Insteon keypad button & backlight synchronization - 2 keypads controlling one scene

SSamuels

I am certainly no expert at Reading the event viewer. Still, I find it easy, at least, to see if commands are being seen by the isy. For example, if you press one of your keypad buttons a, it's not too hard to see whether you are getting an on or off command. I definitely would like to confirm that your buttons are all configured in non toggle (on) mode.

Thanks oberck-

Three event view files attached:

First is KP1_A - this one works correctly to launch the scene

Second is KP2_A - event viewer shows ON command received by the ISY. Scene does not trigger

Third is KP3_A - event viewer shows ON command received by the ISY. Scene does not trigger

Peeling away the onion....

Keypad2_ButtonAPress.txt Keypad1_ButtonAPress.txt Keypad3_ButtonAPress.txt

I must admit that everything looks good as far as I can tell.  Yes, it appears to me also that your keypad buttons are, indeed, sending ON commands.  It also appears to me that your scenes are set up correctly (notwithstanding a few non-insteon link types).  The only thing that is coming to mind at this point is the possibility that the links are not written to the individual devices.  Have you tried "restore device" option for your keypads and other devices within that scene?

• 1 month later...

Confession time. Yesterday I resolved my problem with having several keypads control a scene. This forum gave me several areas to review and ideas to try. Through this, I decided to take a new Insteon keypad and start from scratch.

·       All buttons were ‘non-toggle ON’

·       Each button controlled a scene

·       I wanted each button backlight to be synchronized among the several switches for a visual indicator of what scene was ON and what scenes were OFF

In each scene the one button on each keypad was the controller and the other buttons on the keypad were responders. When the controlling button sent an Insteon ON command, the other buttons responded to the scene by sending an Insteon OFF command. Everything worked perfectly. So, what was different about the other three keypads previously installed?

Self-inflicted harm. When I added each of the non-working keypads to ISY AC, I assumed that the sequence they showed up in the MAIN tab was the sequence of the buttons on the keypad, e.g., xx.xx.xx 1, xx.xx.xx 2, xx.xx.xx. 3, etc. Even if this was the way the keypad was initially added to the AC MAIN tab, by the time I renamed each button, the sequence was out of order. So what I had thought was xx.xx.xx 1 was actually xx.xx.xx 4 and so on. Once I realized this and looked at the button address carefully in the right panel of the MAIN tab, renamed each button correctly and then corrected each button’s use in the scene (correct controller, correct responders) – everything was perfect.

Hopefully my idiocy will help some other newbie avoid or solve a similar problem with multiple keypads controlling scenes. Thanks again to the forum for their time and expertise.

32 minutes ago, SESamuels said:

Confession time. Yesterday I resolved my problem with having several keypads control a scene. This forum gave me several areas to review and ideas to try. Through this, I decided to take a new Insteon keypad and start from scratch.

·       All buttons were ‘non-toggle ON’

·       Each button controlled a scene

·       I wanted each button backlight to be synchronized among the several switches for a visual indicator of what scene was ON and what scenes were OFF

In each scene the one button on each keypad was the controller and the other buttons on the keypad were responders. When the controlling button sent an Insteon ON command, the other buttons responded to the scene by sending an Insteon OFF command. Everything worked perfectly. So, what was different about the other three keypads previously installed?

Self-inflicted harm. When I added each of the non-working keypads to ISY AC, I assumed that the sequence they showed up in the MAIN tab was the sequence of the buttons on the keypad, e.g., xx.xx.xx 1, xx.xx.xx 2, xx.xx.xx. 3, etc. Even if this was the way the keypad was initially added to the AC MAIN tab, by the time I renamed each button, the sequence was out of order. So what I had thought was xx.xx.xx 1 was actually xx.xx.xx 4 and so on. Once I realized this and looked at the button address carefully in the right panel of the MAIN tab, renamed each button correctly and then corrected each button’s use in the scene (correct controller, correct responders) – everything was perfect.

Hopefully my idiocy will help some other newbie avoid or solve a similar problem with multiple keypads controlling scenes. Thanks again to the forum for their time and expertise.

For future reference, If you group devices before you rename them, they'll stay in order after you rename them

Archived