Everything posted by xlurkr
-
UDM States Update Available
On my two other automation controllers - Hubitat and Home Assistant Yellow - I get a notification on the dashboard that an update is available. It tells me what the new version is, its release date, what version I have, and has a link to the release notes and an automatic backup first option. I wish UDI had all these things. -Tom
-
Dumbing down to Insteon hub at vacation home
I have an Insteon hub, but I rarely use it. I got it when the only way to get the MS2s to work the way you want was to configure them on the hub, then use them with ISY. I also once had it controlling an ApplianceLInc full time - can't remember why, but I think it had something to do with the difficulty the ISY had in linking to them at some point. I controlled it only via Google voice commands so I didn't care where the brains resided. I've been paying the annual on the Insteon hub for the last 3 years or so despite its vestigial status. This is my hobby, so logic has nothing to do with it. It's capable enough for what the OP wants to use it for. But it uses phone apps for configuration and control, which has its own obsolescence issue should Insteon the company implode again. Not to mention the servers. Can't remember if it functions without phoning home once set up. I'd look into that. Also, whether you can use it with, say, Home Assistant with local control. That could be the fallback plan. I have a WinXP laptop and a Win8 Mac Mini for configuring various old pieces of hardware I still own and use. I can't be the only one here for whom that's true. If I were smarter I'd probably have virtual machines for these OSs on a single laptop, but I like the fact that the hardware (e.g. serial port, network adapter) is also of the correct vintage and real rather than virtual. Makes it more bulletproof. The 20 year old spinning disk platters, on the other hand... I plan to make sure I have something that can run Java until I've run eisy_ui for a couple of years. Or longer, since I'll forget, or be too lazy to get rid of it, or come up with an excuse for holding on to it. Until a pile of my "I might still need that!" stuff falls on me and takes me out. -Tom Oh, and @mikewu99, let me know if there's a screen you'd like me to capture, a feature you'd like me to check out, or a test you'd like me to run. I might as well offer my services since I've paid the annual. -Tom
-
Polisy upgrade from 5.9.1 - is it worth it?
OK, thanks. Will probably try this next week, after backing up first. -Tom
-
Polisy upgrade from 5.9.1 - is it worth it?
sudo pkg upgrade udx isy eisyui pg3x I just don't see how that would upgrade FreeBSD to 14.3p5. Maybe because it's a dependency for one of the packages? -Tom
-
Polisy upgrade from 5.9.1 - is it worth it?
This is me, too. Still on 5.91 and 14.1-RELEASE-p6. Let's say I do decide to upgrade. Do I start with the upgrade packages in the AC, then finish with the ssh commands? I don't think doing the latter only will upgrade FreeBSD. But maybe I'm wrong. -Tom
-
IoX 6.1.1 let's discuss it!
@Michel Kohanim That was the trick. I typed "sudo repo.util staging" and then repeated your "pkg upgrade ..." and it worked. It did not upgrade udx, which is on version 5.0.0. I hope that's correct. Also, please let me know if this repo.util command has any other side effects. I'm a total FreeBSD noob. -Tom
-
IoX 6.1.1 let's discuss it!
I get "No repositories are enabled." Context: attempting to upgrade on a Polisy. -Tom
-
IoX 6.1.1 let's discuss it!
I'm sure you meant "touted", but I agree and am in the same boat. @Michel Kohanim perhaps you could at some point let us active Polisy users know if the current exclusion is temporary or permanent. And maybe also if you are willing to let us in on the discount deal being offered to 994 users, since some of us have actually invested in more generations of your products than those who are still on 994s. -Tom
-
IoX 6.1.1 let's discuss it!
@Guy Lavoie Thanks for the tip! Will add it to my box o' tricks. -Tom
-
IoX 6.1.1 let's discuss it!
@Guy Lavoie Thanks for trying. I tried on my Polisy, too, and it didn't appear to do anything, but I didn't know how to check status. Where is this upgrade log file located? -Tom
-
Homelink with Android
...or if the GDO has a wired button for the wall, across its hardware switch (I've done this myself, but via Lutron, not Insteon). Either approach will probably require soldering wires to the pads on the circuit board, though. Or alligator clips if you're lucky and there are accessible leads on the button/switch (not likely these days). -Tom
-
new eISY, anyway to extend license?
