You guys up north of the border, had a well kept secret

Mustang65

I just happened to click on this link as I am always interested in history and I was amazed at what I learned about Canadian aerospace achievements. Very interesting! A GREAT read!
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200615-the-record-breaking-jet-which-still-haunts-a-country?utm_source=pocket-newtab

AVRO.thumb.jpg.e1bfc8d33dff11c402f1d345c2cbc8bb.jpg

Truly a sad day when the project and technology got shelved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
44 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Shelved? All the what? 6 planes? were scrapped into junk.

Actually according to the article, the UK somehow is believed to have flown one out the day after it was announced that the project was dead. They did say that one was missing.

2 hours ago, Mustang65 said:

Actually according to the article, the UK somehow is believed to have flown one out the day after it was announced that the project was dead. They did say that one was missing.

I remember hearing that way back...that one was preserved somehow. It was a little mysterious somehow but the details elude me.

I have heard rumours about various parts of the design team, that some became teachers at a local (to me) community college her and some went to NASA and contributed to the lunar landing video  creation at Disneyland. :):)
...speaking of which, when we now hear the dates involved, there was no existence of calculators or even microprocessors then. Think about landing calculations, including complex 3D trig on a slide rule. geeesh!

I was very polished on a slide rule back then, but trig functions? Good luck with even 2 digits of accuracy.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I remember hearing that way back...that one was preserved somehow. It was a little mysterious somehow but the details elude me.

I have heard rumours about various parts of the design team, that some became teachers at a local (to me) community college her and some went to NASA and contributed to the lunar landing video  creation at Disneyland. :):)
...speaking of which, when we now hear the dates involved, there was no existence of calculators or even microprocessors then. Think about landing calculations, including complex 3D trig on a slide rule. geeesh!

I was very polished on a slide rule back then, but trig functions? Good luck with even 2 digits of accuracy.

Used a Post Versalog back while attending DeVry Tech for Electronics. Wow, still works.

POST VERSALOG.jpg

Used a Post Versalog back while attending DeVry Tech for Electronics. Wow, still works.

547586377_POSTVERSALOG.thumb.jpg.d87ef261f4f84f0048656abe999b74d8.jpg
My dad had one like that from the early fourties in UoT. I always envied the thing. His looked like the same but had S&E on it or something similar.

He gave me a round one that was awesome. About 3.5 inches in diameter and that made the outer scale very long.
The coolest thing about that was the scales looped around so you never had to precursor to the other end.
I think a teacher in elementary school confiscated it from me for playing with it in class. Grrrrrrrr....

Sent using Tapatalk

Archived