Compatible Dimmable 24V Transformer for LED strip

ThisIsTheWay

5 hours ago, matapan said:

Magnitude Lighting makes a line of transformers which I found works reasonably well with Insteon dimmers.

I have one from Magnitude and one from HitLights.  The look exactly the same. The Magnitude has a noticeable buzz when dimming.  The HitLight does not buzz but it only dimms down to about 50% then it starts to flicker.  Thought there may be something better. 

Most/many use the RGB+++ controllers for LED lighting strips. They dim right down to 1% without any flicker and work on various protocols (WiFi, Zwave, Hue, ZigBee, BlueTooth etc..). Some are dual protocols and compatible with similar RGB+++ bulbs. (Same software drivers and techniques).

16 hours ago, larryllix said:

Most/many use the RGB+++ controllers for LED lighting strips. They dim right down to 1% without any flicker and work on various protocols (WiFi, Zwave, Hue, ZigBee, BlueTooth etc..). Some are dual protocols and compatible with similar RGB+++ bulbs. (Same software drivers and techniques).

Interesting.  I will grab a Zooz 12/24v RGBW controller and see how that works.  Seems to be compatible with home assistant so that fits the bill!

6 hours ago, uffy said:

Interesting.  I will grab a Zooz 12/24v RGBW controller and see how that works.  Seems to be compatible with home assistant so that fits the bill!

Yeah, I have a lot of WiFi RGBWW strips and bulbs now. They don't report status back to ISY (using my bridge software) though but I don't see a lot of usage for the confirmation, most of the time and I can do groupings of bulbs, without the ISY popcorn effects.

6 hours ago, uffy said:

what does that mean?

When you turn on a group of lights they show a sequence of them turning on a different times. This can be very annoying. Insteon scenes can make lights synchronized looking whereas many other protocols cannot do this. I use MagicHome protocol bulbs and strips and external software can make them appear more simultaneous.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:48 PM, larryllix said:

Yeah, I have a lot of WiFi RGBWW strips and bulbs now. They don't report status back to ISY (using my bridge software) though but I don't see a lot of usage for the confirmation, most of the time and I can do groupings of bulbs, without the ISY popcorn effects.

Would you be comfortable letting me know which brand/model of wifi controller and strip you prefer? 

2 hours ago, uffy said:

Would you be comfortable letting me know which brand/model of wifi controller and strip you prefer? 

I use MagicHome compatible controllers. They are WiFi based, 12v or 24v switching controllers, good for about 15.3 feet strips of RGBWW/CW, can mix WW/CW and RGB, and handle up to 6 amperes of LED strips. I use 12v PSUs and have found a wall-wart type 12v, 3A supply can run them easily. The WW LEDs produce a beautiful rich white suitable for kitchen/work surfaces as well as most living situations.

There is an old thread about various RGBW controllers a few years back. There are several brands that are compatible, and there is a MagicHome NS. I wrote my own bridge software and operate it from four ISY NRs to give me faster grouping without popcorn effects. My NRbridge software is currently running on my polisy along with ISY and PG2.

The controllers I am using are LEDenet brand. All compatiible with many brands of RGBCW (five LED colours) bulbs too.

post-4697-0-48217700-1494172757_thumb.jpg

Archived