Setting up EZSnsRF Wireless Receiver

kcrossley

I'm trying to setup an Insteon EZSnsRF Wireless Receiver with a Dakota IR-3000 Wireless PIR Sensor and I can't get it to work. I went through the Universal Devices linking instructions and apparently the two devices are connected, but when I added the EZSnsRF to a scene it was automatically added as a RESPONDER, not a CONTROLLER. Also, MY-ISY will not show the state of the device.

Basically, all I want to do is have the Dakota IR-3000 activate the EZSnsRF so that it activates my front porch lights, which are controlled by an Insteon switch. BTW, the labels on the back of the EZSnsRF underneath of the Insteon code says 2607Rev 1.3 FIRM 52. I'm also using these devices with an ISY-26 with v2.7 firmware.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kelly

Okay, I finally got the EZSndRF to report it's current state. Basically, if you activate the sensor the state changes to ON, but then immediate changes back to OFF. How can I set this up so it activates my front porch lights controlled by an Insteon switch?

By the way, I just upgraded my ISY-26 to Firmware v2.7.6. Thanks for taking the security off the download Michel. :D

I finally got it working, but instead of using a SCENE I had to use a PROGRAM. Now, whenever the IR-3000 detects motion it turns on (2) outside and (1) inside light and sends a text message to my cell phone.

The only problem I'm having now is I'm getting (2-3) text message alerts, even though I only requsted (1). I checked my text message configuration and my cell phone was only listed once, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Why is this happening?

Hi guys,

I just checked the code and ISY should consider EZSnSRF as a controller UNLESS (and I won't doubt it for a second) EZSnSRF now has a different dev cat and sub cat. If any of you can send me your dev cat/sub cats then I can update the code.

With kind regards,

Michel

I also have an EzSnsRf, that is added as a responder, it is color coded blue not red; I can't add it to any scenes as a controller, and is not already a controller for any scenes.

Thanks,

Nick

Michel,

Are you sure you have the "Add Sensor to EZSnSRF right? Everything works fine until Step 5. Once I do that the EZSnSRF goes back into sensor detection mode. Nick, how are you linking your sensor?

Thanks,

Kelly

I added my EzSnsRf to ISY around a year ago, using the Add Sensor to EzSnsRf method. I can't remember the exact steps, just that it took a couple of tries; I believe after linking to ISY, the EzSnsRf is still waiting for a timeout to be set but it is already linked.

Yes I have been using programs, recently I tried to add EzSnsRf to a scene to find it was only a responder; Yet I remember linking it as a controller in the distant past; Maybe something happened in one of the firmware updates.

On a side note I am also getting a lot of communication errors with the device, just with normal operation not when editing links; but query seems to do nothing, and I don't know why ISY would try sending commands to it.

-Nick

On a side note I am also getting a lot of communication errors with the device, just with normal operation not when editing links; but query seems to do nothing, and I don't know why ISY would try sending commands to it.

-Nick

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I set it up last night and it was pretty solid. Tonight the sensor only triggered the EZSnsRF about 60-70% of the time. BTW, we your sensor triggers the EZSnsRF does the state go ON and OFF real quickly or does it stay ON?

I added my EzSnsRf to ISY around a year ago, using the Add Sensor to EzSnsRf method. I can't remember the exact steps, just that it took a couple of tries; I believe after linking to ISY, the EzSnsRf is still waiting for a timeout to be set but it is already linked.

-Nick

Yes, I think something is wrong with the instructions. I couldn't get past Step 4. I tried holding the button but then it went back into link mode. By the way, what firmware version do you have on your EZSnsRF? If you updated it, how did you do that?

I should have added, even though I am getting communication errors, my programs are triggering reliably, at least 95% if not 99% of the time.

One exception, is when I had a motion sensor triggering right before my driveway sensor, causing colliding signals to be lost.

Mine goes ON and OFF real quickly, at least with the I/OLinc and driveway sensor, not sure about the motion sensor. I tried setting a delay but my firmware has a bug causing it to lock up with a delay set.

I don't know the firmware offhand, and can't check right now.

The only way to upgrade the firmware it to send it back to SimpleHomeNet, I done this once when I first received it last year; I had lockup problems, probably the delay bug that wasn't discovered till later, and I didn't re-set a delay on the replacement unit until recently.

On adding if you already had another sensor added make sure the code is different, that caused me problems. I found that triggering my new sensor triggered a device already added in ISY.

-Nick

Nick and Kelly,

Found the issue ... it was a bug in the GUI which is fixed and should be available shortly (in 2.7.7). This is the one relating to the node being added as a responder.

As far as linking this device, the only thing I can tell you is that it worked perfectly when we added support for it almost 1.5 years ago. I am not sure how it works with the current EZSnSRF firmware.

With kind regards,

Michel

BTW, does anyone know how many IR-3000's you can use with one EZSnsRF Receivers?

Simplehomenet's Specifications tab for the EZSnRF says twenty devices and a total of 256 links.

The Simplehomenet Utility Suite V1.81 also shows twenty codes to pick from.

Not sure if anything has changed since they published the specifications.

Found the issue ... it was a bug in the GUI which is fixed and should be available shortly (in 2.7.7). This is the one relating to the node being added as a responder.

Yep, that's the problem. I spoke with SimpleHomeNet tech support and they confirmed that the device needs to be added as a controller. Once 2.7.7 is out is it better to setup this device as a Scene or a Program?

Hi kcrossly,

It's always best to take advantage of INSTEON protocol where possible. As such, my recommendation is to use a scene.

With kind regards,

Michel

Yep, that's the problem. I spoke with SimpleHomeNet tech support and they confirmed that the device needs to be added as a controller. Once 2.7.7 is out is it better to setup this device as a Scene or a Program?

Archived