Tell me this doesn’t look like Insteon?

Teken

For those who don’t have a lot of history with Insteon. There was a time where various pieces of hardware was made by other 3rd party vendors. The most famous was the Motion Sensor by Skylink.

Today I was looking at some Amazon suggestions that popped up. Low and behold tell me this outdoor on-off modules isn’t the spitting image of the Insteon hardware?!?

Other than the obvious white paint and external antenna it’s the exact same box?!?

I have a project coming up and might order a few of these $39.XX specials and gut it out and replace the internals with Insteon so I can have a weather rated enclosure like the others on hand.

12327740cda6843c8755987db0c36b38.jpg

5 minutes ago, Teken said:

Appreciate you looking around for some options. Sadly, buying the same at $39.XX CDN makes more sense. No duties, exchange, or delivery fees.

IIRC HD.ca formerly sold Skylink products. I could never find out what protocol they used so avoided buying any. Alas, so many brands have come and gone with The Borg in Canada over the years. IIRC At one time they sold Insteon on the shelves, also.

Yeah, Biden still won't let Canuckistanis drive across but you can fly.

IIRC HD.ca formerly sold Skylink products. I could never find out what protocol they used so avoided buying any. Alas, so many brands have come and gone with The Borg in Canada over the years. IIRC At one time they sold Insteon on the shelves, also.
Yeah, Biden still won't let Canuckistanis drive across but you can fly.

That’s funny you mentioned the protocol for Skylink. More than thirteen years ago I was at Canadian Tire and saw their MS in the close out bins.

The three on hand in the raggedly box was going for $4.XX a piece. I of course scooped them up hoping to integrate them with the Insteon network.

No dice, but later a few months I actually sat down and read the user manual. Low and behold the manual indicates X-10! I cracked open the battery cover as I never saw any X-10 address dials but upon further inspection it was hidden under black foam!

Changed the house codes to whatever and sure enough the MS signal was seen and could be integrated via ISY Programs.

Too bad I sold them off a year later in a garage sale.

Archived