Fix single link in a device table?

mozman

Is there anyway to have the ISY restore just a single link in a device?

I have a device with 94 links (KPL). It was not functioning correctly, so I used the Tools/Diagnostics/Show Device Links command to verify its link table. Sure enough, there were a few bad links. (I re-tried the command polling just these addresses to make sure the problem was not caused by a bad read of the device links.) Since I had link errors, I used "Restore Device" to restore the links. Just to be sure, I used Tools/Diagnostics/Show Device Links again to verify that all the links were correct, but now just a single solitary link was bad. Is there any option but to have the ISY crank for another 15 minutes rewriting the entire set of 94 links?

BTW, I use the "Compare" button on the Device Links Table (created by the Show Device Links command). "Compare" seems to have a bug in it - it often lists many of the Device Links as "Extra Record", even though the links are valid and correct. All of the incorrectly categorized links are at the end of the table, although the address at which they begin sometimes varies when I re-hit the "Compare" button.

With many thanks,

Moz

Hi Moz,

Unfortunately no! The main question for me is why is there a bad link in the KPL? Did you have any communications errors during restore?

As far as the extra links, the reason they are there is because the device has not been defragmented. Although having extra records does not pose any problems but a restore SHOULD clear all the extra records.

With kind regards,

Michel

Is there anyway to have the ISY restore just a single link in a device?

I have a device with 94 links (KPL). It was not functioning correctly, so I used the Tools/Diagnostics/Show Device Links command to verify its link table. Sure enough, there were a few bad links. (I re-tried the command polling just these addresses to make sure the problem was not caused by a bad read of the device links.) Since I had link errors, I used "Restore Device" to restore the links. Just to be sure, I used Tools/Diagnostics/Show Device Links again to verify that all the links were correct, but now just a single solitary link was bad. Is there any option but to have the ISY crank for another 15 minutes rewriting the entire set of 94 links?

BTW, I use the "Compare" button on the Device Links Table (created by the Show Device Links command). "Compare" seems to have a bug in it - it often lists many of the Device Links as "Extra Record", even though the links are valid and correct. All of the incorrectly categorized links are at the end of the table, although the address at which they begin sometimes varies when I re-hit the "Compare" button.

With many thanks,

Moz

I have also seen the Extra Record Message.

I had one module show almost all of the records where Extra and I did a compare a second time and it said all records matched.

Both the ISY Link Table records tab and the devices records tab matched line for line and I still got the Extra Record indication. Restore the device and the same thing shows up. Extra Record between the Device Link Table and the ISY Link Table. Again line for line the same.

No I am not talking about the line with all 0's as that is the first open table entry for the device.

Michel,

The "Extra Records" indications are not occurring because of fragmentation. These erroneous indications occur even after Restoring Device, and when I verify by (tedious!) manual inspection that the link table is fine.

The Extra Record indications, when they occur, are always for a group of records at the end of the link table (but still before the end of file record beginning with "00"). Furthermore, the exact starting point of the incorrect Extra Record indications sometimes changes if I immediately hit the Compare button again. I have noticed that the bogus Extra Record shows up only on devices with many links (> 30?).

I saved screen shots of the Device Links Table window, one of which shows Identical for all records, and one of which shows Extra Record for the last 40 or so records. All I did was re-hit the Compare button. I don't know how to post GIF images to this forum; if you would like to see them, let me know (how to post here or if I should email them to you.

Finally, as for the reason for random bad links, I think they are caused by communication errors. My Insteon communication reliability is > 99%, but not > 99.99%, so with several thousand links in all of the KPLs around the house, a few are incorrect. FYI, I saw nothing in the event viewer window which indicated a problem during the Restore Device - I saw the expected "Device xx.xx.xx Restored" message at the end of the restore.

Now that you mentioned it.

My Extra Record is the one proceeding the line of 0's.

Also mine has changed with a second compare if more than one line is marked as an Extra Record. The second compare then only shows the last one.

This also was happening to me in older revisions and it didn't start with 2.7.6

Archived