HTTP error 400 : Device cannot be added to the spoken database

JFrary01

I always get this message when I try to add a KASA or WEMO node server node to the Amazon Alexa connectivity.  I've tried switching device types to "light", "switch", "outlet", etc. but always get the same error.  Anybody know how to fix this?

nodeservers are on Polisy

ISY is 5.0.16

Just occurred to me that since the KASA and Wemo apps have provision for names, and are linked to Alexa, the nodes can be controlled using the names set in the apps., obviating the need for ISY spokens.

Still would nice to be able to manage all spokens through ISY.

Shall I still open a ticket?

@jmfa If you wanted everything controlled through the ISY you should disable the brand specific skills and then only have the ISY smart home skill enabled and manage the spoken through the ISY Portal link.

Based on what you're saying it suggests that you have Echo KASA and Wemo skills enabled and account linked for those specific devices. If you unlink and disable the brand specific skills you could then rely on the ISY Portal spoken names.  Just be sure those devices are actually added to Echo through the ISY Skill. There's a little more setup by using the ISY, but if you're wanting ISY Skill to manage the spoken this would work.

You would still be able to use the brand specific apps on mobile devices. This suggestion only impacts the skills used on the Echo devices. 

On 1/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, Geddy said:

@jmfa If you wanted everything controlled through the ISY you should disable the brand specific skills and then only have the ISY smart home skill enabled and manage the spoken through the ISY Portal link.

Based on what you're saying it suggests that you have Echo KASA and Wemo skills enabled and account linked for those specific devices. If you unlink and disable the brand specific skills you could then rely on the ISY Portal spoken names.  Just be sure those devices are actually added to Echo through the ISY Skill. There's a little more setup by using the ISY, but if you're wanting ISY Skill to manage the spoken this would work.

You would still be able to use the brand specific apps on mobile devices. This suggestion only impacts the skills used on the Echo devices. 

Thanks.  Sounds like that should work, but:

I disable the Alexa skills for both Wemo and Kasa applications, but same results.

Then I wait about 24 hours, reboot, restart everything, same results.

Then I uninstall and delete both nodeservers from Polisy, delete all Wemo and Kasa devices from ISY, reboot and restart everything, same results.

I ask Alexa to discover devices; she finds one Wemo device, but I still can't add a spoken for that device.

I still must be missing a step, or there is some other issue.  So, I'll open a ticket.

6 minutes ago, jmfa said:

Thanks.  Sounds like that should work, but:

I disable the Alexa skills for both Wemo and Kasa applications, but same results.

Then I wait about 24 hours, reboot, restart everything, same results.

Then I uninstall and delete both nodeservers from Polisy, delete all Wemo and Kasa devices from ISY, reboot and restart everything, same results.

I ask Alexa to discover devices; she finds one Wemo device, but I still can't add a spoken for that device.

I still must be missing a step, or there is some other issue.  So, I'll open a ticket.

You don't have to remove the nodeserver and such.

1. Make sure the node you want is in the Admin Console and working (you can see the status, and you can control it)

2. Go to ISY Portal, in the ISY Tab, Select Tools | Connectivity | Alexa

Make sure the devices you want to control with Alexa are here. If you had them there before and removed them from the admin console and recreated them, they may have a different node address. If you are not sure, then remove them and re-add them. Them, ask Alexa to discover devices. 

Whenever you discover devices, and the Alexa skill is enabled, the Alexa nodes are picked up from there.

You may also want to check "My Profile", at the top right of the screen. Check the "Amazon Echo and Google Home ISY". Either you leave it to "Use all ISYs in the account", or else make sure your preferred ISY has the correct uuid.

Benoit

On 1/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, Geddy said:

Just to close the loop on this:

I did all as Geddy suggested, however I then needed to open a ticket and Benoit discovered that the nodes added by each nodeserver added them with default "type" of 0.0.0.0.  Benoit had me change the type to 2.0.0.0 using the "hint editor" in the portal under connectivity.  I was then able to add "spokens" for each device and then Alexa was able to discover them.  Thanks, all.

@jmfa

Neat. Glad that worked out. Wasn't sure about the node side of things as I haven't started using those yet. 

Final note - I've found it's usually quicker to check what Alexa/Echo sees for spoken option on the website rather than the isy portal or Alexa app.

Check it out here:  https://alexa.amazon.com/

Smart Home -> Devices 

It's also quicker to delete them here and then have Alexa re-discover devices. 

Archived