Changing ISY IP address in Home Assistant

carealtor

I moved ISY from 994 to Polisy today.  I can't figure out how to change the ISY IP address in Home Assistant.  The only thing I can see that will give me a place to enter the IP is when setting it up.  That is, it looks like I have to delete and start over?  Anyone run across this and have a solution?  Deleting and starting over would probably mean I have to rename again all the devices.  Not the end of the world, but a pain none the less.

I was wondering this too because deleting and re-adding the integration would be a massive PITA. I just took a look and it looks like it's stored in /config/.storage/core.config_entries

It's a JSON file and the entry containing "domain": "isy994" has the config related to the ISY integration.  I haven't actually tried changing it yet but obviously a backup ahead of time would be advisable.

It's too bad HA is moving towards the GUI config for all of the integrations without providing a good way to edit their config.

In fact this happened to me as well.  After the ISY IP address had changed I deleted the ISY integration and then added it again, and all my ISY devices remained in place and worked. My guess is that you should NOT restart HA  in between.

2 hours ago, fahrer16 said:

I was wondering this too because deleting and re-adding the integration would be a massive PITA. I just took a look and it looks like it's stored in /config/.storage/core.config_entries

It's a JSON file and the entry containing "domain": "isy994" has the config related to the ISY integration.  I haven't actually tried changing it yet but obviously a backup ahead of time would be advisable.

It's too bad HA is moving towards the GUI config for all of the integrations without providing a good way to edit their config.

Looking at /config/.storage/core.device_registry, every Insteon device has the ISY IP address.  So I doubt just changing /config/.storage/core.config_entries is going to give good results.

2 hours ago, MrBill said:

Did you try just restarting home assistant?  I believe Home assistant detects the IP of the ISY on startup.

Yeah, tried that.  No results.  Been awhile, but I don't think HA detected ISY on 994 when I first set it up either.  Had to add it manually. Then again, the ISY Launcher has never found an ISY either and I always have to add manually too.

Chiming in on migrating from the Home Assistant side.

There are two main issues when migrating that could cause some hiccups: IP Address and MAC Address changes -- Home Assistant doesn't provide an easy way to to change IP addresses of an integration (yet, I know it's been discussed), and the ISY994 integration uses the MAC Address to set the unique IDs for each entity--this is to allow multiple ISYs to be used simultaneously.

Migration Options -- (disclaimer: YMMV, and you should ALWAYS backup your Home Assistant config before messing with anything in `.storage` or making significant changes, I'm not responsible if you bork your installation).

1. If you have not done a lot of `entity_id` renaming inside Home Assistant, the easiest way to migrate is to remove and re-add the integration. Once you re-add the integration and it reloads, it's best to restart HA, but not entiriely necessary. Your renaming of `entity_id`s and friendly names will need to be redone.

2. Using a text editor: Find and Replace all instances of the old ISY IP address and MAC address with the new Polisy details inside the following files in your config directory, then restart Home Assistant (safest to stop HA first, but you can do it online as well).

• core.config_entries
  • core.device_registry
  • core.entity_registry
30 minutes ago, carealtor said:

ISY on 994 in HA showed <ip>:80.  I assume it would be port 8080 with ISY on Polisy?

Yes... assuming you're using the default port.    Make certain that you can log into the admin console using http://<IP.Addr.of.Polisy>:8080/desc in finder before you attempt to edit the HA files.  If you can't log in via the admin console with that address, HA won't be able to either.

8 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Yes... assuming you're using the default port.    Make certain that you can log into the admin console using http://<IP.Addr.of.Polisy>:8080/desc in finder before you attempt to edit the HA files.  If you can't log in via the admin console with that address, HA won't be able to either.

Yes, http://<IP.Addr.of.Polisy>:8080/desc is now working again for me.  So we are good there.

Changing all the ISY IPs in HA is a project for another time.  I'm not going to deal with it any more right now.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, shbatm said:

Chiming in on migrating from the Home Assistant side.

There are two main issues when migrating that could cause some hiccups: IP Address and MAC Address changes -- Home Assistant doesn't provide an easy way to to change IP addresses of an integration (yet, I know it's been discussed), and the ISY994 integration uses the MAC Address to set the unique IDs for each entity--this is to allow multiple ISYs to be used simultaneously.

Migration Options -- (disclaimer: YMMV, and you should ALWAYS backup your Home Assistant config before messing with anything in `.storage` or making significant changes, I'm not responsible if you bork your installation).

1. If you have not done a lot of `entity_id` renaming inside Home Assistant, the easiest way to migrate is to remove and re-add the integration. Once you re-add the integration and it reloads, it's best to restart HA, but not entiriely necessary. Your renaming of `entity_id`s and friendly names will need to be redone.

2. Using a text editor: Find and Replace all instances of the old ISY IP address and MAC address with the new Polisy details inside the following files in your config directory, then restart Home Assistant (safest to stop HA first, but you can do it online as well).

• core.config_entries
  • core.device_registry
  • core.entity_registry

I did option 2 and it worked!  I used the HA File Editor and it's Find & Replace function in the 3 files mentioned.  Ultimately only took about 5 minutes.

Archived