Kasa will no longer allow local access

Jimbo.Automates

From the last link on the page Jimbo linked above, that may have only applied to two UK products:

two smart sockets HS100(UK)4.1 and HS110(UK)4.1 ONLY (Other models and hardware versions would not be affected) 

I wondered why my HS103's still worked with the node server since the original dates were back in 11/2020 and Feb 2021.

My HS103's with hardware version 3.0 and firmware version 1.0.4 work fine with the Kasa node server.

My newer HS103's with hardware version 5.0 and firmware version 1.0.3 do not work the node server.

However all of them continue to work with the app in local only mode. Strange.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

I just checked and my 3 Kawa plugs work (with the nodeserver).

@asbril Out of curiosity, which type of plugs and, if you know it, which hardware and firmware versions, do you have?

(I found It is visible in the Kasa app under the device > cog wheel (upper right), and then Device Info.)

2 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

@asbril Out of curiosity, which type of plugs and, if you know it, which hardware and firmware versions, do you have?

(I found It is visible in the Kasa app under the device > cog wheel (upper right), and then Device Info.)

Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2

firmware 1.13

• Thanks 1

What a shame! I was just looking at the (soon to be) KS220m dimmer/occupancy for my (eventual) new house. OK, scratch that contender. I think as my Insteon dimmer switches die/get flaky, etc. I’ll rip out the guts except for the paddle switch and replace with Shellies.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

I don't understand this industry anymore....

Seems their (flawed) logic is similar to Logitech's Harmony Hubs past closing of local access ports. Rather than focusing on the much higher risks of internet access to their devices, they close up local access "holes" to protect customer's local networks - I guess in case they are compromised?

1 minute ago, DaveStLou said:

Seems their (flawed) logic is similar to Logitech's Harmony Hubs past closing of local access ports. Rather than focusing on the much higher risks of internet access to their devices, they close up local access "holes" to protect customer's local networks - I guess in case they are compromised?

The reply I started typing was in-fact comparing this to logitech's move to shut the customer out and wondering if they would, like logitech, "see the light"..... but I guess we're really past that phase, they saw the light once, decided to partially reverse, then decided to do something else..... i just backspaced and type "I don't understand this industry anymore."

Anyone know what internet traffic to block to prevent firmware updates?   So far all my HS103's working locally, looks like HW: 3.0 SW: 1.0.3 for 4, HW:2.1 SW 1.1.3 for another 4, and I've got 4 unused purchased at the same time as HW 3.0, so they probably are the same.

19 minutes ago, MrBill said:

The reply I started typing was in-fact comparing this to logitech's move to shut the customer out and wondering if they would, like logitech, "see the light"..... but I guess we're really past that phase, they saw the light once, decided to partially reverse, then decided to do something else..... i just backspaced and type "I don't understand this industry anymore."

Anyone know what internet traffic to block to prevent firmware updates?   So far all my HS103's working locally, looks like HW: 3.0 SW: 1.0.3 for 4, HW:2.1 SW 1.1.3 for another 4, and I've got 4 unused purchased at the same time as HW 3.0, so they probably are the same.

Can you explain to me why my Kasa plugs continue to work in ISY ? I practically never open the Kasa App on my phone and only control my 3 Kasa plugs within ISY. The only time I open the App is when adding a new Kasa device, which as I mentioned only happened 3 times and yesterday to check the firmware version.

I wonder if I never open the APP whether the Kasa devices don't update the firmware.

27 minutes ago, asbril said:

Can you explain to me why my Kasa plugs continue to work in ISY ? I practically never open the Kasa App on my phone and only control my 3 Kasa plugs within ISY. The only time I open the App is when adding a new Kasa device, which as I mentioned only happened 3 times and yesterday to check the firmware version.

I wonder if I never open the APP whether the Kasa devices don't update the firmware.

@asbril There's lots of discussion about what is working and is not. If you noticed, the link posted above is dated November of last year. 

As for me, as I posted above, the older ones are working and new ones are not working with the NS but all continue to work "local only" in the app.

18 hours ago, DaveStLou said:

My HS103's with hardware version 3.0 and firmware version 1.0.4 work fine with the Kasa node server.

My newer HS103's with hardware version 5.0 and firmware version 1.0.3 do not work the node server.

However all of them continue to work with the app in local only mode. Strange.

