Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

21 hours ago, grumpy said:

Dead link.... strange... I'm on the two sites right now. I can order using Paypal.

mystery solved.   After this statement I turned off AdGuard and tried.... Apparently X10.com is being blocked by one of the lists I'm using.  

16 hours ago, Techman said:

Not sure what a "half link" is.

those of us who link with an ISY don't use the term often because the ISY adds links to all devices that need them when creating a scene.  

However what "half link" refers to is that links are one way, and when manually linking if the link has only been created in one direction it's considered a "half link", it would probably be better to use "half linked" but in English we tend to turn things into slang expressions.  

Consider the most basic link... 2 switches to make a 3-way.   First you put Switch A into linking mode, then you go to switch B and tap the set button to create the link in that direction.  then back to Switch A to take it out of linking mode.  We are now "half linked"... then we move to Switch B and put it in linking mode, and back to switch A to link it, then back to switch B to take it out of linking mode.  Now we are "fully linked".

On 11/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, jimg said:

Does anyone else get the sense that Insteon is being discontinued by Smarthome?

They no longer offer the toggle-style wall switches. They no longer offer the micro modules (confirmed by telephone). The 6-button keypads are only available in limited colors. The 2413S powerline modem -- which is a KEY COMPONENT for home automation with the ISY series of controllers -- is no longer available.

So it seems that fewer and fewer Insteon products are available. I don't think it's a temporary stock-out situation based on a phone call to Smarthome, but I could have gotten the wrong impression.

Not that I really care because I only have about a hundred Insteon devices and three ISY controllers in two homes, representing an Insteon investment of thousands of dollars over ten years. ?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Wish I would've seen your post back in 11/2020. I noticed the out of stock on a few items but thought nothing of it as being in IT i was seeing a ton of out of stock messages but your message probably would've got me to buy a few more spares :-)  I've got Insteon installed at two homes using ISYs and many Insteon devices. Started using Zwave for new devices but it'll take me years to do a total replacement. Have one PLM on the shelf so hopefully I'm good for awhile. It'll be sad if no one is able to pick up Insteon and at least continue to manufacture the more popular devices. When I moved from X10 to Insteon my home automation success increased tremendously. Hate to see Insteon go away.

Archived