Required OS Version for Smarthome Devices 2844-222 and

lonebullnuke

My ISY 994i is running version 4.8.0. I do not have the Z wave module so there has been no need to update to a later OS version. I purchsed Insteon motion detectors (2844-222) and an insteon siren (2868-222).  The ISY will not register these devices. Is a later version of the ISY OS required to integreate theses devices?  If so, what is the version required.  Where in the UDI WIKI is this documented. Thanks for any assistance.

Those devices are not supported in 4.8.0

Version 5.x.x supports them but you'll have to do some manual updating on programs and scenes.

Here's the info on the latest ISY firmware version. Be sure to read all the release notes notes before updating.

Release 5.3.0 is now available - Current Release, Betas, and Bug Reports - Universal Devices Forum (universal-devices.com)

Both the Insteon modules you posted on. Are not in any version 4 firmware.

Took quite awhile for my siren modules sitting in storage for version 5 to be released. As Smarthome dragged their feet on getting UDI needed information on both modules and the Alpha and Beta releases of 5 where tested.

I am using 5.0.16C as I have no need for any present ZWave card support.

The new MS II (2844-222) can be added to the 4.x firmware as if it were an older MS.  You will not get the newer features of the MS II (that most have indicated don't work well anyway) as the sensor will show up as if it were the older sensor type.

(At least the later versions of 4.x.  Not sure when it was first allowed, but definitely the current version 4 should work)

Edited by gzahar

My thanks to TechmanBrian H, and gzahar!

From your collective answers, I achieved my objective. In summary, without having to go thru the pain of an upgrade from OS 4.8.0 to 5.3.0, I was able to add needed (but not full functionality) - basic motion detected non dimmable light control of three lights using the insteon 2844-222 Motion detectors "scened" together with 2477SAL devices. I have elected to forego implementing the Insteon siren (2868-222) to avoid having to upgrade the OS above 4.8.0.

For anyone desiring to comment, I invite your perspective on the following:

I am considering upgrading my ISY 994i to Z-wave capability by purchasing the UDI upgrade add on daughter board and the associated portal subscription. Firstly, I acknowledge this total system upgrade will necessitate enduring the pains and vagaries of reworking the configurations of the existing 50+ populated Insteon devices in my system as extensively cataloged on this forum. The intended objective is to support addition of:

1. One Z-Wave siren (product recommendations and experience with same are hereby solicited)

2. One Z-wave door lock (likely a Schlage or Yale z-wave variety - product recommendations and experience with same are hereby solicited)

3. Implementation of Somfy based motorized shade control by means of a Somfy Z-Wave to RTS Plug-in Interface Wall Module ZRTSI - 1811265   Please provide any relevant comment on experience with this device functionality and reliability in a Z wave network controlled by a UDI ISY 994 z-wave capable controller.

I recognize that Z-wave functionality and reliability is highly dependent on local configuration of the Z wave mesh network and number of  deployed Z wave devices and that my above described upgrade may be inherently unreliable due to so few added Z wave devices supporting the mesh network, and which therefore require the addition of repeaters/extenders to improve mesh network coverage.

So, for those interested in this mental (at this point ) exercise, I would appreciate any/all comments as to whether this upgrade will be worth the trip when judged against the likely effort required to get it all working.  I enjoy tinkering by my patience is finite.

Thanks in advance to all for any/all comment and advice. I have monitored this forum for several years now and greatly respect the collective knowledge it brings to this technology.

Please cross-post this query if not in the right area of the forum.  Thank you!

Bill