New to Fanlinc - Looking for a 'foolproof' configuration

Hi all,

I've setup a Fanlinc+KPL for use in a guest environment as per the WiKi for v5 firmware. Everything works well, although, if buttons are pressed quickly from any speed back to off, the off is not actioned upon, even though ISY senses the button press, the scene (presumably in the KPL) did not. I've attempted using a program to override without success. Ideally I would like to continue to use scene programming for response speed rather than ISY direct control.

15 minutes ago, mango said:

Hi all,

I've setup a Fanlinc+KPL for use in a guest environment as per the WiKi for v5 firmware. Everything works well, although, if buttons are pressed quickly from any speed back to off, the off is not actioned upon, even though ISY senses the button press, the scene (presumably in the KPL) did not. I've attempted using a program to override without success. Ideally I would like to continue to use scene programming for response speed rather than ISY direct control.

How quickly are you pressing the buttons? I can see that happening if too fast as the insteon devices are still processing the previous commands. Is the behavior still the same when pressed in a normal manner

Turning on to any power level then off once more straight away, results in the KPL off light coming on but the fan on speed remains live even though the speed button light is no longer lit. You are required to function through on then off once more but in a slower manner.

Once the KPL shows off, is there a way for the ISY to backup this information?

2 minutes ago, mango said:

Turning on to any power level then off once more straight away, results in the KPL off light coming on but the fan on speed remains live even though the speed button light is no longer lit. You are required to function through on then off once more but in a slower manner.

Once the KPL shows off, is there a way for the ISY to backup this information?

When you use it a normal pattern what happens? Turning on/off quickly can cause what you experience as signals can get ignored or lost!

A program will not necessarily fix a lost signal issue since the Isy will assume the device itself is off since you are using scenes. 

Turn on your switch. Wait 15 seconds and then turn off. Does it work properly?

Yes everything works correctly if you delay turning off from on (normal use) by a second or two. By design it functions.

Should off be pressed too quickly the issue occurs. It is this issue I am trying to repair using ISY logic, to make it more foolproof.

20 minutes ago, mango said:

Yes everything works correctly if you delay turning off from on (normal use) by a second or two. By design it functions.

Should off be pressed too quickly the issue occurs. It is this issue I am trying to repair using ISY logic, to make it more foolproof.

Logic won't fix that. If anything, you'd increase the likelihood of other things happening due to additional signals going across your network which can potentially slow down other communications that may be occuring.

Id weigh the likelihood of using the button in the manner you describe vs the potential issues.

If you really need to add something, you want to run a query on the fanlinc anytime the button was manually turned off. If the fanlinc is on and the button is off then turn off the fanlinc

This sounds similar to a problem I was having with a KPL and fanlinc. I was controlling fan speed but not lights.

Keep in mind the Insteon “fast on” behavior of scenes. A double tap of the button causes fast on, which turns all the scene responders on even if they are set to Off in the scene. The only workaround is a program.

I don’t mind the 1 second delay with a program for fan speed since it’s not that noticeable but could be with a light involved. Your guests will probably care less about a slight delay than they will about fan and light behavior that’s the opposite of the off that’s intended.

I’d suggest deleting the scene and trying a program as my hunch is it’s fast on behavior not comms related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived