IO Linc and 2466 controller/responder question

ArunGupta2014

I am planning on using IO Linc to monitor a NC pump switch. If the pump malfunctions, the switch changes to OPEN. When this happens, I want a 2466S to turn OFF the AC. The IO Linc and 2466S are on same circuit, maybe a foot apart. The problem is that both these devices being power line only (I realized this too late), the ISY signal does not reach them reliably. I have tried many things including placing a dual band device on the same breaker leg as IO Linc and 2466, but I still cannot reliably monitor/control either of these devices via ISY.

My question is: do I really need ISY in this situation? Can IO Linc directly control 2466S without either of these devices added to ISY?

Thanks

You may want to try the Dual Band module. Plugged into the I/OLincs front pass through outlet.

Yes you should be able to use the Manual Linking feature in the modules. Using the modules set buttons. To link the I/OLincs Sensor Input to the 2466S. Looking at the modules full users manuals will give you the information. You may have to pay attention to the 2466S state when linked. As you can actually link a module into a manual scene. Where an On would have the module linked to be Off.

Like Brian H suggested, I tried plugging in a dual band lamp dimmer module directly into the pass through outlet of IO Linc and it worked 100% reliably. But the pass through outlet is where the pump is connected. So, if I get a dual band Plug-in On/Off Module, I can plug it into the pass through outlet and the pump gets plugged into the On/Off module output. Then I can control everything from ISY instead of relying on direct module linking. Unfortunately, I just checked and the on/off module is sold out.

I just wish all the Insteon devices were dual band. I got caught off-guard with 2466. For the price, I thought it would be a dual band device.

Thanks

Instead of manual linking, I'd first try bringing the devices near the ISY and doing the linking and setup there.  Then put the devices at their final locations.

I agree. I’d create a scene that does what you need using the ISY by bringing them close to ISY for scene creation and then moving to desired location. When you can get a dual band device update so ISY will see scene status.

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded. I was able to find a spare dual band dimmer and the setup is working fine. I added IO Linc and 2466S to ISY and created the scene in ISY. Question is: does the scene only live in ISY? If ISY is unavailable for any reason, would the scene stlll work? What I am trying to find out is whether manual device linking is same as creating a scene in ISY and vice-versa.

Thanks

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded. I was able to find a spare dual band dimmer and the setup is working fine. I added IO Linc and 2466S to ISY and created the scene in ISY. Question is: does the scene only live in ISY? If ISY is unavailable for any reason, would the scene stlll work? What I am trying to find out is whether manual device linking is same as creating a scene in ISY and vice-versa.
Thanks

Scene exists in the devices and ISY knows about the scene to get status control if good comms exist. It operates independently of ISY. Same as manual just easier to create and ISY can be used to replace a defective device and of course can control or see status.

Thanks. I absolutely trust your word!!

I am not an expert in this area, so asked. I am also dealing with another inconsistency totally unrelated to this thread so wanted a better understanding of how Insteon/ISY scenes work.

The guidance I received in this thread helped me overcome a technological limitation in my HVAC system using Insteon as a solution.

Archived