Philips Hue Outdoor Appear

Ajax

Guys not sure where to ask online, but we are doing a new construction (#5) and doing Insteon for the 2nd time. This time I would like to add Philips hue lights especially the model "Appear" but cannot find a place to purchase them. Anyone have a source that carries them? Over in Europe they have plenty of stock but not the USA. I contacted Hue and they were no help. Ebay as them for double the cost but I need 11 so I am not willing to pay that.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.3973ab468e81e7fa1a0322224cc5e18e.png

You may want to get a single unit to try it first.  Unless you have a second source of brighter lighting it will be very dark in your room.

I outfitted one new house with sconce style lights and that room was always too dark with 6 x 100 watt bulbs in them. The colours shining down the wall would make a really cool effect and best usage of coloured lighting though. Shooting coloured flood into the air is a waste of money. The colours are never obvious unless they light something up.

Get an extra unit. I had one Philips Hue bulb burn out on me and Philips constantly drops styles and introduces new ones. LEDs and electronics do not last very long if they are  encased.

On meethue.com they show up as "Available soon".   I don't think the US version has been released as yet.   (Products "Temporarily Out of Stock" appear differently.)

Be careful of the ebay version, it may well me the EU product expecting EU voltages, but then again many LED drivers accept 100-240V input these days meaning they work on either voltage system.

2 hours ago, MrBill said:

On meethue.com they show up as "Available soon".   I don't think the US version has been released as yet.   (Products "Temporarily Out of Stock" appear differently.)

Be careful of the ebay version, it may well me the EU product expecting EU voltages, but then again many LED drivers accept 100-240V input these days meaning they work on either voltage system.

Great! They must have just changed that bc it use to say out of stock. I think they must have had one smaller production run and sold them out. Bc Homedepot, bestbuy etc. all had them for sale with reviews and comments.

21 hours ago, Ajax said:

Guys not sure where to ask online, but we are doing a new construction (#5) and doing Insteon for the 2nd time. This time I would like to add Philips hue lights especially the model "Appear" but cannot find a place to purchase them. Anyone have a source that carries them? Over in Europe they have plenty of stock but not the USA. I contacted Hue and they were no help. Ebay as them for double the cost but I need 11 so I am not willing to pay that.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.3973ab468e81e7fa1a0322224cc5e18e.png

In case I'm missing the obvious how come you can't just install their A19 colored smart bulbs?!? I've been doing something very similar to this product for more than two years now as part of a Beta program. There's probably 3~5 third party companies that make this style of light fixture.

@Teken I was starting to think that might be the way I will end up going but when you do the math most wall sconces cost between $80-$250 a piece plus X2 hue bulbs at ~$30 a piece. You are looking at $150 for a unit minimum, and then I have to make sure it is waterproof etc for the hue bulbs. The Appear just looked like an easier choice at $139. 

But maybe at the end that is what will happen. I still dont need them for 3 months. But I cannot figure out what mouting it uses for installing the correct electrical box. If I can figure that out,I can wait. My asumption is that its a standard box but I dont like to assume.

31 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Teken I was starting to think that might be the way I will end up going but when you do the math most wall sconces cost between $80-$250 a piece plus X2 hue bulbs at ~$30 a piece. You are looking at $150 for a unit minimum, and then I have to make sure it is waterproof etc for the hue bulbs. The Appear just looked like an easier choice at $139. 

But maybe at the end that is what will happen. I still dont need them for 3 months. But I cannot figure out what mouting it uses for installing the correct electrical box. If I can figure that out,I can wait. My asumption is that its a standard box but I dont like to assume.

Given the photo in their Advert the sconces are mounted to a standard electrical box. Anything sold in North America would conform to this basic lighting standard. If you're able to find a similar style of fixture for around $45-55.00 it pencils out in terms of going the DIY route. If you break $85.00 per fixture it really comes down to if that investment is really important to you.

I'll snap a quick photo later tonight to give you an idea of a real world install . . . 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

But I cannot figure out what mouting it uses for installing the correct electrical box.

They should mount on standard 4" round.  Rectangular single gang boxes are not intended for fixture mounting.  There is a smaller round, but it's hard to find and not often used.

I had to italicize should tho for the same reason you have to wonder out loud, I don't like to assume either.

Archived