Cant clear log file.....

stevehoyt

I have been running version 2.7.0 on my ISY 99i for many months and have not had any problem reading the log in excel or clearing it.

I recently had to replace my modem and as the house is 500 miles away had not had access for about 4 months.

I now have reestablished my remote connection and all is working as before except I no longer can clear the log file.

I have searched the topics database and saw the one suggesting to clear my Java cache, which I have done, in addition to rebooting the ISY. Neither has helped.

Also in the period when I was without a remote connection I upgraded to Win 7 from Vista.

Anyone have any other suggestions as to the cause of the problem?

Thanks

I tried to clear it again this AM. I get no error messages. Also it appears the event viewer is having problems.

When I open it to look for messages the event viewer window opens but is empty even if I change message level to 3.

Also if I save the log file and event file to my PC the files are created the log file has the header only and the event file is empty.

Hope this helps...

Thanks

Steve

As nothing had changed in my configuration except upgrading to windows 7 32 bit version, I had been suspecting this might be causing my issue.

I read the Nov 29 post regarding logfiles and did some further testing this AM.

It appears my suspicion was correct.

As nearly as I can tell the file UDReport in the directory c:\users\myname\appdata\locallow\ is the cause of the problem. It appears it can not be overwritten, hence every time I opened it in Excel I saw a 3 month old log.

If I save the log file to a local file and open it with Excel I can see the log was cleared and all current events.

For now I can get around the problem but thought you developers would like to know and maybe can fix it...

I saw the comments about upgrading to 2.7.7 from 2.7.0 and am not sure if that might resolve it?

Also I have never tried to upgrade the ISY remotely and am not sure if it can be done. I have no access to the ISY until April so have fears of doing that

Before I was running windows Vista SP1 and had no issues clearing the log file or reading it with the Excel option ( after enabling macros in Excel of course )

After upgrading to Windows 7 I was initially misled into thinking the log file was not being cleared, as each time I cleared it and then viewed the log file in Excel the file appeared to not be cleared. and contained data from 3 months ago the last time I cleared it.

After further research I found the if I did not chose the Excel option and instead saved the log file locally in "my documents" and the opened it manually in Excel all was working as expected in ISY and the issue was somehow related to my PC.

It appears that where ever the temporary data is being saved that becomes the file name UDReport in Exel is not able to be overwritten.

The sequence of events is:

1) Open remote admin

2) Select log file

3) Do you want to read in Excel yes and enable macros.

4) Data loads in excel but is out of date

My guess was the the file the file UDReport in the directory c:\users\myname\appdata\locallow\ is the cause of the problem. It appears it can not be overwritten,as I deleted it and then redid the sequence and got valid data. But trying it a second time it did not update the data......But this is only a guess......

I hope this explains the problem clearly...

Steve

Thanks for the details. I'm not able to duplicate here, however, with Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

UDReport.txt is saved here at:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp

Account I am logged in as is a local Administrator, and User Account Control is set to the "Default" setting.

Anyone else with Windows 7 seeing this?

• 1 month later...

I am having exactly the same problem.

Log files worked fine until I upgraded to Win7 64-bit.

All I get now is the same 3-month old set of files.

Clearing the log file doesn't help.

Saving the log file to my desktop and viewing it shows current data, but hard to read as it isn't in Excel.

I have an ISY 26, just upgraded to 2.7.6 firmware, didn't fix the problem.

This is a real pain...

Thanks!

Bill

Archived