitors costing more than 0.00043 cents each.

Good Engineers must be hard to get these days!  Myopic Accountants must be cheap. :)  :)

Archived