But the pattern is not that simple. I've seen posts on other forums that TP-Link pushed firmware but my experience is that firmware updates were done by the user via the app.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

I can't guarantee anything but when I have tplinkcloud.com and tplinkra.com blocked the app says it can't connect to check for updated firmware.

Welcome to cloud based systems.....Where the buyer doesn't have any control of their purchase. 

I suspect, the amount of users flashing the local software wasnt enough to warrant spending the money to develop and support 2 different firmwares. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveStLou said:

I can't guarantee anything but when I have tplinkcloud.com and tplinkra.com blocked the app says it can't connect to check for updated firmware.

I had never found the firmware update page in the app until reading one of the messages above (I had only found the device info page which shows HW and FW versions.  I don't use the app except to add new devices.  Is it safe to think the FW won't update unless I hit the "update" button? 

29 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I had never found the firmware update page in the app until reading one of the messages above (I had only found the device info page which shows HW and FW versions.  I don't use the app except to add new devices.  Is it safe to think the FW won't update unless I hit the "update" button? 

I can't be sure. That's what I meant by I can't guarantee anything. There is conversation and speculation on other threads (on other forums) that TP-Link pushed a firmware update to their Kasa devices.

8 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

I can't be sure. That's what I meant by I can't guarantee anything. There is conversation and speculation on other threads (on other forums) that TP-Link pushed a firmware update to their Kasa devices.

I guess I'll block the domains.  Now I'll have to rethink my emergency remote (out of town/traveling) ISY reboot procedure tho, because the current method is to power it down and up via the TPlink app.

34 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Now I'll have to rethink my emergency remote (out of town/traveling) ISY reboot procedure tho, because the current method is to power it down and up via the TPlink app.

Yeah, that's what I do too but I use OpenVPN to stay connected to my network.

36 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

Yeah, that's what I do too but I use OpenVPN to stay connected to my network.

Oh good point.... I have a VPN, I'll have to try that.  I normally don't need/use the VPN too often, primarily for American TV news in Mexico.

2 hours ago, MrBill said:

primarily for American TV news in Mexico.

? I used Slingbox for that, but that system is disappearing and now when I travel I use the To Go channels from Xfinity/Comcast to watch US TV.

14 hours ago, asbril said:

? I used Slingbox for that, but that system is disappearing and now when I travel I use the To Go channels from Xfinity/Comcast to watch US TV.

what are the To Go channels?   I have the same cable company, but they only way i've been able to watch like GMA and World News Tonite, is to connect to my home VPN so that it looks like i'm watching at home.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

what are the To Go channels?   I have the same cable company, but they only way i've been able to watch like GMA and World News Tonite, is to connect to my home VPN so that it looks like i'm watching at home.

I think these To Go channels (many cable channels) only come with Xfiniti X1, and some don't work out of the country.  I will miss Slingbox when  it stops working (soon).

Edited by asbril

3 minutes ago, asbril said:

I think these To Go channels (many cable channels) only come with Xfiniti X1, and some don't work out of the country.  I will miss Slingbox when  it stops working (soon).

I have X1, the problem is the channels you can watch on your iPad don't include locals. and ABC drives you to a local station for GMA and World News Tonite, ABC doesn't stream those directly.  and as I recall even CNN/MSNBC are unavailable if you have an IP outside the US.   To solve I just connect my iPad via VPN to the local network at home and use the xfinity Stream app.  Being connected by VPN allows me to get my at home locals.

25 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I have X1, the problem is the channels you can watch on your iPad don't include locals. and ABC drives you to a local station for GMA and World News Tonite, ABC doesn't stream those directly.  and as I recall even CNN/MSNBC are unavailable if you have an IP outside the US.   To solve I just connect my iPad via VPN to the local network at home and use the xfinity Stream app.  Being connected by VPN allows me to get my at home locals.

When I was abroad a few months ago I was indeed not able to access the main networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox), but no problem with the news channels. I plan to travel again in  about 6 weeks and then will try again.

You are also right about the "local" channels. We were in North Carolina a few weeks ago and instead of my South Florida NC I got the Asheville NBC, which was not what I wanted.

I have to figure out more about using VPN. I have VPN service with Norton and recently used it to watch a specific European TV channel, but I don't know whether the Norton VPN service is unlimited and I have also not installed it on my Ipads, though it would be enough for me if it works on my Notebook.