6-Button keypadlinc - using without a load

I have a 6-button Keypadlinc in a tabletop enclosure. It is not connected to a load. In order to be able to use it as a 6-botton controller for a non-load device, I converted it to an 8-button controller but with the 6-button overlay. I am able to turn off/on the responder (a plug-in module) as expected.  What I need help with is lighting the "On" (A and B buttons when  only on and the "Off" (G and H) when only off. What am I doing wrong?

Switch ON, non-toggle ON
Switch OFF, non-toggle OFF265777669_Screenshot_20201026-030924_RemoteDesktop.jpg.d51c8ead13e9c1eff591af425608f4b4.jpg

Screenshot_20201026-030316_Remote Desktop.jpg

I was wondering the same thing as lilyoyo1.  

To attempt to answer your question...I, too, am a little puzzled why this would not work.  Are your keypad buttons in non-toggle mode?  

If this were me, I would attempt to isolate the problem.  If you manually run the program (THEN and ELSE path) does the keypad respond as expected?  If you toggle the buttons, does the ISY reflect the correct status for "master bedroom nightstand"?  Is your program disabled?

2 hours ago, oberkc said:

I was wondering the same thing as lilyoyo1.  

To attempt to answer your question...I, too, am a little puzzled why this would not work.  Are your keypad buttons in non-toggle mode?  

If this were me, I would attempt to isolate the problem.  If you manually run the program (THEN and ELSE path) does the keypad respond as expected?  If you toggle the buttons, does the ISY reflect the correct status for "master bedroom nightstand"?  Is your program disabled?

He's using the on in non toggle-on and off in non toggle-off so the lights will stay on/off which is wrong to do from the start as that will override his programming. 

He needs to delete the device, factory reset it back to 6 button and re-add it to the isy.

At that point link the lamp module to the main button and it will work as desired. He's complicated a normal task

Thanks for everyone's help!

I suspected the "non-toggle" part. So, my understanding now is that one can manipulate the LEDs for a non-toggle-ON (as done in the Garagelinc wiki instructions) but one cannot manipulate the LEDs for non-toggle-OFF. For the OFF, it's akin to trying to operate a plug-in when it has been unplugged. 

I went to 8-buttons because of a thread I read elsewhere here. If I understand the 6-button KPL correctly, it's listed as 5 buttons in ISY with first node being to control off/on of my plugin and, internally to the KPL, operation is split between the two buttons. I'm assuming that the LEDs will work as expected. 

Hopefully, I'm understanding all of this.

I feel much better using ISY than the HUB only being in it for less than a month. The HUB could be confusing and overly restrictive at times. The learning curve for the ISY wasn't as steep as it initially appeared and it really makes it easy to see relationships. 

I just getting impatient since I want to explore so many of the other capabilities!

7 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

He's using the on in non toggle-on and off in non toggle-off

And you came to understand that how?  (I did not see this stated anywhere.  Edit: never mind.  I now see this.)

2 hours ago, TKopke said:

If I understand the 6-button KPL correctly, it's listed as 5 buttons in ISY with first node being to control off/on of my plugin and, internally to the KPL, operation is split between the two buttons. I'm assuming that the LEDs will work as expected. 

This sounds correct to me.  Like lilyoyo1, I would convert it back to 6-button and link the primary node to your lamplinc.  I see nothing in your stated desires that makes me think this is not the optimum solution.

2 hours ago, TKopke said:

I suspected the "non-toggle" part. So, my understanding now is that one can manipulate the LEDs for a non-toggle-ON (as done in the Garagelinc wiki instructions) but one cannot manipulate the LEDs for non-toggle-OFF. For the OFF, it's akin to trying to operate a plug-in when it has been unplugged.

I think non-toggle OFF mode has been eliminated from some of the newer keypads.  Also, I am not sure that I am following that last sentence.

Regardless, if you insist upon keeping it in eight-button mode for reasons that I am not fathoming, I do not believe you would require non-toggle-off mode.  Buttons A, B, G, and H should all be in non-toggle-ON mode.  The lamplinc response levels for buttons A and B would be whatever brightness constitutes ON.  The response levels for buttons G and H would be zero.  

Also, you would need to determine why your programs are not working.  I offered some suggestions and questions earlier, but you did not answer them.

Sorry for not being clear. I opted to revert to the 6-button mode and all is working now as expected. I can't believe how difficult I made this out to be! I originally went to 8-button because of an erroneous understanding of how the KPL worked with regards to the LEDs. It was the non-toggle-OFF that caused what I had not to work - the OFF button LEDs would never illuminate. With a button in non-toggle-OFF mode, I wondered if the button LED could be configured to illuminate suggesting the button was "on." I now know it can't or, at least, not easily. I had it working in 6-b mode when I had the Insteon Hub but when my second one began to fail, I got an ISY primarily because of the ability to make backups. I did some things on the hub not really understanding how they worked. I'm barely a month with the ISY along with integration with the Echo and already understand more than I ever did using the hub.

The hard stuff is easy. It's the simple stuff that gets me everytime.

Again, thanks for your help.

11 hours ago, TKopke said:

It was the non-toggle-OFF that caused what I had not to work - the OFF button LEDs would never illuminate. With a button in non-toggle-OFF mode, I wondered if the button LED could be configured to illuminate suggesting the button was "on."

I have non-toggle off buttons that I turn on with a program.  As far as I understand, the non-toggle mode is only applicable when physically pressed.  Otherwise, such buttons can be controlled remotely as can any other button.  I wonder if a longer wait would have worked.

Archived