Are secondary switches "equal" or "eq"?

lhranch

Say I have a load switch A for a device, and several other switches in the home (e.g., on keypads) that do nothing but control that device remotely.

Say I want to write a program that does something special when I (for example) do a Fast On for that device.

Do I have to write, "If control A is Fast On, or control B is Fast On, or control C is Fast On...", or is it enough to write "if control A is Fast On" on the theory that the action of all the other switches is ultimately to set A itself to Fast On?

5 hours ago, lhranch said:

Say I want to write a program that does something special when I (for example) do a Fast On for that device.

When you "do" a fast on???  What does that mean?  The answer to your question will depend on whether you want to respond to manual action (fast double-tap) or whether you want to respond to a device being turned "fast on" indirectly, such as being part of a scene or program response.

"If control A is Fast On" will only trigger a program when A is acted upon manually.  If you want the same thing to happen when B and C are acted upon manually, you would need to include those switches as well.

7 hours ago, lhranch said:

Say I have a load switch A for a device, and several other switches in the home (e.g., on keypads) that do nothing but control that device remotely.

Do I have to write, "If control A is Fast On, or control B is Fast On, or control C is Fast On...", or is it enough to write "if control A is Fast On" on the theory that the action of all the other switches is ultimately to set A itself to Fast On?

Each button needs its own fast on program unless the action will be the same for each button press.

In order to make sure it works properly, Those buttons cannot be controllers in the scene itself. They can be responders so that their status will be correct whenever a button is pressed.

20 hours ago, oberkc said:

When you "do" a fast on???  What does that mean?  The answer to your question will depend on whether you want to respond to manual action (fast double-tap)

Yes, that.

17 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Each button needs its own fast on program unless the action will be the same for each button press.

In order to make sure it works properly, Those buttons cannot be controllers in the scene itself. They can be responders so that their status will be correct whenever a button is pressed.

The last paragraph just confuses the heck out of me. I want every one of these "mirror" buttons to do exactly the same thing as the main button, they are just available in different locations. The only way I have found to associate a button with a scene in the admin console is to drag the button and drop it onto the scene (I literally have found no other way to do this). Doing this always makes the button a controller, and I can't change it.

What I want to do here: I have a set of outdoor lights that by default work automatically in conjunction with a motion detector. (This is done via an ISY program, not by physically associating the detector and the lights.)  However, when any manual commands are given to that light, through any of the buttons associated with it in several locations, I want the automatic operation suspended (a state variable set).  Automatic operation will not be resumed until a "Fast Off" is tapped for the light.

I've had this code working reasonably well for a couple years. I recently wanted to program a new remote for this light, and was wondering if I had to change the program every time I did this, or whether just looking for events at the physical load controller would be sufficient. From the answers here, it looks like I have to code for all the buttons. But the whole responder/controller issue is a monkey wrench that I don't understand.

2 hours ago, lhranch said:

The last paragraph just confuses the heck out of me. I want every one of these "mirror" buttons to do exactly the same thing as the main button, they are just available in different locations. The only way I have found to associate a button with a scene in the admin console is to drag the button and drop it onto the scene (I literally have found no other way to do this). Doing this always makes the button a controller, and I can't change it.

I did not quite follow this either, but I did not try too hard.  

First, there is another way to add devices to scenes: right-click>>>add to scene.  Regardless of which way you create and add device to scenes, I thought it resulted in a dialog box that gave you the opportunity to decide whether to add as a controller or responder.

To do what you describe, I would think that you would want to create a scene with all switches/remotes as controller.  Then, for those switches that you want to use fast-on as a trigger to suspend motion response, each would need to be an individual condition in the program, as you say.

7 hours ago, lhranch said:

Yes, that.

What I want to do here: I have a set of outdoor lights that by default work automatically in conjunction with a motion detector. (This is done via an ISY program, not by physically associating the detector and the lights.)  However, when any manual commands are given to that light, through any of the buttons associated with it in several locations, I want the automatic operation suspended (a state variable set).  Automatic operation will not be resumed until a "Fast Off" is tapped for the light.

I've had this code working reasonably well for a couple years. I recently wanted to program a new remote for this light, and was wondering if I had to change the program every time I did this, or whether just looking for events at the physical load controller would be sufficient. From the answers here, it looks like I have to code for all the buttons. But the whole responder/controller issue is a monkey wrench that I don't understand.

Originally you said a fast on which changes the dynamics of how things would work. The added detail helps alot.

When a controller is linked to a responder, a fast on will cause all linked devices to go immediately on at full brightness. The will override any ramp rates, dim levels, or devices that should turn off when the scene is triggered. If none of that is an issue then you can leave your device as a controller in the scene. If you want to have some light turn on at a specific ramp rate or dim level and/or turn off when a scene is triggered; you are better off, separating the controllers from the scene.

For example, my bedroom lamps are controlled from 3 different locations. I have a scene created where all 3 are controllers of each other. I have a separate scene created that turns off lights that I don't want on when the lamps are on. In the evening a single tap will turn the lamps to full brightness and turn my responder scene off while a dbl tap will turn them to half brightness and turn off my responder scene. After 10, this reverses itself. 

Since you only want something to happen with a fast off simply program a fast off to do what you want. In this case, the use of "or"  for each controller would be sufficient in a single program. 

Then, for those switches that you want to use fast-[off] as a trigger to suspend motion response, each would need to be an individual condition in the program, as you say.

I had a thought while trying to wrangle this light last night... the program didn't seem to work properly if I turned the light off using MobiLinc Pro on my phone, or the ISY Admin Console, possibly because those apps don't match any of the physical buttons that were conditions in the program.

Is there a syntax that allows me to include apps and the AC, and not just physical buttons?

12 hours ago, lhranch said:

Is there a syntax that allows me to include apps and the AC, and not just physical buttons?

Using Status it will trigger whenever the status reaches the proper value.

But there is no Fast On for a status.   If you are trigger from an app/AC/Alexa/etc, trigger the program (or trigger another program that calls this program).  Or set a variable that will call this program.  Since you are in the land of software triggers, there are a number of things you can do.

Archived