Insteon Smoke Bridge

Techman

Smarthome dropped the price of the First Alert Smoke Bridge from $34.99 to $19.99 and now showing it as SOLD OUT, possibly an indication that it was discontinued.  

S

The Smoke Bridge was listed at $19.99 since last year. Whether or not that hardware comes back is anyone’s guess!

From what I have seen in the past.

A significant price drop on an Insteon module. It was a poor selling model. Making it less likely to ever see the light of day again.

Though it may have been slated for an improved new module. That production schedules have been pandemic timing messed up. 

The problems I've seen have been the same old issues that persist today. Smartlabs doesn't iterate they just throw it out the door and see's if it will stick! ? What pains me and millions of others is generally speaking the initial hardware release is based on a sound principle. Yet, they won't iterate and upgrade the hardware to improve upon or iterate to solve known issues?!?

Even if its just firmware these lazy people simply won't push out a new release!

Given the market has released no less than three sound detecting smoke detectors which integrate with all the latest rage of technology such as Alexa / Google, IFTTT, etc. There was little reason to ever expect the Smoke Bridge to have a long market life! 

2 hours ago, xlurkr said:

I think I read somewhere that the newer models of the First Alert detectors don't work with the Smoke Bridge.  That might explain it. - no new compatible detectors available.

Yep, I bought one of the smoke bridges well over a year ago on sale and it really took me a long time to find 3 compatible first alert detectors. I am assuming first alert kept their next gen communications closed to their own products.  

7 minutes ago, LFMc said:

Yep, I bought one of the smoke bridges well over a year ago on sale and it really took me a long time to find 3 compatible first alert detectors. I am assuming first alert kept their next gen communications closed to their own products.  

The confusion began when First Alert decided to use the *One Link* branding to encompass all of their next generation of hardware. 

I've got 3 battery powered detectors that are compatible with the SB, and one AC powered one (demanded by code) that is not, but is still "One Link".  I think that the AC one will trigger the other ones, and maybe one of them will trigger the SB?  I'm afraid to test, because I live in a condo, and if all 4 of these go off at once, it better be a real fire.  Otherwise, there will definitely be a real home invasion and assault by one of my neighbors.

-Tom

On 4/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, Techman said:

Smarthome dropped the price of the First Alert Smoke Bridge from $34.99 to $19.99 and now showing it as SOLD OUT, possibly an indication that it was discontinued.

FWIW, SmartHome is showing the Smoke Bridge's in stock again at $19.99.

Archived