upgrading ISY994i firmware

iowaj

I recently replaced the ISY994i and have it up and running. I have some switches though that are still not working and have tried all advice I've found through the forum. I have obtained replacement switches, but before installing I want to be sure the firmware on new ISY is updated. The ISY has v.4.8.0 and I see that v4.9.0 is available. I am using a Mac with java v8 update 281.  I have never been clear about how to update the firmware on the ISY and have searched for instructions but don't find them.  Can anyone here instruct me how to do that?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, iowaj said:

I recently replaced the ISY994i and have it up and running. I have some switches though that are still not working and have tried all advice I've found through the forum. I have obtained replacement switches, but before installing I want to be sure the firmware on new ISY is updated. The ISY has v.4.8.0 and I see that v4.9.0 is available. I am using a Mac with java v8 update 281.  I have never been clear about how to update the firmware on the ISY and have searched for instructions but don't find them.  Can anyone here instruct me how to do that?

Thanks!

Firmware updates with instructions can be found here.

Current Release, Betas, and Bug Reports - Universal Devices Forum (universal-devices.com)

57 minutes ago, iowaj said:

Thanks!

It's been awhile since I was on V4, but it seems like V4.x to V4.y there's a prompt at the top of the admin console window that says firmware update available--And then clicking that or, something on help would download the file and upgrade automatically.  I could be wrong it's been awhile and I don't see a page in the wiki showing that.

Upgrading 4 to 5 or 5 to 5, you definitely must download the file and use the "manual upgrade" option on the Admin Consoles Help menu.

Just now, MrBill said:

It's been awhile since I was on V4, but it seems like V4.x to V4.y there's a prompt at the top of the admin console window that says firmware update available--And then clicking that or, something on the 'help' menu would download the file and upgrade automatically.  I could be wrong it's been awhile and I don't see a page in the wiki showing that.

Upgrading 4 to 5 or 5 to 5, you definitely must download the file and use the "manual upgrade" option on the Admin Consoles Help menu.

• 1 month later...

My 7 year old ISY994i is having problems with the voice interface module - for a while I was able to fix the problem by unplugging power, popping out the SD card, popping it back in, and reconnecting power.  (I read about that trick in one of the forums here.)  Early this week the problem came back and the fix no longer worked - Alexa tells me it can't find the device/scene I want to turn on or off.  And I just tested it today and it is working again.

I ordered a new ISY994i when I had to do the temp fix the 3rd time, but I'd like to know if anybody can provide a step by step replacement process for setting up the new unit, restoring settings to it, and the order in which to register and deregister the old and new devices.

1 hour ago, DButchart said:

My 7 year old ISY994i is having problems with the voice interface module - for a while I was able to fix the problem by unplugging power, popping out the SD card, popping it back in, and reconnecting power.  (I read about that trick in one of the forums here.)  Early this week the problem came back and the fix no longer worked - Alexa tells me it can't find the device/scene I want to turn on or off.  And I just tested it today and it is working again.

I ordered a new ISY994i when I had to do the temp fix the 3rd time, but I'd like to know if anybody can provide a step by step replacement process for setting up the new unit, restoring settings to it, and the order in which to register and deregister the old and new devices.

did you try replacing the SD card? https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing/Formatting_an_SD_Card

as far as step by step, it depends?  what firmware version are you on now? and what do you want to be on V4.x or V5.x?  do you have z-wave?  Insteon?

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, DButchart said:

Sorry for the delay - I tried formatting a 16 GB SD card.  That was successful, but now I need to figure out the default password again.  Got to dig out initial setup instructions, if they survived our recent move.  ?

If you formatted the SD card the default is user admin and password  admin

Upon logging in you must reinstall firmware 5.3.0 and THEN restore your backup.

Yeah - I found the quick start instructions and got the defaults.  Formatted a 16 GB SD card and restored my backup using the pointer you showed me.  The web interface worked fine, but I still had a problem getting the voice commands for the Alexa ISY skill to work.

So I fired up the new 994i box, restored my backup to that, and, after a bit of struggle, updated the information in the ISY Portal with the new uuid and got the box on-line.  I then recreated the voice commands for Alexa and tested them.  So far, so good.

This morning though, the 994i works via the Administrative Console, but has gone off-line for the Alexa skill.  Going to Configuration -> Portals shows the portal is registered but off-line.  Trying File -> Enable Internet Access gets me a error pop-up "Failed Enabling Internet Access".  Trying to revoke and reattach in the Portal Integration window gets me "Bad Request"  Checking the error log didn't help - I guess I need to open a ticket for UD to interpret.

Thoughts?  I originally set this up quite a while back, so I may have forgotten a crucial step somewhere

Archived