Or if it doesn't happen automagically, just ask. I've done several portal rearrangements with ISYs and Policy's, and the UDI team has always been 100% accommodating. -Tom
-
Blinking switches
I know we haven't solved the OP's problem yet, but I really love the lengths this community will go to help others out. Kudos @IndyMike -Tom
-
Outdoor Motion Sensor is "Bearable"
When the time comes to replace the battery, I'd do it as quickly as possible if I were you. -Tom
-
Please help me with this simple programming
Make sure you change to this mode for the relay. I coincidentally installed my first 2450 yesterday, and it was defaulted to "momentary", with a 2 second hold time. It is part of the garage kit, where the relay is supposed to push the garage door button, so a standalone IOLinc might be configured differently, but please check and test. You change the setting with the "Options" button at the bottom of the device page in the AC. -Tom
-
Aqara Hub M3 for matter over thread?
3) This won't cost very much (money; time is separate matter) and provides boundless opportunity for more automation fun. If you're into that sort of thing. -Tom
-
Elk Products E27 Alarm Engine interface library.
Mitch: Thanks for this! Do you know if a totally DIY installation is possible? The Elk documentation refers to account registration and approval. Can I buy one these panels, and as a non-dealer create an alarm/automation system for my home? -Tom
-
Gmail “tls error” message
I can't offer much help (I no longer have a functioning 994), but I did have a multiday blackout with Gmail last week. It seems fine now. -Tom
-
Matter color bulb settings...wow!
Did you also notice that the price/unit is wrong for the two-pack? I've noticed that, over time, there are a lot more negative reviews on product pages where the issue is old/wrong version and/or used/repackaged product - to the point where I don't buy some types of electronics from them anymore. I use B&H Photo instead (no affiliation, just a happy customer). -Tom
-
Discover Insteon Address with eisy
I will add, you can actually get that message when the Remotelinc is too close to the PLM. I used to have to step out into my courtyard to add them. Just another thing to try. -Tom
-
How to program LED button on a eight button pad
@dbwarner5 said it well. The key point is, you can only make buttons go on and off as part of a scene that gets activated, manually or programmatically. There's no way around that, and it seems to be the thing most people forget when they haven't programmed their Insteon devices in a long time. Or if you're coming from a Lutron background, where the processor always tracks the state of all devices and turns on LEDs whenever the corresponding devices are in the correct state, no matter how they got that way. If you want that kind of behavior, you have to write the logic yourself. -Tom
-
TEXT Notification Fails with “Mail server failure.”
Thanks to this refresher, I finally hooked up my Polisy to send email and cellular text notifications via Gmail. I do need to report a variance, though. I was following the Wiki entry, but when I go to the 2-step verification part, there was no "App Passwords" at the bottom of the page to choose the ">" from. I think it's because I was creating my first one*. Anyway, I then Google searched for "create a google app password", and one of the links was for Google Help. There, I found a link for "Create and manage your app passwords" which took me directly to a screen where I could enter the app name and get a 16-character password - presumably because I had already logged in to get to the 2-step verification page. Documenting in case it helps someone someday. *because now it's there! -Tom
-
IRlinc Transmitter
I've got a box of popcorn ready. I have both IRLinc devices (T&R) in storage. Never used them. Probably never will. Still, I'm dying to know how this turns out. -Tom
-
Confusion About 'Thread Border Routers' .. Need Help
Not to be too harsh on UDI, but their Zigbee support is limited, too. The aforementioned FP300 sensor can be linked to ZMAtter, but few attributes show up. Full support has been reported for Aqara, Hubitat (what I'm using), and Home Assistant. I'm not sure who does have the best Zigbee support, in the way that UDI has the undisputably best Insteon support. Probably HA because of its giant and tech-savvy user base, but I personally find that platform confusing and opaque. And there's no direct manufacturer support. -Tom
-
Confusion About 'Thread Border Routers' .. Need Help
@Riggins44 I think (but not 100% sure) that the Aqara hub only works with Zigbee devices from Aqara, but also works with Thread devices, probably from anyone. I don't have a hub, but I recently got one of the FP300 mmWave presence sensors. It can be set to Thread or Zigbee through their app. So I had to do a lot of reading on Aqara, and it's true that the hubs do not offer broad multivendor Zigbee support. But you might want to read up on their Thread support. They are relatively cheap, and they have a lot of models including some meant to plug into a USB hub or wall wart, and also some built into cameras. Also, check the Thread/Matter version support level. I think I also read that they are a few revisions behind, which would affect the variety of devices they can support, and their level of support. -Tom